Kernel compiled with GCC 3.x
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Kernel compiled with GCC 3.x Reply with quote

Hi,

I have seen some reports from a XFS user that there have been problems with kernels compiled with GCC 3.x. In fact, there seem to be a problem with *any* application making use of O_DIRECT while doing I/O. O_DIRECT allows skipping the VM for I/O operations.

XFS for instance makes an intensive use of O_DIRECT. ReiserFS seems to do that too. In fact any filesystem can have the problem and database servers are the perfect kind of application that can be affected as it uses O_DIRECT too. The symptoms seem to be corrupted filesystems, wrong file sizes and so on. An exception seems to be on ext3 which is apparently not implementing the O_DIRECT flag.

I have been quite afraid of this, beeing interessted by XFS and GCC 3.2-based systems :( By searching on the mailing-list archives, I have found some related things.

I haven't experimented this msyself as I'm still using GCC 2.95.3 (which doesn't have the problem) but it is likely that there is a problem here. I wouldn't like to get a corrupted FS on my working machines ...

Does anyone know more about that ? I'd like to hear many points of view on this.

Thanks a lot.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using XFS with a GCC 3.1-compiled kernel (stock 2.4.18+SGI XFS 1.1 patches) on both an original Athlon and an original K6 for 3 months with no problems, but not on a database server.
JPz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is not database related. The problem has happened on 'classic' workstations that you would use for your day-to-day work. Simply this tend to appear faster on XFS because XFS makes an intensive use of O_DIRECT, notably in the defrag code.

So I repeat, I have never seen that myself, but this is something that get me afraid. I will try to find the test program that shows the problems and report it here.
JPz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stuffs I could find in my history :

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-xfs&m=103052912304506&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-xfs&m=102994635427507&w=2

I could not find the test program thought ...

Any comment is welcome :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: