Copying a kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cto2mac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Copying a kernel Reply with quote

I already have SuSE and would like to see if you can copy the gentoo kernel use it, would that change my install to Gentoo?? I know its a dumb question but I couldn't get Gentoo to let me get to a window manager.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is a kernel problem?
I mean, not often does a kernel problem stop you from using a window manager... X maybe, but not a window manager.

But, on to the question.. you can use whatever kernel you want on Gentoo, if that was your question. You kind of lost me on the first sentence.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get a window manager with gentoo, you should look at the /etc/rc.conf file and make sure that you have the DISPLAYMANAGER and XSESSION variables set correctly for your system. Are you using a login manager like gdm or kdm? What WM are you trying to load?
cto2mac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Maybe a bad wording Reply with quote

I have tried all of those things (do a search with my screen name as author) I couldn't get Gentoo to let me into KDE I could start the X server but not kde, so I went and got SuSE and it allows me to go to my window managers and such. I am only asking if I can kindof jump-start gentoo by inserting its kernel in and letting it pick up the ball from where SuSE will be left off. WIndowmanagers in tact.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Gentoo, software is compiled from source using Portage. A SuSE system with a Gentoo kernel would not be a Gentoo system - it would be a SuSE system with a Gentoo kernel. The Gentoo kernel is a very minor part of a Gentoo system, and it is not even a necessary one, as many Gentoo users do not use Gentoo kernels at all.
wilbertnl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Under Gentoo, software is compiled from source using Portage. A SuSE system with a Gentoo kernel would not be a Gentoo system - it would be a SuSE system with a Gentoo kernel. The Gentoo kernel is a very minor part of a Gentoo system, and it is not even a necessary one, as many Gentoo users do not use Gentoo kernels at all.

The question is: is it possible?
And I think it is, you also need to copy the modules directory. I'm not sure if the compiler version matters, maybe not. Just give it a try!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilbertnl wrote:
The question is: is it possible?

I believe that sometimes it can be more helpful to try to answer the question that the person would ask if they understood the situation more clearly. If my intuition here is wrong and I am being unhelpful, I certainly apologize for that.

I thought that the original poster was in one of two states:
  1. having heard that Gentoo runs faster on the same hardware than SuSE, and believing that the kernel is a significant factor in that
  2. wanting to try to replace SuSE with Gentoo while a window manager was running
If #1, I think the poster will be disappointed with the results. If #2, I think there are better ways to do this, such as following the alternate installation guide for how to install from within an existing Linux distribution. I felt that simply answering the exact question posed in strict fashion would not serve the poster's interests in the long run.
wilbertnl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: I appreciate your effort, rac Reply with quote

rac wrote:
I believe that sometimes it can be more helpful to try to answer the question that the person would ask if they understood the situation more clearly. If my intuition here is wrong and I am being unhelpful, I certainly apologize for that.

I do appreciate your effort to reach beyond the question and to provide information at a deeper level. But when I look at the question, then I find myself only making assumptions.
I would give a clear answer to this question and start asking to get a better understanding of his needs.
Questions like:
  • What are you trying to gain with the copy of a 'Gentoo-kernel?'
  • Tell us more about your problems with that window manager?

Assumption is the pitfall of support, and when a question is unclear to me, how would I be able to provide quality support? I see it as my responsibility to make sure that I have the right understanding. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: