PBG4 Titanium 800 General Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: PBG4 Titanium 800 General Questions Reply with quote

Well, after a year away from the linuxppc scene, I'm returning to it with a PBG4/800. I must say, since using gentoo on intel since 1.0, I'm so pleased that I can run it on the pbg4.

Anyways, I've read the forums, and linuxppc-lists, but I can't especially find anything information as to what features are known to work on the PBG4. In particular, do these things work:

1) sleep
I've trying many suggestions, but I can't seem to get sleep working. Are any current modules I may be using on this laptop known to be poison? I've checked the /etc/power/powerctl file, and nothing seems to be a miss. Using pmud. I'm running the benh-2.4.20-pre5 sources. When I close the lid, or attempt to sleep it manually, it goes into some mode, but the "breathing" light does not come on, and I must hard-reset it to reboot.

2) radeon frame buffer "console-level" acceleration?
Okay, sometimes crazy horizontal lines, although text is still mostly readable when this problem happens. I saw people talking about it on some lists, but, is this fixed? Is there a magic "video=" option?

3) Correct X configuration
Again, X has crazy scrolling horizontral lines too, but just when I use the "radeon" driver. I take it that I shouldn't be using the radeon driver? ;-) penguinppc.org's X section states that 3d acceleration is even coming from this card. Any more news on that?

Does anyone have an ideal setup for this particular laptop? I wish I could get it as pleasantly running as a pbg4 I once setup. Thanks for any respones.
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleep is a known problem with the current kernel (-r6) and the Radeon M6/M7. The latest benh kernel does have the proper code for sleep, but we havent' found an all around stable version to put into portage yet...

for radeon stuff, I suggest emerging latest xeasyconf (I just released 0.1.4 into portage a few minutes ago). I suggest highly to use the open firmware frambuffer for console and do 'auto' with xeasyconf

good luck :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: