View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Messi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD64 stable and working perfect for 1.5 months. Reply with quote

srs5694 wrote:

Are you positive you've compiled and activated the SiS ATA module (sis5513)? Have you tried compiling it into the kernel proper?

Yes, 100%
Both as kernel module and compiling it directly into the kernel, didn't work

Got my Gigabyte K8VT800 today, works like a charm :)
The Elitegroup will be returning back to the dealer tomorrow...

But anyway, thanks for your help :)
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ah.. Reply with quote

GoneGaryT wrote:
Thanks for the info.

While having a search on the topic, this link came up:

http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

and says rather a lot. I have SiL3114 SATA and, according to the link, I'm mildly stuffed as it's either MD with linux or the proprietry driver with XP but not both - unless SiL get their act together for 2.6.

Hurrah for the bleeding edge :?

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but there is support for the SIl3114 ... maybe not the full support that you need though?
cricalix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: K8N Pro works Reply with quote

Picked up a K8N Pro the other day, and it works pretty well. Starting X seems a little slow though, as if the nvidia driver is having issues. Getting the initial login prompt up in text mode also takes time - but having never run Gentoo before, I don't know if this is a Gentoo issue or a box issue.

I don't know if the onboard SATA works, I don't have SATA drives. I believe the chipset is one of the 'sorta works' ones though.

The Gigaraid requires a driver from the manufacturer, and seems to have issues. When I put my 2x120 drives back into the RAID, I'll post an update - I remember something about a 'request already made' error when using the RAID.
molander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: K8N Pro works Reply with quote

cricalix wrote:
Picked up a K8N Pro the other day, and it works pretty well. Starting X seems a little slow though, as if the nvidia driver is having issues. Getting the initial login prompt up in text mode also takes time - but having never run Gentoo before, I don't know if this is a Gentoo issue or a box issue.

I don't know if the onboard SATA works, I don't have SATA drives. I believe the chipset is one of the 'sorta works' ones though.

The Gigaraid requires a driver from the manufacturer, and seems to have issues. When I put my 2x120 drives back into the RAID, I'll post an update - I remember something about a 'request already made' error when using the RAID.

SATA runs like a champ on the k8npro... I have a raptor on mine and boot off it. Haven't tried the raid mode though. In BIOS I just have it set to "BASE".
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two systems:
1) Tyan K8W Thunder with two Opteron 248s, 2 GBs of Corsair low-latency reg. twinx memory (4x512), Gainward FX5700Ultra graphics card, two 37GB Raptors on 3Ware 8506 SATA controller card (having to use a riser card until the upgraded replacement is available), and one Maxtor 20GB IDE hard drive [used for booting the root and swap partitions on sda and sdb (the Raptors)], Plextor Premium CD/RW, Plextor DVD/ROM, LS-120 and floppy drives, and Antec TruePower550 p/s. On sda, I'm running Gentoo with kernel 2.6.3, ext2 for boot and ext3 for root. On sdb, I have Gentoo with kernel 2.6.4, ext2 for boot and reiser-3.6 for root {screwed up the install on sdb, however, and am going to have to redo it [missed Brad's notice about /dev missing on the 2004.0 livecd, cobbled my own work-around (which seemed to work :( but evidently did not)]}.

2)MSI K8T Neo FSR with Athlon 64 3400+, 1GB Corsair low-latency twinx memory (2x512), Asus GeForce 3 card, SBLive, one 20GB Maxtor hard drive, a Creative CD/ROM drive, and a floppy. Running Gentoo with kernel 2.6.3, ext2 boot and ext3 root.

Both machines running great! :D Hey, did anyone else try that miserable excuse for an O/S called MS 64-bit Windows XP? Got the freebie cd to try it for grins and giggles, tried it on machine #2 above, and couldn't get it to work once, in spite of trying it three times with complete HD low-level formats in between and playing with different BIOS settings. I despise MS and it tickles me to see how far they've got to go. :lol:
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get sirius wrote:
Hey, did anyone else try that miserable excuse for an O/S called MS 64-bit Windows XP? Got the freebie cd to try it for grins and giggles, tried it on machine #2 above, and couldn't get it to work once, in spite of trying it three times with complete HD low-level formats in between and playing with different BIOS settings. I despise MS and it tickles me to see how far they've got to go. :lol:

I haven't tried XP-64, but I did try the free demo of Win2003-64 on my system (MSI K8T Neo-FSR, SiS 330-based video). I couldn't get the onboard Ethernet (Realtek 8110S) or my video card working with the drivers from their respective manufacturers. (Win2003-64 didn't ship with them.) It was a useful reminder: Open source "beta" software is often more reliable than fully-released commercial software, and beta commercial software can be (literally) unusable.

Linux is way ahead of Windows on the AMD64 platform. A pity that the reasons for migrating to 64-bit computing aren't yet compelling for most systems....
cbreaker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikshaar wrote:
Personal opinion : I don't want to seem partisan, but I would avoid taking your info for AMD products on TomsHardware.com website. Since the clash two years ago (between him and AMD fans), the editor has become more and more biais against any AMD products... Used to be a good website but not anymore a reliable one.

http://www.anandtech.com/ have some more balanced review I think.

Wow, you noticed it too?

I used to really like Toms Hardware. I thought that the reviews were well done but not overdone, the articles were fair and well written.. Now, it's changed for the worse.

They suddenly decided they weren't going to like AMD as a company anymore, and they also publically stated that they don't like fans of AMD products. If you really like AMD stuff, and will buy more AMD stuff in the future, you're a "fanboy" apparently.

After the whole thing with them vs. AMD users, I've noticed a steady decline in what I used to like about the site. Cookie-cutter reviews. Heavily opinionated articles. Blah.

In case some of you may not know, Intel is adopting AMD's X86-64 technology in their future chips.

I look forward to owning a nice Opteron system and running Gentoo on it. With these things getting faster and faster, the issue of compile times will eventually become a non-issue, and I'd see no reason to run anything other then Gentoo. It's just so easy to use.
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time has passed since this thread became inactive.

I'm getting ready to put a system together now, and I imagine since this thread was active in 2004, some new motherboards have come on the market. I'm looking for recommendations - here are my needs:

(*) Need at least one standard PCI slot
(*) Don't want or need onboard sound or video
(*) Want to put an Athlon 64 X2 on it.

I'm looking for something ultra-reliable and, of course, fast. I've always felt that cutting corners with motherboards was a bad idea. So I am interested to hear from folks who have been running boards for awhile about their experiences.

I've read about a lot of success with MSI K8T Neo. Is this still a popular board? For those of you using it, how has it been? In the past I've used mainly Asus boards, so I'd be curious to hear opinions about those too.
munsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really like Asus I can recommend the Asus A8N-SLI Premium. I've been using this board for about a month with no issues that werent solved by looking at my kernel config.
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat frustratingly, I notice today in researching that AMD is about to come out with a new socket to replace the 939 and which will support the faster DDR2 RAM. As always now I am considering whether to just wait a few months until these new boards stabilize and buy sometime in the fall.

Buying a system is a PAIN; we're always on the brink of something.

Still I think others may find this thread of use.

munsen: I was looking at exactly that board today. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews.
tiketti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asus A8N-SLI Premium gets my vote too. I've been running new desktop system for a week or so, and so far everything is working like a charm.

My system specs for your reference:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD64X2 4800
Asus EN7900GTX
Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G x 2
Antec NEO HE550 PSU
Antec ONE P180 case
Maxtor DiamondMAX10 250G SATA-II x 2
Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU cooler

System runs cool and quiet and is rock stable. It took very little time to install Gentoo from universal 2006.0 installation cd... and it didn't take too many hours to bootstrap and compile 'world' with new make.conf settings and optimizations.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at my sig.

Oh, and yes, onboard NIC and sensors are working fine. onboard sound works too (but is pretty crappy).

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
jellommmmmm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: K8u-939 Reply with quote

Here is my hardware that is currently running gentoo amd64:

Gigabyte Technologies k8u-939 motherboard, on board NIC sound and sata work fine. I haven't tried the on board sensors
Amd X2 3800+
Patriot 4 x 512 MB DDR 400 (2.5 cas supposively, in dual channel but I haven't really checked the timings)

This board supports AGP not PCIe. My GeForce 6200 works like a charm with nvidia drivers, despite its 64 bit memory bus.
If you don't want to mess with those little bitty slots, stick with PCI and get this board.

I had all kinds of crazy lost ticks and instability when I first setup this system. New BIOS and newer Kernel seem to have sorted this out, and now I don't have any kind of clock problem or instability issues. I like the layout of the board too, the air goes right down the RAM slots. Cool and quiet works fine. No hardware complains with my MB whatsoever.

Last edited by jellommmmmm on Mon May 22, 2006 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
m4rku5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, im running Gentoo 2006.0 AMD64 (anything stable except wine) on a
* DFI NF4-Ultra-D
* Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester)
* Nvidia GeForce 6600

And have no problems except with the nvidia drivers (which might as well be caused by my PSU or an instable BIOS version)

Btw be sure to pick the new Marvell Yukon drivers for the gigE onboard nic.

So if you have any of theese components its pretty safe to run them with Gentoo.
Hope it helps someone.
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MSI K8Neo Platinum (Nvidia nForce 3 250GB) and a AMD Athlon64 3200.
Two SATA HDDs from Samsung (SP1614C). I am using shielded SATA cables from Revoltec (http://www.revoltec.com). With the standart SATA cables, it seemed, that the HDD drives had some problems with reading and writing data. With the new cables, the drives do work perfectly.
Graphics card: Gainward FX5900XT (Nvidia)

The installation with the 2006.0 universal install CD went fine.
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quag7 wrote:
Somewhat frustratingly, I notice today in researching that AMD is about to come out with a new socket to replace the 939 and which will support the faster DDR2 RAM. As always now I am considering whether to just wait a few months until these new boards stabilize and buy sometime in the fall.

Buying a system is a PAIN; we're always on the brink of something.

Still I think others may find this thread of use.

munsen: I was looking at exactly that board today. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews.

Don't worry, check out anandtech.com if you are, but the new AM2 socket isn't going to be hardly any faster at all right now (think about 1%). The memory simply isn't a bottleneck right now, so faster memory won't make anything any faster.

And for my hardware, I have an A64 X2 3800+ with an Asus A8N5X motherboard with a XFX 6600GT graphics card. Everything worked perfect. I even installed Gentoo from the Ubuntu 64 bit livecd on raid 0 without any hiccups along the way. IMO linux in general has come a long way in the past few years, and all my worries that I had at first about a 64 bit system were gone in a day.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: