GeForce4 issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: GeForce4 issues Reply with quote

I upgraded from a Voodoo3 to a GeForce4 this weekend. Unfortunately, though, my system is basically unusable in a GUI environment as everytime I do change windows, pull up a menu, etc., my whole machine locks up for about 2-3 minutes, keyboard included. I can ssh into it during this time and I see that X is pegged aat about 99.6 CPU usage, and just stays there. I also notice that X is 268MB of memory, which seems quite excessive to me. Has anyone run into anything similar before? Any suggestions?

I installed the nvidia drivers using emerge (both kernel and glx), and everything seemed fine. I followed the directions in the README to reconfigure XF86Config, disabled everything I could think of relating to my Voodoo3, recompiled the kernel to remove all Voodoo3 support and get rid of AGPGART to allow the GeForce card to use it's on AGP driver, removed 3dfx and voodoo3 from my use flags, ran opengl-update nvidia, recompiled X and opengl, and it still does the exact same thing. I even got so deperate I did an 'emerge -e world'. It just finished and I'm still getting the same thing.

I'm pretty sure my X configuration is right as I have both monitors working using TwinView, but I'd be happy to post it if anyone thinks that might be the problem. Also, here's what I have in /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status:
Code:
Driver:          NVIDIA
AGP Rate:        2x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Disabled

I know I must be leaving out something simple, but I just can't figure it out for anything. Any ideas? Thanks.
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a gf4, and enabled agp support in the kernel, as well as the riva framebuffer module

is the NVdriver modules loaded on startup? (type lsmod to list the modules loaded)

in the bios, try enabling 4x agp and fast write to speed up agp bus speed

have you got the NVdriver module in XF86Config? is glx enabled?

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
amigadave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to reenable AGPGART in the kernel, as on some motherboards (most I think) the kernel AGPGART is more stable than the nVidia implementation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: