APCI and APIC working even after acpi=off and apic=off
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vesentac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: APCI and APIC working even after acpi=off and apic=off Reply with quote

Using the emachine genkernel, everything seems to work fine. However my ethernet does not work because of APCI and APIC. This has been already documented that you need to pass into the kernerl params to disable them. However, what can you do when the parameters are no disabling acpi and apic? I've tried both pci=noacpi / noapic and acpi=off / apic = off.

I can see see the acpi/apic debug info when I look at dmesg. The ethernet card grabs the wrong irq due to the bad mapping so I know if I can disable these it will work. But again, passing into the kernel parameters the correct flags dont see to work.

Any ideas?
Thanks
blueworm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to disable APIC and ACPI in the BIOS.
You can also disable ACPI in the kernel by not compilling it.
Vesentac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

Ahh, forgot to mention this was from the Live2004 CDs, the 2.6.3-r2. distro.

I guess I'll copy the emach config under genkernel and then edit out the ACPI support. If this doesnt fly, I guess I'll have to use an older distro with 2.4 ouch.
thither
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: APCI and APIC working even after acpi=off and apic=off Reply with quote

Vesentac wrote:
I've tried both pci=noacpi / noapic and acpi=off / apic = off.

It looks like you already tried this (it was a little unclear above), but what works for me is the literal string "noapic pci=noacpi".

I also see ACPI debug info in my dmesg (actually, it bugs the heck out of me) but my ethernet driver works fine with that boot string. This is using gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.3-r2 on an eMachines m6805. I can post my whole .config if you'd like. I haven't actually tried to boot off of the new livecd yet.
Vesentac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Well this is interesting,

I was on the irc channel knocking heads for help. SecondShadow recommend I try outputing the current proc into a config file and then compile. This kernel image turns out to work. I was able to cap an ip address and establish a connection.

However this brings up the question of the original kernel I used genkernel to compile. I guess there is some flaw there or maybe I should compile it manually. I'll have to test it out when I have more time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: