Quick Search: in
Environment
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Environment Reply with quote

Just installed Gentoo, looks good !

But when I start X my login environment gets lost .... No alias, no PS1

Any ideas ?

/Previous Mandrake user
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Environment Reply with quote

Anon wrote:
But when I start X my login environment gets lost .... No alias, no PS1

X isn't Bash. Thus, your bash profile settings don't carry over into X. You need to recreate the options you want in your .Xresources file. Check out 'man X' for more information. (There are numerous other ways to do this -- this is just one of them.)

--kurt
Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Environment Reply with quote

But I thought bash was supposed to source .bash_profile for _each_ login (even xterm) ... ?

Isn't .Xresources for , er, X resources (background color and so on) ?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Environment Reply with quote

Anon wrote:
But I thought bash was supposed to source .bash_profile for _each_ login (even xterm) ... ?

.bash_profile (or just .profile) gets called any time you execute a bash shell. If you don't execute a bash shell, your bash environment will not be duplicated.

I don't use xterm, so I can't offer any sort of troubleshooting advice. However you might try searching Google, as it generally is a great resource for figuring these types of issues out.

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got curious, so I did a little poking around and ran across this page which says:

Quote:
Under the X window system, if an xterm is started with the -la option, logon scripts will be run. If xterm is started with the +ls option, the sub-shell script (.bashrc) will be run.

Not sure if that helps or not. Also, this might be obvious, but make sure the user account that you're using in X has the proper shell set in /etc/passwd. Gentoo seems to do some strange things with that setting now and again.

--kurt
Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Environment Reply with quote

THANKS

It was the -ls option that did the trick (not +ls though .....)

It is probably compiled that way by default for all other distro's I've tried...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: