hang on first boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: hang on first boot Reply with quote

I've just gotten through installing gentoo on a vaio grx500. The machine starts to boot and everything moves along nicely until:

setting system clock to hardware clock [utc]... [ok]

After that, the machine hangs. I'm a bit tired and at a loss. Any advice or request for more information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
-zak
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove everything from the kernel that you don't absolutely NEED! It sounds like you compiled something in that you either don't have or something that you have that just doesn't work in linux 100% yet. Go ahead and compile a default kernel (don't change anything unless you have to in make menuconfig) and then see if the laptop boots. If it doesn't boot like that, then try the vanilla-sources. If it still doesn't boot, then start removing more stuff until you just can't remove anymore and have a usable system.

Sorry that this is not what you wanted to hear, but it sounds like you simply marked a kernel option in make menuconfig that didn't agree with your computer. This should get you going again. One of the fun things about compiling the kernel....gotta do it again...

Karl
kalif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough...I had this same problem, and in frustration I pressed control-c (ready to reboot the livecd and look through my kernel config)

Now, I've never known a linux system to be responsive to the keyboard during the init process, but I admit I may be behind the times.

Well, it then completed the normal boot up, straight to the login prompt. I may still have a kernel problem, but at least now I can deal with it without rebooting on the livecd and chrooting.

Hope this helps

Mike
Andersson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem, I'll just type it down here so that anyone searching the forums has one more thing to check.

For me, the boot sequence stopped after Setting system clock to hardware clock [utc], I didn't even get the "[ok]". I recompiled with ACPI in the kernel, and I got a reboot instead of a freeze. Finally I found that acpi was disabled in bios. Enabled it and everything's fine!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: