Problems with Modprobe
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OverLordTed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: Problems with Modprobe Reply with quote

After much distress I have gotten my CD to boot but I am now faced with my first problem which is the modprobe command... When I use the PCI-Setup command the only things that appear are loop and lvm-mod. To the best of my knowledge I beleive that thre are more mods that need to br probd but when I look at the list of mods I am not sur ewhich to choose. What I gather from this is that this is attempting to get gentoo to recognize my network card so as to help ne1 who might have some info for me I have a Realteck Network card. The main problem though is that when attempting to load any mods I get the error "Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs-r1/modules.dep"

If any1 could tell me what I am lookig for to probe or perhaps tell me what this error is an indication of it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The module you want for your realtek card is most likely 8139too. The 1.4 Live CD offers an auto setup of your network (as stated in the install docs), invoked with net-setup eth0. If you have a raid controller card or chip and wish to use it, you will need to probe that module as well - however the 1.4 cd is bugged for raid setups at the moment - you need to boot from a 1.2 CD and install from there.

As long as you have networking available and are able to identify your hard drives, then that is pretty much all you need just to begin the install.
nomoore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try insmod instead of modprobe
Code:
#insmod 8139too
OverLordTed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Problemo... Reply with quote

I did as told and it seems that it should work except for one tiny little problem...There is no mod by that name...Is it possible that that is on teh 1.2 cd and that I have to boot from that to probe the mods?

Thnx in advance
OverLordTed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: OverLordTed Reply with quote

Well I have found out that using the net-setup command and set up my internet and I am able to ping IP addresses. THe problem is I can not log onto the internet through lynx. This comes to be a problem when I have to emerge sync and it needs to log onto the internet through lynx...Note: I didnt have to download the tarball because I am using the stage one and that is the reason I didnt realize this problem before this...Also I had one other problem where there was an error when I was untaring the stage1 installer....It seemed to be all fine and dandy and then after a few seconds of decompressign an error popped up saying that there was a delay in error due to previous messages...That didnt help out much when it didnt exactly tell me what error was occuring...If someone could help me with my lynx woes I feel that I would be able to download the stage 1 tarball from the ibilio ftp site and that might help fix the decompressing problems

Thanx again to those wh ocan help
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use wget instead. Lynx is used for browsing, not downloading. If you can use another computer to find the address of the stage tarball you want to download, use #wget http://path/to/your/tarball. It will download it into the directory you are currently in - might be a way to tell it to download somewhere else, just use #wget --help to see what other options are available.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: