xfree build bug?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thejeff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: xfree build bug? Reply with quote

I'm trying to emerge xfree on a new install on a Sun Ultra 10. It's dying during the compile, in
`/var/tmp/portage/xfree-4.3.0-r5/work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xf86cfg'

trying to build `text-mode.o'.

The complete command line and error message:
gcc -c -O2 -O2 -O2 -O2 -mcpu=ultrasparc -pipe -ansi -pedantic -Wno-return-type -w -I../common -I../scanpci -I../loader -I../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support -I../../../../../programs/Xserver/include -I../../../../../exports/include/X11 -I../../../../../lib/font/include -I../../../../.. -I../../../../../exports/include -Dlinux -D__sparc__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO -DXF86CONFIG=\"XF86Config\" -DUSE_MODULES -DHAS_NCURSES -DPROJECT_ROOT=\"/usr/X11R6\" -DXF86CONFIGDIR=\"/etc/X11\" text-mode.c
In file included from text-mode.c:47:
loader.h:78: unnamed fields of type other than struct or union are not allowed

Looking at that header file, line 78 is the Bool in the following struct:
typedef union {
unsigned long num;
char * str;
double realnum;
Bool bool;
OptFrequency freq;
} ValueUnion;

The file will compile if I change the 'bool' to something else,say 'boolval' so I assume it's a problem of 'bool' being used as a type somewhere? Just changing it will certainly cause something to fail at link time and emerge blows away my changes anyway so there has to be a better solution.

Is there a config flag or option set somwhere that would affect this? Where would this problem be coming from? I haven't been changing any global header files or anything that would add strange typedefs. The systems only been up for a few days and this is the most programming I've done on it yet.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks alot

thejeff
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm... This looks familiar... Oh, yeah... click it and weep, baby. You may want to add yourself as a Cc: ...
thejeff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Great... Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer. Looks like downgrading ncurses may be a workaround. I'll give that a try.

And I was hoping it would be something simple. First gentoo install, and I run into a genuine bug. Joy.

Thanks

thejeff
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just fixed this in portage so that ncurses is downgraded to prevent this bug from happening. If you've done it yourself that works just as well :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: