View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: arrgh no computer anymore Reply with quote

After my attempt to install Gentoo which can be read about here.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=13955
I found my HDD as hdg, so using fdisk I proceeded to set up partitions for Gentoo to reside in. On writing of the partition table, fdisk refused to recognise my HDD, so I decide to reboot into windows, I get the normal boot 2k/98 menu, but when I make a choice the computer freezes in one of two ways. If I pick 2k, it gets to the coloured splash screen, and the faded blue stripe keeps rotating, but nothing happens. If I choose 98, the HDD make a strange noise. I have attempted to reinstall both 98 and 2k, but neither installer will start.
I picked up a spare HDD installed 2k onto it, then placed it in my main computer, but when the borked HDD is connected it will not boot. The same goes if 98 is on the spare HDD.
I've even tried using a boot floppy but the computer will not boot with the HDD attached.
The only reason I wan't to boot is to backup all my files before I format the whole thing. But even if I didn't want to backup how would I format if I can't boot.
Any suggestions apart from sending my HDD to a data recovery centre would be most helpful.
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to boot with a win98 or win 2000 installation cd?
You could also try to boot with the Gentoo-installation-cdrom and try to mount the disk.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both win 98 and 2k. I don't really want to do anything with Gentoo for the moment cos I don't know my way round it, and I want to try and back up my stuff.
Although just htought as I was typing this, which I think you're trying to say, install gentoo as normal so it sorts out the parition tables etc, then boot into windows. Icould try and compile KDE, but the electricity man is comign round to replace the meter in a few hours and KDE will take too long to compile.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have jumpers correctly set when you are trying to boot with another hard drive with the original drive hanging off of it? You may have to set the jumper to "slave" if the old drive is going to be the secondary drive on your ide channel.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the jumpers are set correctly, plus they are all on their own channels so it wouldn't matter.
Anyway, ATM all that is connected is a SCSI CD-Rom, which is irrelevant for now, an IDE CD-Rom, and my 80GB drive. I just booted off the Gentoo cd, set up netowrking, and entered fdisk. I pressed v to see the current status of my disk, and there are loads of overlapping partitions. All I want to do is get some CD-writing software on so I can back up my stuff.
I know this is a Gentoo forum, but mandrake has a GUI to install it, do you think that I could use that to sort out the partitions, using disk drake?
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Disk drake just reported that the drive is empty after throwing up an error about not reading it correctly.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the overlapping partitions are not related to your Windows partition(s), you could try deleting the new ones you created for Gentoo and then try to reboot and back up. Whether you can sort this out using disk-drake or fdisk depends on how badly things are borked...

Moving this thread to Off the Wall since it is really not Gentoo related.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the partitions I made for gentoo are inside an extended partition, which also houses all the stuff that I want to backup. I'm gonna look round the net for a floppy based partition program.
BTW I only posted in intallation because, it happened during the gentoo installation.
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have antoher disk, did you? Try to boot with the Gentoo-disk, and both HDD's connected. Try to mount both, make a mountpoint on the working disk (must be fat and not ntfs) and copy the whole stuf to the working disk.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be parted will be of some help. If you have access to Partition Magic, it may be worth a try.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water: its a nice idea, but my working disk is only 2gb, and the stuff I want to backup is 30gb.
Naan Yarr: Looking at parted now.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parted can't do anything, I've got absolutely no working Linux systems ATM so I had to use rawrite to write the img files. Two of the root files had invalid format errors, and the other wont be recognised by the parted boot disk. Although as the parted bootdisk was doing its stuff, I saw all my partitions go up the screen, there are over 60 of them. I think its time to give up, and start from scratch, but being the stubborn kind of guy that I am, I'll keep going. Any more ideas? Please, there is 30GB worth of stuff here.
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can find here some progs that might fix your problem.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay nothing I've tried so far has worked, I've tried partition magic, but I'm having problems booting off the rescue disk.
Here's a hairbrained idea. Reinstall win2k on my working disk, then connect the IDE cable to the borked HDD. Boot into 2k, then connect the power lead, I hoping that this will allow windows to access the drive, without crashing. Will it work, or make my drive worse.
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think trying to plug or unplug anything in a computer while it's running is a dangerous idea. you're gonna freak everything.
I think you have a good chance to blow everything up for good...

What is the make of your faulty HDD?
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the borked HDD is a Maxtor d740x. My mate Starborn has found a piece of software called gpart which I'm running from the gentoo cd, it finds all of my partitions but it doesn;t support more than one logical partition link per extended partition so my stuff is missing.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this once or twice... when my partition table got borked, I re-created my original partition tables (with fdisk) using a list I had printed out from fdisk earlier. This has worked... do this only as a last-ditch effort though.
browny wrote:
the borked HDD is a Maxtor d740x. My mate Starborn has found a piece of software called gpart which I'm running from the gentoo cd, it finds all of my partitions but it doesn;t support more than one logical partition link per extended partition so my stuff is missing.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a printout of my old partitin table but its only accurate to 0.1mb, so I won't be able to put the exact sizes in, and I may end up losing some data.
I'm not sure how to create 4 logical partitions in the same xtended partition using linux's fdisk.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't create it with the exact sizes, you may lose all the data.

You basically create the extended partition to span whatever size you want and then ask fdisk to create logical partitions within the extended partition. All you would need is the "n" command. You can do this as a dry-run and then cancel out changes in fdisk using a "Ctrl-C' or "q". Don't do a "w" unless you are *really* sure you have everything right.
browny wrote:
I've got a printout of my old partitin table but its only accurate to 0.1mb, so I won't be able to put the exact sizes in, and I may end up losing some data.
I'm not sure how to create 4 logical partitions in the same xtended partition using linux's fdisk.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do I create the extended partition, I can only see primary and logical.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably have an extended partition already or have four primary partitions. You can have max. 3p+1e or 4p, AFAIK.
browny wrote:
how do I create the extended partition, I can only see primary and logical.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the max is 4p, extended partitions are just primary partition with a linked list at the beginning to represent the logical partitions. I'm just unsure of how to use fdisk properly as I'm a complete noob to the linux command line.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was saying is that you can have only one extended partition. You may have filled up 4 primary or 1 extended already. You would have to delete the extended partition using "d" and then recreate it to the size you want and then create logical partitions within it using "n".

There is lots of stuff on fdisk on google.
browny wrote:
Yeah the max is 4p, extended partitions are just primary partition with a linked list at the beginning to represent the logical partitions. I'm just unsure of how to use fdisk properly as I'm a complete noob to the linux command line.
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is it do or die, I have all the information I need to reconstruct my partitions in fdisk, but I need to know which hex code win2k NTFS is. There are several options.
7 HPFS/NTFS
17 hidden HPFS/NTFS (doubt its this one)
86 NTFS volume set.....
87 NTFS volume set.....
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

browny,

what happened here? how did you recover your data?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: