Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do you need to have USE flag X on install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Do you need to have USE flag X on install? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm doing my first install on a sparc Ultra2. I switched boxes from the first attempt..seems it was a hardware issue on that one.

I'm at the install part of emerge system. I've had it halt on a few thing...at this point..it keeps trying to emerge xfree base....and blows up..can't find a good reason..and nothing in forums.

At this point, I'm thinking of putting -X in the USE flags in make.conf...will this cause me any problems later after the emerge system when I DO get to the part where I want to install X Windows? If I take it out of the USE flags...it looks like emerge system will not try to do it. I was guessing maybe it needs other parts after system is done. I don't recall X being even tried to emerge on my x86 boxes on the emerge system part of new install...

Guessing maybe it got in there somehow with the workarounds I've done so far...

Anyway, will this hurt anything at this point of the install for putting X on later?

TIA,

cayenne
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's perfectly fine to leave X til later on, as well as adding -X you'll probably need to take out a few other USE flags to prevent X being pulled in as a dependency. Off the top of my head other ones to take out are: gnome, kde, gtk, tcltk. There may be another one I've forgotten, but if you use:

Code:
emerge -pv --tree system

It will show you what is being installed as a dependency and which USE flags are set for each package.

When you do install X you may need to reemerge some packages to get their extra X functionality when you change the USE flags back.

HTH
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: