Gigabyte GA-K8NPRO Athlon 64bit Motherboard
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenzeo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Gigabyte GA-K8NPRO Athlon 64bit Motherboard Reply with quote

Hey all...

I'm thinking of bying this board for my workstation, but i have a question?

What use will i have for the onboard RAID, i don't intent have more then one disk on the desktop computer anyway.. so would it not be overkill?

Is there any other boards i could use beside the Asus VT8T800, i'v pretty much left that out couse of the pervius post's in this forum...

-Xenzeo
agcm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I too bought the same board and had some trouble initially with the onboard ethernet(gigabit) and the SATA controller (Silicon image). But after 2004.0 came out it both have worked effortlessly from LiveCD, I have yet to start compiling though.

I do not think that getting it with the software RAID controller will make that much more expensive.
Xealous
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this motherboard as well. I successfully installed Gentoo 2004.0 from Stage1, however, after I installed and rebooted, the ethernet device would die after a few minutes of use. When I rmmod'ed the device, I got a kernel panic. Not really sure what it going on...the LiveCD doesn't have this problem and I am using the exact same kernel and driver as the livecd. The driver being used is the r8169 under gigabit ethernet devices.
brad_mssw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must use gentoo-dev-sources to get the fixed ethernet driver,
otherwise you won't have luck ...
I have that mobo, and do not ever mess with the RAID features of
any mobo in linux, read the amd64.gentoo.org for any further questions
related to that.
Gav`
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, any way of getting the onboard PATA RAID controller working? I'm running 2 hard drives from that (one on each channel) although they're not RAID'ed, I'm just using it as an extra IDE controller...
cricalix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gav` wrote:
Brad, any way of getting the onboard PATA RAID controller working? I'm running 2 hard drives from that (one on each channel) although they're not RAID'ed, I'm just using it as an extra IDE controller...

There is a driver available from the GigaRaid folks (Integrated Technology Express?) - but I can't remember if it was 64bit compatible. I do know they offer binaries for RH 9 and source for 2.4.20 under Gentoo though. LinuxSrc_it8212_092005-05.zip is the file I have.
molander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Onboard Sound? Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack, but did anyone get the sound working? The card is detected and generates sound but it is scrambled....
cricalix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Onboard Sound? Reply with quote

molander wrote:
Sorry to hijack, but did anyone get the sound working? The card is detected and generates sound but it is scrambled....

Make sure that Alsa is loading the intel_8x0 driver. Disable OSS, as it's a resource hog - native alsa is much better. Using ogg123 works fine for me direct to the alsa driver, and I have working system sounds in KDE. I don't have working sound in juk, which is really weird.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: