XFree86 on SGI Indigo2 XL
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjtl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: XFree86 on SGI Indigo2 XL Reply with quote

Has anyone had XFree86 working on an Indigo2 XL?

I have some problems with it. It compiled fine (didn't even take much more than a night on my 250 MHz R4K), and it detects the graphics chip. But the screen just turns black when I run 'startx'. I can change back to a virtual console, and 'top' shows that WindowMaker runs as well. So X11 works, but isn't usable. Also, I can start X11 clients like xmms and run remote to another computer with music coming from my SGI.

Warnings and error messages in XFree86.0.log:
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType" does not exist.
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module pex5
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module xie
(WW) NEWPORT(0): Option "SyncOnGreen" is not used
(EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "xie" (module does not exist, 0)
Surely neither pex5, xie, nor truetype fonts are not critical for XFree86?

I use a slightly modified XF86Config downloaded from http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/linux-mips/xfree86/

And to the developers: Thank you for your work. Gentoo is quite nice on the Indigo2. I've only discovered two problems yet: XFree86, and that hwclock doesn't work and hangs at start-up and shutdown (should submit a bug report? This was from a stage3-mips3-20040131.tar.bz2 install).
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: XF86Config Reply with quote

Hello, I think I talked to you in #gentoo-mips about this. Anyway, this is the exact XF86Config I use on my Indy for newport. You might take a look at it and see if anything major is obviously different.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~geoman/XF86Config
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: one more thing... Reply with quote

One more thing...you are the only person I've ever talked to that had an I2 XL. On top of that, there aren't many of us that run X on our Indy even. You may try emailing Guido about it. He's the fellow that maintains the newport driver. You can find his contact information on the same page you got the XF86Config.
kjtl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: XF86Config Reply with quote

Thanks. It still doesn't work with your config file, though.
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: hmm.. Reply with quote

I have no clue what the issue is then...have you looked at /var/log/XFree86.0.log to try and find any specific errors?
kjtl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm.. Reply with quote

I've looked through it, grepped for warnings and errors. There seems to be nothing wrong. The Newport graphics chip is detected, and the server starts. It's even possible to zap it with ctrl-alt-backspace (or switch to virtual consoles with ctrl-alt-f*). The only problem is that there's no picture.

I'll fiddle a bit more with it and see what happens.
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: one more thing... Reply with quote

spbecker wrote:
One more thing...you are the only person I've ever talked to that had an I2 XL.

Amen to that.
Quote:
On top of that, there aren't many of us that run X on our Indy even.

Bah, X works great. It's the hours of ekeyword-ing that make most DE's a pain ;-) Come on, it's a graphics workstation :-P

To the issue at hand -- the monitor is syncing, just black? Amazing. I have to say, this stalls my plans to get XL cards for my Indigos...
kjtl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: one more thing... Reply with quote

kalisphoenix wrote:

To the issue at hand -- the monitor is syncing, just black? Amazing. I have to say, this stalls my plans to get XL cards for my Indigos...

Yes, it doesn't change resolution or anything from what is used at the text console. It just turns black. Of course, it could be that it actually tries to change resolution and fails, but it doesn't lose sync.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: