View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: [HOW-TO] Automounting with KDE-3.5.2 + pmount Reply with quote

KDE 3.5 has introduced a new mechanism for the detection of removal media. Upon a new medium being inserted, a notification box will pop-up, yielding a list of common actions for that type of media. It can range from a simple "Open in New Window" choice, or a "Play DVD Video in Kaffeine", depending. It is fully configurable, and represents a leap in Linux userfriendliness. Previous windows users in particular will find this feature extremely helpful.

Of course, there is a minimal amount of configuration involved to get it just right, and that's why I've created this guide to hopefully catch the key points.

Enabling Automounting with KDE

Step 1 - Set USE Flags

In order for automounting to commence, we must set some USE flags in /etc/make.conf to ensure that the backends are properly in place. This includes DBUS and the HAL daemon.

Code:
cat /etc/make.conf

USE="arts dbus hal kde qt"

Step 2 - Enabling ~arch for needed packages

NOTE: This guide may or may not work with the stable versions of udev, dbus and hal. However, it has been *tested* with the unstable versions. Feel free to give it a try with your own setup and report back results.

As this guide is designed for KDE 3.5, and 3.5 remains in the unstable branch of portage, we must be sure that it and all needed packages are located in /etc/portage/package.keywords. This section does NOT apply if you are running ~arch globally (ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in make.conf). There are many packages to unmask in this manner, so we'll use a simple bash script to accomplish the job.

Code:
   # cd /usr/portage  # or wherever your PORTAGE_DIR is
  > for x in kde-*/*
  > do
  >    echo "<=${x}-3.5.3 ~<arch>" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
  > done

Of course, replace ~<arch> with the architecture for your system. We also must unmask some unstable versions of KDE's dependencies. Add the following lines to your /etc/portage/package.keywords file:

Quote:
~sys-fs/udev-079 ~<arch>
~sys-apps/dbus-0.50 ~<arch>
~sys-apps/hal-0.5.5.1 ~<arch>
sys-apps/pmount ~<arch>

This ensures that the unstable versions of the required packages are merged, but no future unstable versions are merged, ensuring compatibility when updates are released. If you would prefer less recent but more tested versions of the packages, you can simply add
Quote:
~sys-apps/hal-0.47 ~<arch>
~sys-apps/dbus-0.36.2 ~<arch>
sys-apps/pmount ~<arch>

Step 3 - (Re)merging KDE

Assuming KDE is already installed on your system, you must now rebuild the needed packages to provide support for dbus and hal. The best way to accomplish this is to simply run

Code:
emerge -uDNav world

Upon completion, the packages will have been rebuilt, and dbus and hal will be merged. If this is a new installation, simply set your USE flags as described in step 1, then emerge kde-meta (for the split ebuilds) or emerge kde (for the monolithic ebuilds). You can also emerge kdebase-startkde for a minimalistic environment, however this will not provide you with the needed funcitonality for this guide to work. You must at least emerge konqueror following that.

Step 4 - Services and pmount

Now that your KDE installation is installed as required, we must start the services required. Begin by ensuring that you now have the following packages installed: (If you have elected for the more stable versions of packages, the version numbering will look slightly different)

Code:
# emerge -pv udev dbus hal pmount

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-fs/udev-079  0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/dbus-0.50-r2  USE="+X -debug -doc -gcj -gtk -mono +python +qt +xml2" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/hal-0.5.5.1-r1  USE="+acpi -debug -doc -pam_console -pcmcia" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/pmount-0.9.6  USE="+crypt" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

The USE flags can vary, but that's the general idea. The next thing we must do is add these services to the default runlevel:

Code:
rc-update add dbus default
rc-update add hald default

Step 5 - Add User to Required Groups

Your user must be in the plugdev group for automounting to function as required.

Code:
gpasswd -a <USER> plugdev

Step 6 - Reboot and touchup

Now reboot your computer, login to KDE, ensure that the default settings remain in the KControl Center in Peripherals -> Storage Media. Finally, choose Desktop -> Behavior -> Device Icons and check the Show Device Icons checkbox. Apply the settings, and you're good to go. If all goes well, you should now be able to plug in a disc, (be it floppy, cdrom, or USB) and have it immediately recognized by KDE. You don't even need fstab entries!

Step 6.1 - Ivman and its role

Ivman is a tool used for the automounting of removal media. Upon insertion, the device will be automatically mounted in the /media directory. However, in order to constrain this topic to the point (the ability to mount and unmount with the kde 3.5 dialogue notification), we ask for you to take questions about ivman and its role to another thread, such as This Thread. For some more info on ivman and its setup, take a look at this Gentoo-Wiki Post

I hope this guide was of some help, as I see there were many problems getting this to work correctly for some users.

Last edited by Raftysworld on Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:32 pm; edited 9 times in total
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this will help some people. A of couple suggestions/points.

1. I don't think the user needs to be in the haldaemon group.

2. Maybe setting the minimum unstable version needed for hal, dbus, and udev for KDE 3.5 would be a better idea. Having it ~arch for all unstable versions might be OK for people with experience, but a lot of noobies will follow this and this could led to a lot more problems or issues. (Look at all the issues in the udev 07X series)
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
I'm sure this will help some people. A of couple suggestions/points.

1. I don't think the user needs to be in the haldaemon group.

2. Maybe setting the minimum unstable version needed for hal, dbus, and udev for KDE 3.5 would be a better idea. Having it ~arch for all unstable versions might be OK for people with experience, but a lot of noobies will follow this and this could led to a lot more problems or issues. (Look at all the issues in the udev 07X series)

1) Guide updated to reflect that change

2) The problem is that I'm not completely sure of the minimum versions required, I know simply that the udev 073 series didnt work, but the update to 077 fixed those problems. I'll do some testing/forum surfing and hopefully find out..
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can verify that it worked fine with these versions:
Code:
udev-070-r1 (stable)
hal-0.47-r2
dbus-0.36.2
pmount-0.96

Newer versions may or may not be better. (I know there were a lot of issues in the 0.71 to 0.77-rX range of udev.)
lovedaddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Ivman Reply with quote

Just a quick questio, how does Ivman fit into all this? I was wanting to setup automounting but do it so that it would work at the command line too. Would it be possible to have one solution that fits all?
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ivman Reply with quote

lovedaddy wrote:
Just a quick questio, how does Ivman fit into all this? I was wanting to setup automounting but do it so that it would work at the command line too. Would it be possible to have one solution that fits all?

I don't know, but there are several threads already about ivman. (Turning off storage media in kcontrol is probably a good start)

I would suggest avoiding talking about ivman in this thread since this is where users tend to end up with problems.
They start trying all the different automount methods (gvm, ivman, pmount), and then they start having problems.
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivman is not required since KDE-3.5, pmount and the new notification dialog render it useless in this setup, as the devices are mounted upon your selection in the notification. Ivman would actually conflict with this setup. Setting it up at the command line doesn't really go along with this guide, so I'd suggest some other solution be found because this is specifically designed for KDE and the graphical aspect.
nunogt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Raftysworld, this is a quite informative tip :)

Will try it soon.
PhanLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason kde 3.5 on ym ssystem si still trying to mount using mount and fstab-syjnc even though that is nto available anymore
message is unable to mount /dev/sdg1, not found in fstab or mtab

any idea what could that be ?
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of udev are you using?
PhanLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now udev-79 update from udev-71 (did not work with 71 so i put 79 to see if that is going to help)

this is the exact message from kde (doesnt look like its using pmount)

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: can't find /dev/sdg1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Portage 2.0.53 (default-linux/amd64/2005.0, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5-r3, 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre9
distcc 2.18.3 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [disabled]
dev-lang/python: 2.3.5, 2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.16.1-r1
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.22
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.11-r3
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon64 -fomit-frame-pointer -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fweb -frename-registers -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /etc/tomcat5 /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib64/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon64 -fomit-frame-pointer -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fweb -frename-registers -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo http://mirror.tucdemonic.org/gentoo/ ftp://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://adelie.polymtl.ca/"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="amd64 X a52 aac aalib acl acpi adns alsa apache2 audiofile avi bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts bonobo bzip2 canvas cdda cdparanoia cdr cli crypt cups curl daap dba dbus divx4linux dts dvb dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode esd exif expat faad fam ffmpeg firefox flac foomaticdb fortran freetype gcj gd gdbm gif gimpprint glitz glut gmail gmailtimestamps gmp gnome gnutls gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal httpd icq id3 idn imagemagick imap imlib ipv6 java joystick jp2k jpeg jpeg2k junit kde kdeenablefinal kqemu lame lcms libcaca libg++ libwww lirc live lzw lzw-tiff mad matroska mhash mikmod mime mng mod motif mozdevelop mozilla mozsvg mozxmlterm mp3 mp4live mpeg mpeg2 mplayer msn musicbrainz nas ncurses net network nls no_wxgtk1 nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia odbc ogg oggvorbis openal opengl oscar pam pcre pdflib pear perl php player png postgres ppds python qt quicktime rar readline real rtc ruby samba sasl scanner screen sdl server shout skins speex spell sqlite ssl stream subtitles svg tcltk tcpd tetex theora threads tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb userlocales v4l v4l2 vcd vlm vorbis vorbisi wmf wxwindows xanim xine xinerama xml xml2 xmms xosd xpm xprint xv xvid xvmc yahoo zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS
Benson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for clearing things up - it is working on my machine now without problems. What a christmas gift* :wink:

Quote:
udev-079
hal-0.5.5.1-r1
dbus-0.50-r2
pmount-0.9.6

@PhanLord: I first had this problem too, but only because i forgot to add myself to the plugdev group (see step 5 of this guide).

cheers,
Benson
PhanLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in plugdev group :( and stil doesnt work i reverted back to udev -071 cause 79 doesnt seasm to recognize my devices correctly :(
however kde still doesn use pmount but trying to mount using fstab :(
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhanLord wrote:
im in plugdev group :( and stil doesnt work i reverted back to udev -071 cause 79 doesnt seasm to recognize my devices correctly :(
however kde still doesn use pmount but trying to mount using fstab :(

My guess is you have some links in /etc/hal/device.d/ that weren't deleted. You should be able to delete the inner most directory.
(Delete /etc/hal/device.d)
PhanLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope io dont have device.d :( i have deleted it 2-3 versions ago :(
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all I know is that I had the exact problem and it took the udev update to fix it... I'm kind of shooting in the dark at this point, but I assume that after you added your user to the plugdev group, you logged out and then back in at least once? Can you test it as root to see if the problem persists? At least that might help us narrow the focus.

Also please post the output of `emerge -pv udev dbus hal pmount`
PhanLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill test it as root tonight,

emerge -pv udev dbus hal pmount

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild U ] sys-fs/udev-079 [071] (-selinux) 0 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/dbus-0.50-r2 +X -debug -doc +gtk (-mono) +python +qt +xml2 1,572 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/hal-0.5.5.1-r1 +acpi -debug -doc -pam_console -pcmcia 1,482 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/pmount-0.9.6 +crypt 0 kB

i reverted back to 71 cause 79 doesnt even create device nodes, and devices dont even show up in a list
(for me)
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is some leftover files from when you did have fstab-sync.
Is there any output from
Code:
find / -iname fstab*
PhanLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=[root@amon]=->find / -iname fstab*
find: /proc/14694/task/14694/fd/5: No such file or directory
find: /proc/14694/fd/5: No such file or directory
/etc/fstab
/usr/include/fstab.h
/usr/include/gentoo-multilib/x86/fstab.h
/usr/include/gentoo-multilib/amd64/fstab.h
/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/x86_64-linux/fstab.ph
/usr/lib64/mupad/packages/scilab/linux/Scilab/macros/robust/fstabst.bin
/usr/lib64/mupad/packages/scilab/linux/Scilab/macros/robust/fstabst.sci
/usr/lib64/mupad/packages/scilab/linux/Scilab/man/robust/fstabst.cat
/usr/lib64/mupad/packages/scilab/linux/Scilab/man/robust/fstabst.man
/usr/lib64/transgaming_cedega/fstab.py
/usr/share/man/man5/fstab.5.gz
/usr/share/doc/busybox-1.01/bootfloppy/fstab.gz
/usr/share/doc/util-linux-2.12r-r2/examples/fstab.gz
/usr/share/vim/vim64/syntax/fstab.vim
/usr/share/xfce4/doc/C/images/fstab_popup_mount.png
/usr/share/xfce4/doc/C/images/fstab_popup_unmount.png
/usr/share/xfce4/doc/fr/images/fstab_popup_mount.png
/usr/share/xfce4/doc/he/images/fstab_popup_mount.png
/usr/share/baselayout/fstab
/usr/kde/3.5/share/apps/katepart/syntax/fstab.xml
/usr/mips-unknown-linux-gnu/include/fstab.h
/home/crossdev/mips/mips-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include/fstab.h

nothing that could cause this crap (IMHO)
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only other thing I can think of right now, is recompile kdebase-kioslaves making sure hal USE flag is set.
PhanLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

already recompiled kdebase and kdelibs just to be on a safe side :(
did not help
ill check in a few is i working under root
knizek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ivman Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
lovedaddy wrote:

I don't know, but there are several threads already about ivman. (Turning off storage media in kcontrol is probably a good start)

I would suggest avoiding talking about ivman in this thread since this is where users tend to end up with problems.
They start trying all the different automount methods (gvm, ivman, pmount), and then they start having problems.

Actually, you could use both ivman and kde automounting together. I had issues with kde automounting usb storage devices as /media/sda1, /media/sdb1, etc, which is really not what I expect from my desktop computer. Hence, I setup ivman to start (it uses pmount, too) when I login to kde.

Now, when I plug in a usb stick, ivman mounts it to /media/usbdisk or whatever userfriendly name (and always the same!) and kde pops up a window. After confirming kde pop-up window, kde does not try to mount the usb stick again and it works. Alternatively, I could switch off kde media notifier, however I like it asking me to open the file browser for the new device. I am also able to use kde's unmount option while right-clicking on the desktop icon of the device.
http://milan-knizek.net
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferred behavior (and as such, the preferred behavior of this guide) is that the device only be mounted if we choose to open it. But I did not know that Ivman uses pmount and can be so easily integrated with this setup, thanks for the info.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ivman Reply with quote

knizek wrote:
Actually, you could use both ivman and kde automounting together. I had issues with kde automounting usb storage devices as /media/sda1, /media/sdb1, etc, which is really not what I expect from my desktop computer. Hence, I setup ivman to start (it uses pmount, too) when I login to kde.

I realize that, but I was suggesting keeping it simple.
Let noobies get this working first, then they can move to ivamn if they need to.
These threads get so convoluted so fast, and I think gives the wrong suggestion that KDE requires ivman.

Maybe Raftysworld could add to the end of his tutorial that if you want to add ivman support..., and then give a link to a new thread that takes over explaining ivman support/features etc. This way we keep things separate. Ivman questions/responses will be in that thread and plain KDE automounting questions/responses will stay in this thread.
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ivman Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:

Maybe Raftysworld could add to the end of his tutorial that if you want to add ivman support..., and then give a link to a new thread that takes over explaining ivman support/features etc. This way we keep things separate. Ivman questions/responses will be in that thread and plain KDE automounting questions/responses will stay in this thread.

Sounds like a plan :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: