Partition Setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cto2mac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Partition Setup Reply with quote

I have two hard drives both are 6Gb I would like to get Gentoo running on my system using the both of them. How would you suggest the breakout of my partitions be? 100M for /boot and such?

Thanks
thegarbageman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Partition Setup Reply with quote

Personally, I would use about 32M for boot (I would never use all of 100M), 2xRAM for Swap, the rest of hda for "/" and all 6GB of hdb for either /home or /usr (depending on whether I plan on having alot of personal files or alot of programs). Just an opinion.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The opinions on partitioning a system are quite varied. There is no one 'correct' way to do it. Until you have a need to do otherwise, the recommendations in the Installation Instructions will work just fine.

thegarbageman: Out of curiosity, why 32MB for /boot? Why not 30, or 35? Just curious.
dubiousoul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think this is an excellent candidate for Software RAID.

Set up the first HDD with say 128M /boot, 2*RAM swap, the rest /. Get your system up and running all spiffy-like. Then set up software raid say level 0 (linear) so that in the end / is about 12GB. Or, you could go with any of the other raid levels for better or worse or different performance. Check out the latest Software-RAID HOWTO at http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/.

Why 128M for /boot? Because.. we all love powers of two, right?

--Dylan.
bluesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: re: linux software RAID Reply with quote

Hey, dubiousSoul. Very interesting input. I read the article HOWTO but don't know how to maake of it. It doesn't explain if we should use raid software or not. How much will be the performance boost and is there any disadvantages. We need more imput from you, please. :)

"free as the wind"
millenium_psyrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the software RAID. However, don't do the 2 * RAM option. That is essentially a Microsoft formula, and it is illogical. The RAM the more swap space necessary. WRONG. It is actually the inverse. The more RAM the less swap space necassary. I have 320 MB RAM, no way do I need 640Mb Swap file. I have 256Mb for swap, and Linux never touches it.

(c) Craig Sproule freely redistributable under the GPL version 1.2.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millenium_psyrax wrote:
That is essentially a Microsoft formula, and it is illogical.
Actually, it has nothing to do with MS, and is logical. Earlier in linux, systems with small amounts of RAM needed the swapspace, especially when using X. Another reason behind swap being slightly more than 2 times the amount of RAM, is for memory dumps.
bluesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: re: memory dumps Reply with quote

For most home desktops, probably memory dump isn't of any practical use. Some people don't even know what it is. :)

"free as the wind"
dubiousoul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: re: linux software RAID Reply with quote

bluesky wrote:
How much will be the performance boost and is there any disadvantages. We need more imput from you, please. :)

Of course, the performance boosts differently depending on which RAID you go with. In the howto there are 5 different RAID setups explained.. and all of these assume you have your HDDs on separate IDE busses, as the only device on that bus. Allow me to elaborate for a minute..

First of all, most people only have two IDE busses to choose from, so it's hard to comply with the howto's advice exactly. Secondly, whether or not you care all depends on which of the five RAID setups you go with. However, there are very good reasons why this is the optimal setup. The primary reason one should have HDDs on separate busses is because when a hard drive fails, it sometimes takes the IDE bus out with it. When the bus goes, it can kill all devices on it. So if you have both HDDs on one IDE bus and one drive dies, you risk losing the other. The next best reason to have your HDDs on separate IDE busses is because it's both the bus and the hard drive that are limited in speed. So if you choose to have your data split between both HDDs on the same bus, you're not going to see any increase in writing speed (most likely your speed will be slower than if you just had one drive). Putting these two concepts together, if you split your HDDs between IDE busses, and one dies, and you're using a redundancy RAID schema, your system won't go down. You'll still have your complete filesystem on a good bus, and the software will 'know' to compensate. Now let's examine the RAID levels and why I would suggest linear..

*please note that in my last post I said raid-0 (linear).. i must have been tired.. linear-raid and raid-0 are two very different options. i would suggest linear, but really raid0 is also a pretty good option for this setup.

Linear-RAID
This takes n disks and writes data to disk 1 until it's full.. then to disk 2.. disk 3.. disk n-1.. disk n. It basically views all of your hard drives as one linear array. You don't get any performance boosts, even if your HDDs are split between two IDE busses. Pitfalls -- there's no redundancy, if a drive fails you'll lose all data on that drive.

RAID-0
This takes n disks, where n >= 2. It splits data between the two drives, writing say 4k to disk1, then 4k to disk2, then 4k to disk 1, and so on. This can tweak performance very nicely (assuming the IDE busses have at least max(N,P) MB/s throughput and the drives are on separate busses). If disk 1 can handle N MB/s and disk 2 can handle P MB/s, then you can get very close to N*P MB/s data storage. Pitfalls -- there's no redundancy, if a drive fails you lose all data on BOTH drives because you can't rebuild what you don't know... also, if you have both drives on the same IDE bus you'll only be able to get max(N,P) MB/s performance, not N*P MB/s... and lastly, if you have another device on the same bus as a HDD with K MB/s performance, you might not be able to get more than min(N,P)*K MB/s.

RAID-1
This takes n disks, where n >= 2. (I'm using this RAID level at work, because it's very important that we don't lose any data there). RAID-1 views your disks as mirror images of one another. Any data it writes to disk1 is also written to disk2, disk3, and so on. Perks are that if you lose a HDD or two or n-1, your system is still up. As long as there is 1 HDD to use, all the data is preserved. Also there's a seek-time perk which I won't go into here. Pitfalls -- performance is often slightly worse than if you only had 1 drive, because data has to be shuffled off to many more than one drive.. also if you have both HDDs on one IDE bus, your performance will seriously suck, being split in half so that data can be shoved down the line twice per write.. lastly you don't get any more space than the least amount of space that any drive has.

RAID-2 and RAID-3
I have no idea what happened to these. They're often supported in hardware raid, but perhaps software raid just believes 4 and 5 are better for their purposes.

RAID-4 and RAID-5
There's no need for me to go into these here.. they require more than 2 drives.

RAID-10
I swear there used to be a RAID-10. I have no idea what it did.. of course I could find out with some quick google-ing.. but I don't think you all really care either. :wink:

So I'll stop here.. this post is hella long, and probably more information than you all cared to hear in the first place. If you're serious about all of this, PLEASE don't take my word for anything, go read the HOWTO!

Take care,
--Dylan.
dubiousoul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(A comment on raid-0)

I think that performance is actually a little worse than the HOWTO and I had previously expected. I imagine that given two drives on separate IDE busses, without any other devices, if we think of

drive1 has a rating of N MB/s
drive2 has a rating of P MB/s
busses have a rating of at least max(N,P) MB/s

then one might initially expect a performance of N*P MB/s, but really you're not going to be able to write at the product of the performance of these two drives, you can only write data at the minimum speed supported squared (because it wouln't make sence to write more to one drive than another and say we're done.. by definition raid0 writes exactly half to disk1 and half to disk2). Therefore I'm pretty sure that with the stated setup you should expect ( min(N,P) )^2 MB/s at best. I say at best because you're not always going to get the full writing capability of any drive, there are things like seeks and checksums going on if I remember correctly.

To explore further.. if the drives are on the same IDE bus, you're not going to get max(N,P) MB/s performance, because like before you have to write half to one and half to the other. So in this case you should expect at best min(N,P) MB/s.

Lastly, let's suppose you have ide1 supporting drive1 and ide2 supporting drive2 and cdrom2. Say cdrom has a rating of K MB/s. Now, I have absolutely no concept of how the ide bus decides what speed it can write at if you have one device capable of P MB/s and another of K MB/s, but we can guess a worst-case scenario. Imagine we're reading the cd as fast as we can and writing to the drive as fast as we can.. not terribly uncommon in some cases. The cd is capable of about K MB/s and drive2, taking only half the data, is capable of again ( min(N,P) )^2 MB/s. But we have to account for the CD read.. let's say it gets the same niceness as the HDDs to be fair. Then we can say that our maximum access from IDE bus2 is about avg(P,K) / 2 MB/s, which is indeed slower than P MB/s. Moving backwards, this would make our best case throughput in this setup with everything running ( min( N, avg(P,K) / 2 ) )^2 MB/s. Not very good.

That's a very good explanation of why you really want your hard drives on separate IDE busses, as the sole device on that bus.

--Dylan.
millenium_psyrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
millenium_psyrax wrote:
That is essentially a Microsoft formula, and it is illogical.
Actually, it has nothing to do with MS, and is logical. Earlier in linux, systems with small amounts of RAM needed the swapspace, especially when using X. Another reason behind swap being slightly more than 2 times the amount of RAM, is for memory dumps.

That was then, this is now. Most systems today sell with 256Mb RAM standard. Recommending 2 * RAM size for swap is *illogical*. If you are smart enough to use memory dumps, you are smart enough to make your Swap size large enough to cater for its use. Don't tell newbies to waste their hard drive, and don't make out Linux in a standard setup needs by rule of thumb, a large swap file

(c) Craig Sproule freely redistributable under the GPL version 1.2.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a quote from Linus. Earlier 2.4 kernels were more swap hungry than recent ones. Also, the RedHat recommendation for swap space is about 2xRAM (for < 2GB). So it is not really obsolete or outre advice.
Quote:

>
>What is the recommended amount of swap with the 2.4.x kernels?
>
>The standard rule is usually memory x 2. (But that is more a Solaris
>superstition than anything else.)

"memory x 2" is probably a good rule. With normal usage patterns, at the
point you fully use up your swap, you _want_ the system to start killing
things off due to out-of-memory errors.

But there really is no "fixed" rule: it can depend a lot on your usage
patterns. Some people have a lot of big background processes that don't
have a big active footprint but that have a lot of "idle" pages that can
successfully be swapped out - using up tons of swap-space without
actually causing any bad behaviour.

And you might end up adding more memory..

Linus

millenium_psyrax wrote:
That was then, this is now. Most systems today sell with 256Mb RAM standard. Recommending 2 * RAM size for swap is *illogical*. If you are smart enough to use memory dumps, you are smart enough to make your Swap size large enough to cater for its use. Don't tell newbies to waste their hard drive, and don't make out Linux in a standard setup needs by rule of thumb, a large swap file
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: