View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[UK]Superdude
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: The old virtual desktops in XF86Config question Reply with quote

Hi all, my question relates to the virtual setting (or lack of) in XF86Config. As I found out there are a lot of posts from people who have a scrolling desktop caused by this setting in X's config files. I found out this can be fixed by making sure that the resolutions go from highest (ie "1024x768") to lowest ("640x480" or whatever) and removing the line starting with virtual.
Anyway, my desktop looks fine in the normal res (1280x1024) but what Im wondering is can I disable virtual desktops completely so when I switch or an an application switches to a lower resolution there is none of that nasty scrolling? Ive read that X cant do this, is this true? is there a third part application that will allow switches of resolution? (I know about crtl-+)
Ive googled to no avail, and noone seems to have solved it on these forums yet.
Has anyone out there found a solution?
aleph-3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any solutions?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't going to be very helpful, but I think you're confusing virtual desktops, which are a window manager thing to pretend that you have several screens' worth of space, with virtual resolution, which is something the X server does to compensate for the fact that the display device may not be capable of displaying the resolution the screen has been set for.

AFAIK, there is no way to stop virtual resolution from kicking in when you change from a higher to lower resolution. The only thing I can suggest is to swap XF86Config files, and have one with only the lower resolution specified. The only way I know to stop virtual resolution is to make the resolution the maximum allowed by XF86Config.

As is often the case, I would be happy to be proven wrong.
[UK]Superdude
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
This isn't going to be very helpful, but I think you're confusing virtual desktops, which are a window manager thing to pretend that you have several screens' worth of space, with virtual resolution, which is something the X server does to compensate for the fact that the display device may not be capable of displaying the resolution the screen has been set for.

I know what u mean with desktops/resolutions. Resolutions would perhaps have been a better word for it I guess - you'd be surprised the amount of things it was called when I was googling for an answer. :)
Im kinda resigning myself to a multiple configuration type thing as you suggested, Im kinda amazed that X cant do this but I guess I'll live.
Perhaps I'll just have to start playing games in a higher res, pity I have to discount the ones that can't handle it

ahh well
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: