which application for audio streams?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormynorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: which application for audio streams? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am running gentoo (kernel 2.4.23) on a Ultra 10 Creator 3D. windowmanager xfce, sound via xmms and esound. Xmms works nicely playing files, cds and to listen to mp3 streams via the web, but how am I supposed to listen to realplayer or Windows media streams? it seems there is a lot of realplayer versions and after i researched the web for a while it seems I have to use realplayer-8-r4 (since this is at least mentioned ONCE to run stable on sparc), but going to the gentoo package database it is not there any longer and all other versions are marked unstable. I would like to know, what you guys are using and what your experiences are?

Anyway, does anybody know how to go about that problem in general: Imagine: I am looking for some task that I want my computer to do...( lets say streaming audio files)...and I would like to find software that does exactly that AND also runs stable on a sparc..(without browsing through the entire list and clicking on every single one)...did I miss the search feature on the portage database?? would it not be nice if could view all lets say sound applications that have been prooven useful for the sparc at one glance??? I know this works for the new ebuilds, but I did not figure out how to do this for the other categories
Just a suggestion.

Thanks for reading my post

Norman
mad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried mplayer ?

mad
stormynorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have not, since none of the versions of mplayer in portage is marked "stable" on sparc. Which version does work??

btw: the same is true for most other apps, like "openoffice" etc. Possible that the one or the other version works nicely, but am I supposed to try them all?? Looking through the "Change log" only helps sometimes.....I am right now setting up my linux/sparc for using it as a computer for daily use and to finally make my WINDOOF-machine obsolete. If I need to try out every software in all versions that will take a while. It would be nice if the forum would talk more about those (end-user-related) things...(or "wine" would work on the sparc ;-))
Can please somebody provide info about which software he/she is using....maybe post a commented "world"-file?

thx a lot cheers

Norman
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made mplayer-0.92 stable on sparc, so next time your sync your tree, it should be ready to emerge.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: