Gnome Meeting 1.0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddjobz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Gnome Meeting 1.0 Reply with quote

Hi, for anyone who's not seen it, Gnome meeting is akin to M$'s old "NetMeeting" program and it lets you share audio/video with a text chat, from a good old Linux box.

(With some nice options like Voice-over-IP, h323 addressing, ILS directories etc etc..)

Anyway, I have it working - and I want someone to test against.. any offers?
(I'm registed in the default ILS as "Gareth Bult")

If you want to get it running, grab copies of the source from www.gnomemeeting.org .. you'll need gnomemeeting, pwlib and openh323.

All should compile cleanly if you do;
export CFLAGS="-fPIC -O3 -pipe"
cd <dir>
./configure --prefix=/usr
make && make install

then;
/usr/bin/gnomemeeting

If you recompile the 2.6.3 kernel and enable the camera modules, this helps also .. I have a Logitec web cam that's showing up as a Pro 4000 under the Phillips pwc driver - but by default the Gentoo kernel has all the web cam modules turned off. (it in the kernel->drivers->usb bit)

With any luck there might be an ebuild shortly, there's an accepted request on Bugzilla ...

:)
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be too long before it's in portage. I have two USB webcams from old computers and neither works under linux, I might as well through them away or sell them on e-bay, I use Linux only.

My mom wants me to set it up on her computer to talk to her nephew. I have her using Lindows right now, not sure if Lindows supports it, haven't checked yet. If not I'll have to just put Gentoo on her system. I'll get her a normal webcam that works under linux, my sister has one(windows) and I want to get a camcorder anyway, so I'll figure out how to set up a firewire webcam.

Too bad that Gnomemeeting can't use a P2P network, even with a fast connection netmeeting on windows sucked.

Oh, I just noticed that you posted on AMD64. Maybe you should post on another area, I doubt too many AMD64 people have it, at least you'll increase your odds posting somewhere where a 32-bit person would see. I found this post by searching gnomemeeting, wanted to see if anyone was thinking about putting 1.0 in portage.
Thanx,
Stan
thumper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your on the subject, I have the Logitech Quickcam Express, if anyone needs drivers for them, they can be found here: http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/

While I have not built them yet on x86_64, they have worked well in the past on x86. I'll test them this weekend. :)

George
oddjobz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Mmm, just be aware... Reply with quote

A number of cam drivers now exist in the kernel...

(for example, many of the Logitec Quickcam Pro's)

So you don't need to go fiddling with drivers .. you just need to hassle the Gentoo kernel maintainer to include them in the defaut build ..

:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: