Question on partitioning 2 scsi drives on Sparc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Question on partitioning 2 scsi drives on Sparc Reply with quote

I'm starting my install. In the instructions..it says for sparc to do /dev/hda...with this being scsi..should I not use /dev/sda and sdb?

I've got 2 9G drives on this Ultra2. I'm mimicing the install on the first drive for
sda1 = /boot
sda2 = swap
sda3 = sun label
sda4 = /

On the 2nd drive..I'm wanting to put /var and /home
I'm guessing I have to put a sun label on this drive too...how would I arrange the partitions on this drive? where does the sun label have to go on this?

Thank you,

cayenne
phygradmarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm starting my install. In the instructions..it says for sparc to do /dev/hda...with this being scsi..should I not use /dev/sda and sdb?

That is correct...

Quote:

I've got 2 9G drives on this Ultra2. I'm mimicing the install on the first drive for
sda1 = /boot
sda2 = swap
sda3 = sun label
sda4 = /

The sun disk label != whole disk. Start fdisk:

Code:

fdisk /dev/sdb

then type s (starts the addition of the sun disk label). Fdisk probably doesn't know your drive layout so the autoconfig will fail. If you know the drives specs (heads, cylinders, sectors/track etc) you can enter them manually else try the defaults.

For compatibility reasons, sun disks typically use partition 3 as whole disk (type = 5). Beyond that, the rest is up to you. BTW, a sun disk label has 8 primary partitions available vs. the 4 for x86.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: