a suggestion for a new forum...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: a suggestion for a new forum... Reply with quote

:)

now i'm not sure how you guys feel about adding another forum in the already large index page, but here's my suggestion:

I feel we should have a "killer app" forum, of course if i had any sort of imagination, i would've come up with a more clever name... but that name will suffice for this post :)

Now i've used freebsd and linux for a while... but it's always been as a local server or a shell account, not once have i installed X until now.... I mean i could put together a software package for most any server that would best fit it's requirements... but once you throw x on the box, i have no clue...

I just recently formatted my windows xp box and installed gentoo as my main desktop box. I've been searching these forums with queries such as "irc clients" to find an irc client... i would then find the names of apps, check their web site and if i liked one, emerge it ( which btw is much nicer and easier than pkg_add ;) ). I ended up with kvirc. Right now i've been searching for "email clients" and list of gui apps consists of evolution and k-mail. Neither of them i like :)

Now i know i could browse /usr/portage for apps, but damned if i know which one is better for me.... besides, you can read about an app on the website all you want, but a simple recomendation from someone will always carry more weight (imho).

I think a killer app forum would benefit both the new users as well as the older users... hehe just yesterday i learned of this app called gkrellm2 ;) ....as you can see, i know nothing when it comes to desktop apps... :)

what do you guys think?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: a suggestion for a new forum... Reply with quote

fuji wrote:
now i'm not sure how you guys feel about adding another forum in the already large index page
With a good enough argument, it could happen. Most often, suggestions for new forums overlap too much with existing ones. Unfortunately, I think this one overlaps too much with Desktop Environments.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: