Running a 32-bit libc5 application
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Running a 32-bit libc5 application Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd like to be able to run WordPerfect 8 for Linux, which is a very old libc5 32-bit application, under Gentoo on an AMD64. I've got this program running without too much trouble under SUSE's AMD64 version by installing some libc5 compatibility RPMs. It then runs with no problems. When I install the same RPMs under Gentoo (by converting them to tarballs and extracting their files into the /emul/linux/x86 directory tree, adding the relevant directory to /etc/ld.so.conf, and running ldconfig), I get nothing. Typing the program name produces the following error message:

Code:
bash: /opt/wp8/wpbin/xwp: No such file or directory

This is the message I get when running it on a 32-bit distribution with no compatibility libraries installed. The libraries I've installed are called ld.so-1.9.5-13, libc5compat-1.0-4, and libc5compat-X11-1.0-4. Typing "ldconfig -p" shows that the system is finding the libraries I installed. Does anybody have any suggestions for what else I might need to add, what I might need to replace, or what configurations I might need to change? Thanks.[/code]
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have known I'd fix it ten minutes after posting a plea for help! :? In case anybody else has this problem in the future, it turns out that the location of one of the libraries, ld-linux.so.1, is hard-coded to be in /lib, so by placing it in the /emul/linux/x86 directory tree, I guaranteed that it couldn't be found. Once I moved that library to /lib, everything started working.
slackerman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Look at the shell script you're calling... Reply with quote

Take a look at the shell script you're calling. It's not finding '/opt/wp8/wpbin/xwp'.

- slackerman

P.S.: In Gentoo, the "appropriate/accepted" way to add things to your ld.so.conf file is to:

1. Edit a file in the env.d (or add one to the directory...)
2. Run /usr/sbin/env-update

It's a little bit more organized way of doing things...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: