Installing on Alpha with no CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXTad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Installing on Alpha with no CD Reply with quote

Howdy!

I have an Alpha 200 that I'm trying to install Gentoo on. I've been running this machine successfully for some time wth Red Hat 7.2. This machine does not have a CDR that it can boot from, though once the OS is booted, it seems to read from the CD just fine. I thought I could boot with my Red Hat floppies and then install from there, and this seemed to be working until I started getting shared library errors while emerging. A further complication is that the Red Hat mount (at least as I boot from floppies into rescue mode) doesn't have the ability to bind mount.

Is there any way that I can make a Gentoo boot floppy, or does anyone have any other ideas as to how I could bootstrap this machine?

Thanks,
Tad
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be interesting for me too. I have an Alpha Station with a defective cdrom. I have been looking for gentoo boot disks for a while now; without success. Thus I have Debian intalled :-(.
riposte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Im not sure if this thread is still current enough for you to be interested but anyway...

I have just completed an install on an Alpha 200 4/166.
I too had trouble with the old scsi cdrom that came with it. I decided to temporarily install another hard-drive with redhat 7.2 on it and to boot from that but then I discovered that the cdrom could handle the current 'release' live cd (rather than the experimental one) provided it was burnt at the slowest speed (4x in my case). Dont ask me why this might be the case but i hope it helps.
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Installing on Alpha with no CD Reply with quote

TXTad wrote:
Howdy!

I have an Alpha 200 that I'm trying to install Gentoo on. I've been running this machine successfully for some time wth Red Hat 7.2. This machine does not have a CDR that it can boot from, though once the OS is booted, it seems to read from the CD just fine. I thought I could boot with my Red Hat floppies and then install from there, and this seemed to be working until I started getting shared library errors while emerging. A further complication is that the Red Hat mount (at least as I boot from floppies into rescue mode) doesn't have the ability to bind mount.

Is there any way that I can make a Gentoo boot floppy, or does anyone have any other ideas as to how I could bootstrap this machine?

Thanks,
Tad

Have you tried the alternative installation methods howto? (from an existing Linux installation). I had quite good results installing Gentoo from slackware boot floppies on an old 486, and from Debian boot floppies on PPC. I'm not sure how easy it is to find boot floppies for other distros on alpha, but maybe that will help.

I'm not sure why the bind mount would make that much difference, but I've been wrong before. I've done it both ways with several different architectures and never seen a difference at all :roll: System always boots up just fine. Make the /dev/shm directory and everything should work just fine.

Hmm. I just looked at the date... you've probably solved this already...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: