glibc disaster
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sancho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: glibc disaster Reply with quote

i want to run crossover office on my amd64/gentoo system. when i run the crossover install script (from codeweavers), i get an error:
Code:
$ sh install-crossover-office-2.1.0.sh
Verifying archive integrity...OK
Uncompressing CrossOver Office....................................................................................................
............................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................

This installation doesn't support glibc-2.0 on Linux / x86

so i went to read support forums at codeweavers web site. i learned that there are some issues with wine and glibc 2.3.2. so i decided (BIG MISTAKE) to downgrade my glibc. i have an ebuild for glibc 2.3.1, so i build it.

this broke emerge and god knows what else
Code:
$emerge -s anypackage
/usr/bin/python: /lib64/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by /usr/bin/python)

is there somebody out there who would consider taring up the files i need for glibc-2.3.2? i would be very grateful.

any other suggestions?
sancho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am realizing now that this problem is drastic. i can't do any work on my pc--everything depends on glibc. i can't even read man pages.

i am afraid to close my web browser, for fear that i won't be able to restart it.

Possible Solution:
so i am wondering if i should boot of of the livecd, mount my gentoo partition, and run boostrap.sh.
would this fix my glibc? would there be other side effects?

help. i think i'm drowning here...
-sancho
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the livecds that have the compiled binaries, then just yank glibc from there and extract it
sancho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks angrybob,

But I'm not sure how to do that. How do I figure out exactly which files to "yank". I suppose that glibc is a long list of /lib and /usr/lib files.

'emerge' is broken, but 'tar' and 'gzip' still work. So if I had a gzip file that actually extracted the glibc to the right place in the file system, that would probably get me back in place. But I don't know where I can find a glibc binary package.
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there should be something like "glibc-someversion.tbz2" try extracting it to /tmp. I think you can then just copy all the libs into /usr/lib or wherever they go and it should work

if it doesnt work then I can zip up my version of glibc (2.3.2-r9) and give it to you, I compiled it with "-march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -Os", maybe you have a different system though...
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well u didn't have to downgrade ur glibc , u just needed to extract crossover office with paramter --target <ur directory here> and then edit setup.sh and edit function, that returns glibc version and tweak it so that it returns 2.1.
newky2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: AMD64 Crossover office Problem Reply with quote

crazycat wrote:
Well u didn't have to downgrade ur glibc , u just needed to extract crossover office with paramter --target <ur directory here> and then edit setup.sh and edit function, that returns glibc version and tweak it so that it returns 2.1.

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, but can't see where I need to edit the file.

Could you tell me what I'm looking for.

Cheers

p.s I can post the code for setup.sh if that will help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: