Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

Woow,

It just took 75 posts to become Tux's litlle helper :)

Lol.

I'm celebrating with a Diet-Coke!

Erik
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy while it lasts - you'll be apprentice before you know it, which to me is a much less dignified title.
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Woow,

It just took 75 posts to become Tux's litlle helper :)

Doh it took 77 posts for me to become one :?

Btw, shouldn't there read Tux' lil' helper and not Tux's. This spelling thing is conflicting a bit with what I learned on my English classes :D
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

kirill wrote:
Doh it took 77 posts for me to become one :?

No, it took you 75 posts -- it just took you an extra 2 posts to notice it. :)

kirill wrote:
Btw, shouldn't there read Tux' lil' helper and not Tux's. This spelling thing is conflicting a bit with what I learned on my English classes :D

Well, if you want to get pedantic, it's not a spelling error, it's a grammatical one. :P Tux' may be correct, but Tux's looks better. And until everyone starts using 'data' and 'datum' correctly, I'm not going to worry about fixing it. :)

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
And until everyone starts using 'data' and 'datum' correctly, I'm not going to worry about fixing it. :)
:lol:

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Tuxisuau
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One post more! One day i'll be 31337 or something!
echeslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

kirill wrote:

Well, if you want to get pedantic, it's not a spelling error, it's a grammatical one. :P Tux' may be correct, but Tux's looks better. And until everyone starts using 'data' and 'datum' correctly, I'm not going to worry about fixing it. :)

Actually, I think it's correct the way it is. Tux is a singular proper noun and does not end in "s", so there should always be "'s" for the possessive. Even if the person's name is David Jones, it is still correct to say David Jones's ___, but it is also accepted to say David Jones' ____.

-ewen
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

echeslack wrote:
klieber wrote:

kirill wrote:

Actually, I think it's correct the way it is. Tux is a singular proper noun and does not end in "s", so there should always be "'s" for the possessive...

They just taught us in school that one should write Max', not Max's. I thought there is some connection between Tux and Max :D
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

kirill wrote:
echeslack wrote:
klieber wrote:

kirill wrote:

Actually, I think it's correct the way it is. Tux is a singular proper noun and does not end in "s", so there should always be "'s" for the possessive...

They just taught us in school that one should write Max', not Max's. I thought there is some connection between Tux and Max :D

The way things are spelled, really depends on when and where you went to school :-)

And btw, this quoting looks cool :lol:
Oh well, not much Gentoo today, NFL opening SUnday and I'm watching NFL Countdown on ESPN :)

Erik
echeslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

kirill wrote:
echeslack wrote:
klieber wrote:

kirill wrote:

Interesting, maybe that rule stems from the fact that "x" is like "cs." Oh well, not like its really important :). And ebrostig, that is probably very true, but unfortunately doesn't make things very easy.

-ewen
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

echeslack wrote:
kirill wrote:
echeslack wrote:
klieber wrote:

kirill wrote:

Interesting, maybe that rule stems from the fact that "x" is like "cs." Oh well, not like its really important :). And ebrostig, that is probably very true, but unfortunately doesn't make things very easy.

x is like s. Linux', Windows', X-box', books', the Williams' and s's doesn't look good, or isn't supposed to be right, whatever. But yeah it's not important anymore because I recently became an Apprentice :P
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

kirill wrote:
echeslack wrote:
kirill wrote:
echeslack wrote:
klieber wrote:

kirill wrote:

x is like s. Linux', Windows', X-box', books', the Williams' and s's doesn't look good, or isn't supposed to be right, whatever. But yeah it's not important anymore because I recently became an Apprentice :P

lol
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you all have some fascination with watching phpBB's ability to nest quotes, then take a look at this thread and have a blast.

Maybe we can avoid duplicating that nonsense in this thread? Please? :)

--kurt
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
If you all have some fascination with watching phpBB's ability to nest quotes, then take a look at this thread and have a blast.

--kurt

Ok, boss!

I will not quote anymore (!)
Not at least after this post....

I just created this thread because my status changed not to start some of the longest running threads or the one with most indented quotes or whatever.

Lol, lets close this thread :)

Erik
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody planning to check out the link klieber referred to in here, please make sure to save any unsaved documents. Somebody managed to torpedo an entire windowing system by simply attempting to view that thread:

klieber wrote:

ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Anybody planning to check out the link klieber referred to in here, please make sure to save any unsaved documents. Somebody managed to torpedo an entire windowing system by simply attempting to view that thread:

klieber wrote:

I looked at the thread, really nice ;-)
I didn't try to count the indentation level, but it was amazing.
No crashes though, running Opera 6.03 :-)

Erik
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
No crashes though, running Opera 6.03 :-)

I believe the crash report I read involved somebody running mswm :wink:.
Tuxisuau
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Whooa! I'm Tux's little helper! Reply with quote

JefP@@ wrote:
kirill wrote:
echeslack wrote:
kirill wrote:
echeslack wrote:
klieber wrote:

kirill wrote:

lol

Slashdot english rocks (i've learned my poor english there)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

...in a HAL-esque voice:
Quote:
I'm sorry, kurt, but we can't do that.

...and out go the lights.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: