Kernel Panic using 1.4 Fixed... dumb on my part
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: Kernel Panic using 1.4 Fixed... dumb on my part Reply with quote

This is the second time I've done a gentoo install and am having problems getting my compiled kernels to work. I'm an intermediate linux user, but have not had much experience with the kernel. I have tried compiling the gentoo r7 and r8 sources and the vanilla sources. I don't remember the exact kernel version but its the latest 2.4 one in the portage tree.

The error I get after I have compiled the gentoo-sources kernels (using make menuconfig, make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install, backing up old bzImage and coping over the new one) and rebooted are:

Code:
ACPI: System [ACPI] (supports 50 51 54 55)
ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (00:00)
PCI: Probing hardware on bus (00:00)
Unkown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Unable to hard kernel NULL pointer dereference at
   virtual address 00000030
priting eip:

//more erroring dumping stuff stact etc

kernel panic: Attemted to kill init!

I haven't spent way too much time trying different options with the vanilla sources but I got this error the first boot:

Code:
Crc Error

I've searched around some about kernel compiling but haven't found anything helpful yet. I'm pretty sure I have the gentoo necessary options like correct filesystem support, devfs, the right processor, etc. Can I take the menuconfig config file and copy it here; is its format human readable? Thanx for any of your help

timmfin

oh yea my PC:
AMD 1900+ Athlon Xp
512mb ddr ram

Last edited by timmfin on Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have ACPI and APM support in the kernel? What ACPI/APM options have you included in the kernel?
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first compile I had ACPI enabled (with the CPU, fan, thermal, and button selected). But most of the following attemps I had it disable since I thought that could have been a problem as well. I never enabled APM.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get the obvious out of the way. You did verify which your BIOS uses (ACPI or APM)? Assuming that you have, does compiling only ACPI 'basic' support turn out any different? Options: "[*] Power Management support" and "[*] ACPI support"
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya bios supports ACPI, it is set to bet enabled through the CMOS settings. I compiled the kernel with just ACPI enabled and no other power options set, but got the same error. I'm still gonna screw around with settings all over the place, I should read more into it as well. Is there anywhere that has good descptions of these kernel options and the kernel compling procedures? I don't know why I didn't have these problems when I installed 1.2 on my machine a while ago. Then I was expecting to have many kernel probs but it worked on the first try. Now I didn't expect to have any probs and of course I did :). Oh well. Gotta love linux, :P .

Re-reading your post I see that I was supposed to enable Power Management Support as well. Gonna try that.
ghost_o
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmfin wrote:
Ya bios supports ACPI, it is set to bet enabled through the CMOS settings. I compiled the kernel with just ACPI enabled and no other power options set, but got the same error. I'm still gonna screw around with settings all over the place, I should read more into it as well. Is there anywhere that has good descptions of these kernel options and the kernel compling procedures? I don't know why I didn't have these problems when I installed 1.2 on my machine a while ago. Then I was expecting to have many kernel probs but it worked on the first try. Now I didn't expect to have any probs and of course I did :). Oh well. Gotta love linux, :P .

Re-reading your post I see that I was supposed to enable Power Management Support as well. Gonna try that.

I could never use the Gnetoo-sources kernels with ACPI support enabled. My machine would lock at the same point every time as yours did. I used jp kernels, ac patched kernels, and vanilla with the latest ACPI patches from Sourceforge and they all worked as expected. I never turn my mcahines off, so not having it is no big deal to me, the preempt/low-latency is more important to me, so I run gentoo-sources without ACPI or APM support enabled.

-G
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just tried the gentoo and vanilla sources with basic ACPI and power management. Gonna try ghost_o's advice now.
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly that hasn't worked either... still trying.
ghost_o
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmfin wrote:
Unfortunatly that hasn't worked either... still trying.

The Alan Cox patches from kernel.org usually have good up to date ACPI support.

-G
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: