View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: xscreensaver locks workstation Reply with quote

My new gentoo installation is fantastic. The only problem is, if the computer is left alone for a long period of time, when I return to it I get no response from the keyboard or mouse. The screen is black, and my only option is to reset. Alt, SysRq +s,u,b has no effect. I'm running gentoo 1.2 with gnome 2 desktop and xscreensaver installed. My graphics card is an ATI Rage 128. Has anyone else had [fixed?] a similar problem? It's very annoying.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: xscreensaver locks workstation Reply with quote

rjm wrote:
My new gentoo installation is fantastic. The only problem is, if the computer is left alone for a long period of time, when I return to it I get no response from the keyboard or mouse. The screen is black, and my only option is to reset. Alt, SysRq +s,u,b has no effect. I'm running gentoo 1.2 with gnome 2 desktop and xscreensaver installed. My graphics card is an ATI Rage 128. Has anyone else had [fixed?] a similar problem? It's very annoying.

Are you sure it is the xscreensaver?
Have you tried to disable it and see what happens?
Also, there might be hacks that you should avoid activating. I know a few used to mess up my system.

Try to deactivate all hacks, except for one, test it and try another one. This is probably the only way to figure out which hack is causing the lock-up.

Erik
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xscreensaver did the same on my sytem. But in my case it is only one module, circuit (a opengl module) By disabling it with xsreensave-demo the problem disappeared!
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ATI driver has issues with the screensaver and DRI (I use a Rage 128 SM and another Rage 128 card). I disable the screensaver.

Hopefully newer versions of XFree will be better.
rjm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the replies everyone. I've disabled xscreensaver and it hasn't happened yet. I've had issues with the graphics card before actually, with opengl, so like you say it's probably the ATI drivers.
Oo.et.oO
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: finding bad hacks Reply with quote

so you can have xscreensaver output certain items to a log including the most recent hack used.
so everytime you crash, log in from outside and copy the log to a new file and find out which hack chrashed your Xserver.

or, make a boot script that copies the file over to one named with the date/time in it or something so when Xscreensaver starts again it won't clobber your file.

this worked for me, and i turned off the offending hacks. actually it's the Xserver which is offending, but i can't really turn that off. :-)

this is with old Xserver and old ATI drivers.

but that machine is gone now so i don't have all the details of what i did.

hope this helps.
-eric
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: