mutt & qmail: mail doesn't arrive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: mutt & qmail: mail doesn't arrive Reply with quote

Hello!

I use mutt together with qmail. As a full-fledged mail server running in the background just for sending mail to a smarthost is a bit of overkill for me, qmail was set up as a null client. Everything seems to work (mutt says the message was sent and gives no error), however, sent messages don't arrive.

/var/qmail/control/smtproutes:
Code:
:my.providers.smtp.server

~/.muttrc:
Code:
[...]
sendmail="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject"
[...]

"ebuild /var/......... config" was run after installing qmail as advised by emerge. Have I forgotten anything? Do I have to run something of the qmail package in background?

Regards,
Peha
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the olden days, before spammers were everywhere, I think that almost all mail servers could be used by mutt without being started--that is, if you had sendmail on the system, and and sent something from mutt, it'd go. (Think this is still true in RH--it isn't in FreeBSD).

However, various (superficial) experimentation indicates that on most O/S's and distros these days, you have to start sendmail, postfix or whatever. So, I wonder what happens if you start qmail up and then try.

BTW, if you don't want a full fledged server, assuming you're not running a mail server there, you might want to try nbsmtp. If you go to the documentation section, there's a piece written by me, but it's not as lame as you'd expect, called mutt and the single user. It talks about setting up nbsmtp or ssmtp to use as the smtp client.

Hope this is of some use

Scott
Peha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, various (superficial) experimentation indicates that on most O/S's and distros these days, you have to start sendmail, postfix or whatever. So, I wonder what happens if you start qmail up and then try.

Hmm, there are many qmail programs:
Code:
# cd /var/qmail/bin/
# ls qmail*

qmail-clean
qmail-control
qmail-getpw
qmail-inject
qmail-local
qmail-lspawn
qmail-newmrh
qmail-newu
qmail-pop3d
qmail-popup
qmail-pw2u
qmail-qmqpc
qmail-qmqpd
qmail-qmtpd
qmail-qread
qmail-qstat
qmail-queue
qmail-remote
qmail-rspawn
qmail-send
qmail-showctl
qmail-smtpd
qmail-start
qmail-tcpok
qmail-tcpto

I tried qmail-start (exited immediately), qmail-send (wated for input from stdin) and qmail-smtpd (didn't solve the problem).

Does this have something to do with the ebuild telling me to "enable" (?) the "/etc/init.d/svscan rc file" and do
Code:
# ln -s /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send /service/qmail-send
# ln -s /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd /service/qmail-smtpd
?

Quote:
BTW, if you don't want a full fledged server, assuming you're not running a mail server there, you might want to try nbsmtp.

The problem is, nbsmtp and ssmtp both have no queue support. :-(

Regards,
Peha
Peha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm trying to install nullmailer instead of qmail now. It is the only one of the small null clients which has queue support. Unfortunately, there's no ebuild for it and the tarball doesn't work on my system, but I'll fiddle around with the RPMs a bit.

Update: It works, hurray! Gee, that was one hell of an installation for a Linux newbie like me. Working with broken makefiles and incomplete RPMs made me half crazy.

If anyone has use for it, here's my init.d/nullmailer file:
Code:

#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later
#
# Modified version of an init.d script found at <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/
# pool/main/n/nullmailer/nullmailer_1.00RC5-16.diff.gz>

start() {
   ebegin "Starting nullmailer"
   start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --chuid nullmail --exec /usr/sbin/nullmailer-send > /dev/null 2>&1 &
   eend $?
}

stop() {
   ebegin "Stopping nullmailer"
   start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --chuid nullmail --exec /usr/sbin/nullmailer-send
   eend $?
}

Regards,
Peha
whit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Using Qmail for outgoing Reply with quote

scottro wrote:
So, I wonder what happens if you start qmail up and then try

You're right, Qmail won't send outgoing mail unless there's a demon running. What's required is:
Code:
rc-update add svscan default
to have it available on boot, or
Code:
/etc/init.d/svscan start
to start it manually. Then, if the instructions at the end of the qmail build have been followed, which for the current build include doing:
Code:
ebuild /var/db/pkg/net-mail/qmail-1.03-r8/qmail-1.03-r8.ebuild config
ln -s /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send /service/qmail-send
ln -s /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd /service/qmail-smtpd
qmail will happily send outgoing mail.
ancientt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Well. Almost always Reply with quote

My ISP doesn't like me. I have my hostname set as desired and all is well internally but when it tries to send email qmail gives the error:

533 my.hostname does not exist.

I think this is because they expect a host name that is part of the dhcp assignment. I can send with ssmtp but not with qmail.

I figured that maybe using my IP address instead of a hostname in
/var/qmail/control/me
would fix it..
but then it didn't like the sender's address. *sigh*

So I changed mutt's configuration to show the senders address as one they would recognize and tried again.

Now they say they won't do relaying for the server name they assigned to me.

Okay, so I changed the me to their assigned server name.

That worked!!! Now they'll let me send email. Now they'll let me send email regardless of who the sender shows to be.

Anybody know a way around manually browsing or this method of finding out what my ISP will let me send with?

I'm using COX Cable for Internet but I suspect this has happened to others.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: