View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6.4_rc1-love3 aka "Let's Kill All Of The Stupid P Reply with quote

dub.wav wrote:
steel300 wrote:

Quote:

+Nick Piggin's Scheduler Work

Nick has released a new scheduler, which is included. It is recommended that you renice X to -10 or -15.
Any chance you could provide split out patches for Nicks scheduler? I prefer not having to renice X.

i dont renice X, and i still LOOVVEEE nicks scheduling policies!

but why not just renice X and get the GOOODD stuff!
pestilence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or is bootsplash missing? i tryed selecting but it does nothing plus the bootsplash.h is missing under include/config/ directory.
Oh well..i tryed it without bootsplash on my desktop system and they rock...love to you steel once again :)
Boohbah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling the LOVE. This is the first time i've used love-sources, and I must say, I'm impressed. I wanted mm-sources for the udev framebuffer patches and I also wanted bootsplash, and it's all right here. Thanks lovechild and steel300, my kernel now ROCK LIKE NINJA. :lol:

(Note, however, that virgins tend to know a lot about computers.)
soaringcondor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful - I've played around with it before but never got it to work quiet right. My system booted in about 2/3's of the normal time and is much, much snappier.
pestilence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok bootsplash problem has been resolved it was a fresh system install and i forgot to update to the latest bootsplash :oops:
System runs like a charm :)
soaringcondor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically just used my old Kernel configuration (had to change a couple of things for unrelated problems.) Are there any options that, if enabled, will make it rock like a super ninja?
Dalius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys...a few questions.

a) I remember seeing a HowTo Install an Ebuild of Love Sources. Anyone have the link to it? I searched for it but I found nothing.

b) I've never installed more that one kernel before. Do I just copy the kernel/system.map/config as 2.6.4-love-sources etc etc and make an entry in grub.conf? Last time I did that, I got an error on loading the kernel saying "Cannot read numbers"

Thanks in Advanced!
tdb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A. (what's left of it anyway...)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel,

Is there a way to pull the network-related patches from the GRSecurity patchset and add them in? I like a lot of the features, like fooling os detection. But I know adding the entire grsecirty patch is going to wreak havoc. Or what else would be good would be the old ip personality kernel patch. Problem is that it hasn't been maintained in almost two years. Any ideas?
jeffrice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalius wrote:
Hey guys...a few questions.

a) I remember seeing a HowTo Install an Ebuild of Love Sources. Anyone have the link to it? I searched for it but I found nothing.

How to use the Love ebuilds

Dalius wrote:

b) I've never installed more that one kernel before. Do I just copy the kernel/system.map/config as 2.6.4-love-sources etc etc and make an entry in grub.conf? Last time I did that, I got an error on loading the kernel saying "Cannot read numbers"

You don't need to mess with the system.map. Compile your kernel and give it a unique name, then make a new section in your grub.conf to boot using that kernel image. It's a good idea to do thio routinely anyway, so that if you compile an unbootable kernel, you have a fallback to use while you fix things.
Dalius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks man :)
bold
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ls -al /usr/X11R6/bin | grep X
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Feb 15 16:08 X -> Xwrapper

so, what do i have to do to use the wrapper.c ?
MG-Cloud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:

Unfortunately it looks like Nick's scheduler is no match for the bloat that is GNOME/metacity. :P Even moving the mouse to change focus to a different makes the video skip. Everything else seems to be noticebly more responsive, though.. although that might have a lot to do with the fact X is running at -15, rather than it necessarily being the scheduler.

Did the same thing happen prior to this new scheduler, or is it specific to this new one? I ask because I like to switch out of movies at boring parts and check my email and stuff, and I really don't like skipping ;)

steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdb wrote:
Steel,

Is there a way to pull the network-related patches from the GRSecurity patchset and add them in? I like a lot of the features, like fooling os detection. But I know adding the entire grsecirty patch is going to wreak havoc. Or what else would be good would be the old ip personality kernel patch. Problem is that it hasn't been maintained in almost two years. Any ideas?

I want to put as many of the grsecurity patches in as possible, but they are a pain to patch. I keep looking at the beauty that is GrSec and wishing that it wasn't so impossible to fit in on an rc kernel. Hopefully, when it has matured a bit more, they'll be able to play nice with mm.
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG-Cloud wrote:
Did the same thing happen prior to this new scheduler, or is it specific to this new one? I ask because I like to switch out of movies at boring parts and check my email and stuff, and I really don't like skipping ;)

Nah; this is easily the best scheduler I've seen so far. I've had the same regressions under the other versions of Nick's scheduler. Of course, I haven't used anything but love-sources for quite a while, so I can't really compare them with other schedulers.

As I said, under more light weight WMs, there's not a hiccup no matter what I do it.

I'm probably running a below-average system compared to most modern gentoo desktop (Duron 900mhz) users, so if you have more processing power to play with, GNOME/metacity will probalby not have any problems. Definitely won't have any problems if you haven't had too many problems with it before.

bssteph: I'm using the latest stable version as of my last resync -- xfree-4.3.0-r5. X has been a symlink to 'Xwrapper' as long as I can remember, however.

I may try making the renicing script call XFree86 directly next time, but no big deal, it's easy enough to renice it manually.
tdb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:

I want to put as many of the grsecurity patches in as possible, but they are a pain to patch. I keep looking at the beauty that is GrSec and wishing that it wasn't so impossible to fit in on an rc kernel. Hopefully, when it has matured a bit more, they'll be able to play nice with mm.

Yeah, I used the network features back when I had the gentoo sources 2.4.20 kernel on my server. I never got around to fully crafting ACLs for it, though. I like the idea of autolearning to build them out more. BTW, what is your opinion on GRSec vs. SELinux vs. RSBAC? I guess I'm inclined to take SELinux since the NSA is behind it and 1. they know security, and 2. my taxes already paid for it. One last question to bog you down... Is there a functional difference between ACLs and Systrace? (or whatever that kernel feature was that would force you to approve program's actions.) Thanks for your time, Steel.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdb wrote:
steel300 wrote:

Yeah, I used the network features back when I had the gentoo sources 2.4.20 kernel on my server. I never got around to fully crafting ACLs for it, though. I like the idea of autolearning to build them out more. BTW, what is your opinion on GRSec vs. SELinux vs. RSBAC? I guess I'm inclined to take SELinux since the NSA is behind it and 1. they know security, and 2. my taxes already paid for it. One last question to bog you down... Is there a functional difference between ACLs and Systrace? (or whatever that kernel feature was that would force you to approve program's actions.) Thanks for your time, Steel.

GRSec vs. SELinux vs. RSBAC:
SELinux is miles ahead of anything else out there. It's a kernel that forces security upon everything. Have you ever read the rainbow books? The SELinux kernel is the epitomy (sp?) of the rainbow books. Security at every level for every application. GRsec is better than RSBAC, IMHO. RSBAC seems to have chosen functionality over security in some places. GRSec is the more correct route, but RSBAC is more dynamic and easier to set up.

ACLs vs. Systrace:
There really is no functional difference between the two. Again, Systrace is more dynamic and might no always choose the proper action. It's better to error on the side of security.
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brothers and Sisters! I am here to call upon y'all to rebuke the Evil! Drive out the Supermount patch and let it wither in the darkness whence it came!

Adding supermount breaks another patch I add by hand that I need to mount my camera. :cry:

Can't we just say no to this darn thing? If you want supermount use the Evil sources, that's why they're there.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regor wrote:
Brothers and Sisters! I am here to call upon y'all to rebuke the Evil! Drive out the Supermount patch and let it wither in the darkness whence it came!

Adding supermount breaks another patch I add by hand that I need to mount my camera. :cry:

Can't we just say no to this darn thing? If you want supermount use the Evil sources, that's why they're there.

What's the patch and where does it break? Does it just patch with failed hunks? Or does it make the whole other patch useless?
tdb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, rainbow books, damn that's a lot of regulations.

Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/library/rainbow/

Thanks again Steel.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdb wrote:
Wow, rainbow books, damn that's a lot of regulations.

Thanks again Steel.

We have to know the rainbow books inside and out at work. The one that they put the most emphasis on is the one regarding passwords (Green Book).
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:
MG-Cloud wrote:

Nah; this is easily the best scheduler I've seen so far. I've had the same regressions under the other versions of Nick's scheduler. Of course, I haven't used anything but love-sources for quite a while, so I can't really compare them with other schedulers.

As I said, under more light weight WMs, there's not a hiccup no matter what I do it.

I'm probably running a below-average system compared to most modern gentoo desktop (Duron 900mhz) users, so if you have more processing power to play with, GNOME/metacity will probalby not have any problems. Definitely won't have any problems if you haven't had too many problems with it before.

bssteph: I'm using the latest stable version as of my last resync -- xfree-4.3.0-r5. X has been a symlink to 'Xwrapper' as long as I can remember, however.

I may try making the renicing script call XFree86 directly next time, but no big deal, it's easy enough to renice it manually.

I'm running ~x86 and here X points to XFree86, so it could very well be that those instructions were tailored for the experimental branch of xfree. The only difference should be what X points to before you begin changing things though. The wrapper as it is written executes the actual binary (XFree86) - Xwrapper is likely just another wrapper. Dunno what it's doing though.
phlashback
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I love the reponsivness of X

Thans agin steel for all your hard work
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:

What's the patch and where does it break? Does it just patch with failed hunks? Or does it make the whole other patch useless?

Here's the patch, both hunks fail to apply. It's always applied without problems before now. I looked at that piece of the sd.c code and it now references supermount so I figure it must be the culprit.

Code:

--- 1.59/drivers/scsi/sd.c      Fri Oct 24 14:53:37 2003
+++ edited/drivers/scsi/sd.c    Tue Jan  6 11:16:41 2004
@@ -431,8 +431,10 @@
                goto error_out;

if (!sdkp->openers++ && sdev->removable) {
+#if 0
                if (scsi_block_when_processing_errors(sdev))
                        scsi_set_medium_removal(sdev, SCSI_REMOVAL_PREVENT);
+#endif
        }

return 0;
@@ -462,8 +464,10 @@
        SCSI_LOG_HLQUEUE(3, printk("sd_release: disk=%s\n", disk->disk_name));

if (!--sdkp->openers && sdev->removable) {
+#if 0
                        scsi_set_medium_removal(sdev, SCSI_REMOVAL_ALLOW);
+#endif
        }

/*

steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regor wrote:
steel300 wrote:

Here's the patch, both hunks fail to apply. It's always applied without problems before now. I looked at that piece of the sd.c code and it now references supermount so I figure it must be the culprit.

Code:

--- 1.59/drivers/scsi/sd.c      Fri Oct 24 14:53:37 2003
+++ edited/drivers/scsi/sd.c    Tue Jan  6 11:16:41 2004
@@ -431,8 +431,10 @@
                goto error_out;

if (!sdkp->openers++ && sdev->removable) {
+#if 0
+#endif
        }

return 0;
@@ -462,8 +464,10 @@

if (!--sdkp->openers && sdev->removable) {
+#if 0
+#endif
        }

/*

I thought you had a hard one for me. Maybe try and break things a little more next time. Try this patch:

Code:

--- linux-2.6.3/drivers/scsi/sd.c   2004-03-07 18:51:46.147438428 -0600
+++ linux-2.6.4_rc2-love1/drivers/scsi/sd.c   2004-03-07 18:51:00.998551358 -0600
@@ -437,8 +437,10 @@
       goto error_out;

if (supermount_usage_count(inode->i_bdev, sdkp->openers++) == 0 && sdev->removable) {
+#if 0
+#endif
    }

return 0;
@@ -468,8 +470,10 @@

if (supermount_usage_count(inode->i_bdev, --sdkp->openers) == 0 && sdev->removable) {
+#if 0
+#endif
    }

/*

nepenthe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone here successfuly get a D-Link DWL-650+ to work? It's the acx100 chip... =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: