Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MG-Cloud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:

I'm running ~x86 and here X points to XFree86, so it could very well be that those instructions were tailored for the experimental branch of xfree. The only difference should be what X points to before you begin changing things though. The wrapper as it is written executes the actual binary (XFree86) - Xwrapper is likely just another wrapper. Dunno what it's doing though.

I'm also using ~x86 (world up to date as of this morning) and X points to Xwrapper here as well. Are you using the hard-masked version? I've been meaning to give that one a try.

I wonder if Xwrapper is really necessary, or if we can replace it with wrapper.c .....
mastergoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: whoa! Reply with quote

this is my first time to feel the love, and i must say, Holy Shit!

this is by far the fastest kernel I have ever used in my 5 years of nix

keep up the good work
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<sheepish>
Ok, with that simple a patch I should have been able to figure that out myself. :oops:
I was kind of upset though.
</sheepish>

For some reason the patch you quoted back didn't apply cleanly either, but I went in and hand-edited the source and I'm now re-compiling. After I get a chance to reboot I'll see if it's all happy again.

I still think that supermount is a bad idea though :P
ktech
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/3/8/11

Date Sun, 7 Mar 2004 22:32:21 -0800
From Andrew Morton <>
Subject 2.6.4-rc2-mm1

Added Jens's patch which teaches the kernel to use DMA when reading audio from IDE CDROM drives. These devices tend to be flakey, and we need lots of testing please.

- Re-added the device mapper update

- Brought back Ingo's patch which permits remap_file_pages() to set the memory access permissions on a per-page basis. This is mainly interesting for its very significant performance benefits to UML.
Breaks the build on most architectures. There are how-to-fix-it instructions in the changelog.

- A new version of the patch which permits ext3 quota updates to be fully journalled.
MG-Cloud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG-Cloud wrote:
bssteph wrote:

I'm running ~x86 and here X points to XFree86, so it could very well be that those instructions were tailored for the experimental branch of xfree. The only difference should be what X points to before you begin changing things though. The wrapper as it is written executes the actual binary (XFree86) - Xwrapper is likely just another wrapper. Dunno what it's doing though.

I'm also using ~x86 (world up to date as of this morning) and X points to Xwrapper here as well. Are you using the hard-masked version? I've been meaning to give that one a try.

I wonder if Xwrapper is really necessary, or if we can replace it with wrapper.c .....

To answer my own post -
I just installed this kernel (which ROCKS btw... the first love-soruces since 2.6.1-love5 that could handle my workload without my starcraft game lagging :D). I used the wrapper.c file, and redirected X to it. my wrapper.c executs XFree86, *not* Xwrapper. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with this, and so far everything works as expected.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktech wrote:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/3/8/11

Date Sun, 7 Mar 2004 22:32:21 -0800
From Andrew Morton <>
Subject 2.6.4-rc2-mm1

Added Jens's patch which teaches the kernel to use DMA when reading audio from IDE CDROM drives. These devices tend to be flakey, and we need lots of testing please.

- Re-added the device mapper update

- Brought back Ingo's patch which permits remap_file_pages() to set the memory access permissions on a per-page basis. This is mainly interesting for its very significant performance benefits to UML.
Breaks the build on most architectures. There are how-to-fix-it instructions in the changelog.

- A new version of the patch which permits ext3 quota updates to be fully journalled.

And the new love-sources is almost ready.
MG-Cloud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:

And the new love-sources is almost ready.

I love you man.
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*don't shoot me*
but what are these love sources and what makes them so differnt from the standered kernel?
ktech
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It adds lots of patches that are not in the standard kernel. But please, read the changelog in the first page.

If you have questions, please ask :wink:
rappayi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: love-sources doesn't love my hdd Reply with quote

hi
I have been trying to use love-sources but it always seems to stuck after detecting my hdd. The last lines I see is something that ends with lun0. I am using the same .config as that of gentoo-dev-sources(2.6).
which is here http://www.me.iitb.ac.in/~abeesh/.config.

Could some one point out what to do. Is udev necessary with love -sources.

thanks
abeesh
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: love-sources doesn't love my hdd Reply with quote

rappayi wrote:
hi
I have been trying to use love-sources but it always seems to stuck after detecting my hdd. The last lines I see is something that ends with lun0. I am using the same .config as that of gentoo-dev-sources(2.6).

thanks
abeesh

It's a bootsplash error. Try upgrading to the latest love-sources and the latest bootsplash. Remember to recreate the initrd before rebooting.
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided to try bootsplash at a friend, running a kernel, patched with the latest bootsplash, we had same problem there, so it might not be this release of love-sources fault :)
JeffBlair
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of getting the new bttv patch included? I have to use the 2.6.1 kernel. other wise it won't work.

http://bytesex.org/patches/2.6.3-1/

Thanks
rappayi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: love-sources doesn't love my hdd Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:
rappayi wrote:
hi

thanks
abeesh

It's a bootsplash error. Try upgrading to the latest love-sources and the latest bootsplash. Remember to recreate the initrd before rebooting.

thanks for the reply
The updated bootsplash also gives the same error. I also removed boot splash from the kernel and runlevel but still the kernel refuses to boot. I was using.
Quote:
2.6.4-rc2-love1 NAME=Spread 'Em

the error I am still getting is at
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0. The system hangs here :(

--abeesh
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the first time I'm using the love sources and Im impressed, nearly everything is working :D

I read that you can change the refresh rate with the vesa driver? how can I manage that? which boot option shall I add? Or shall I use the rivafb driver?

thx
rappayi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston. wrote:

I read that you can change the refresh rate with the vesa driver? how can I manage that? which boot option shall I add? Or shall I use the rivafb driver?

thx

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=71570&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=vesa+refresh+rate

may be this helps

EDIT: Forgot to add that the patchset already patches the kernel
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffBlair wrote:
Any chance of getting the new bttv patch included? I have to use the 2.6.1 kernel. other wise it won't work.

http://bytesex.org/patches/2.6.3-1/

Thanks

im applying those patches, and as far as i remember, there are no changes in that exact driver, its all included in vanilla
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikrosh wrote:
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

A pure necromancy :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: