View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: eclipse segfaults (jvm with signal 11) on startup Reply with quote

Hi,

I have installed 2 systems (athlon-tb and pentium3) with the 1.2 iso-image and used the 1.4.tbz. On the Pentium-System (compiled with march=i686 ...) everything works fine, on the Athlon-System (compiled with march=athlon-tb ...) I cannot start eclipse-motif. On startup the jvm (sun-jdk 1.4.0_01-b03) segfaults with signal 11 and no further output.

I have tried to compile eclipse from source, but ant (1.4.1-r3) also segfaults. So I tried downloading jdk 1.4.1-rc, ant 1.5 and compiled eclipse 2.0.1 from source. But when starting this self-build-version of eclipse, I get the same error, jvm segfaults with signal 11 (with both versions of sun-jdk, 1.4.0_01-b03 and jdk 1.4.1-rc).

It does not seem to be a java-problem, because NetBeansIDE 3.5, LimeWire or Java-Plugin in Konqueror work.

Finally I have tried to install the gtk-version of eclipse via emerge - same result.

Has anybody the same troubles running eclipse or any hints?

Simon
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it make sense to rebuild the whole system with -march=i686? Thats the only major difference between my two system.

How do I do that, if I want do rebuild gcc, glibc, (steps from bootstrap-process) ... also?

Will it impact performance? (At the moment I have zero performance, cause I can't even start eclipse)

???

Simon
chatwood2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running an Athlon XP (optimised with i686 march), sun-java 1.3.1_03. I installed eclipse from the installer at eclipse.org (not from portage). And eclipse works fine.

I am not sure which of the differences between our setups allow mine to work and your to not, but you might want to try a setup close to mine.

- Chris
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon wrote:
Would it make sense to rebuild the whole system with -march=i686? Thats the only major difference between my two system.

How do I do that, if I want do rebuild gcc, glibc, (steps from bootstrap-process) ... also?

Will it impact performance? (At the moment I have zero performance, cause I can't even start eclipse)

???

Simon

Yes, this seems to be a compiler directive issue. I'm not sure exactly what the optimization for Athlon does, but I would recommend trying to rebuild the eclipse with i686 directive, don't rebuild everything yet.

Erik
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik,

I used the motif-version of eclipse directly from there website, not from portage, haven't built eclipse myself. Eclipse seems to depend on some librarys which are built with -march=athlon-tbird.

As I mentioned, I have tried to build eclipse from source, but had the same results.

Thanks,
Simon
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here we go.

I have installed the Athlon-system yesterday from scratch, with CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" options.

Tryed eclipse (motif-version from eclipse-website and gtk-version via portage) with sun-jdk 1.3.1_01, 1.4.0_01 and 1.4.1-rc. It's giving me the same effects, the Java VM exits with Signal 11 and no further Information.

Puhh - any hints what I can do now?

Simon
gojira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have this problem with my desktop installation. I used the 1.2 distribution upgraded to GCC3.2. It segfaults. I then tried to stick to 1.2 with CFLAGS="-mpcu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe". Still segfault.
I finally gave up and use windows instead.
It's very strange, because I installed gentoo several months ago in my laptop using the 1.1a CD, and Eclipse runs well on it.
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really strange, got two machines, one athlon, one i686, both systems quite the same setup. On my i686 eclipse works fine, on the athlon it segfaults.

It's nice, not to be the only one ;o)

Simon
gojira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried both blackdown-jre and sun-jdk, and used -verbose when running Java. Both segfaults, but at different points.
I'm downloading the 1.4_rc1 live CD right now, and see if it works.
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post, if it works, but I don't think so. ;o(

Simon
gojira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actully hoping that it won't work so it makes it easier for people to regenerate the segfault, and help us. :)
(Downloading.... 56%)
gojira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I tried using the 1.4_rc1 Live CD, and mounted my (ReiserFS) partition that has eclipse 2.01 (motif) and blackdown-jre in it.
I'm using the verbose mode output of Java and it seg fault after loading org.eclipse.update.core.model.DefaultSiteParser.
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,

is that goor or bad ;o)

Wired troubles.

Simon
gojira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it tried the Live CD in my notebook (where Eclipse works), mounted my (ext2) partition that contains Eclipse and blackdown-jdk and it segfault at the same point.
Now, should I file a (Gentoo) bug report for this?
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bug report on gentoo, one on eclipse, and another one to the world ;o)

Post the bug-# to subscribe

Simon
gojira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo Bug#8003.
I think this is not an Eclipse bug, because it works on other Linux installations (my Gentoo notebook, my friend's RedHat, etc).
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx

Simon
gojira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using ibm-jdk and it worked fine now. I have a keyboard problem in eclipse though. It does not recoqnize the numpad arrows. Maybe something wrong with my keyboard settings, but I can live with it.
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me too!

Simon
taglass
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works just fine here.

Relevant info:
Distro: 1.4_rc1
Kernel: 2.4.19-gentoo-r9
Processor: Athlon 1GHZ
Version: 2.0 from portage
JRE: IBM 1.3.1 from portage and Sun 1.4 from portage
werpu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Sorry to jump in so late in this thread Reply with quote

But I just finished to install Gentoo.

I have the same problem Eclipse segfaults during the intialization on me.
So far I haven't had any success to get it up and running. I was just asking if anyone already has figured out where the problem is?
werpu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Workaround!!! Reply with quote

Ok I think I found a workaround, you have to run Eclipse in the IBM JDK1.3.1 (maybe sun 1.3.x works as well). With this combo eclipse seems to work. I don't really know where the bug is but the combo JDK 1.4.1 with Eclipse either crashes with code 11 at initialization or crashes afterwards (if the init already is done) quite often, I think it must be some kind of JNI issue (maybe GCC 3.2). So I'd say go for a JDK 1.3.x to run Eclipse and then use a newer one for running your programs within Eclipse.
gojira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think GCC3.2 is the problem. I'm running Gentoo with 2.95 and Eclipse still segfaults using the Sun JDK 1.4.1
werpu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Yes the problem definitely can be traced down to JDK 1.4.1 Reply with quote

I'm not really sure if this is an eclipse problem or some weird stuff caused by GCC and the abi canges. As I said, run Eclipse within the IBM JDK and use as external runtime JDK1.4.1 so at least you can run and compile your programs against 1.4.1

The strange thing is that generally the JDK 1.4.1 performs pretty well on my box. I have a demanding program which basically drains the last bit out of Java2d and this one ran without a hitch. Same goes for JEdit. Its only Eclipse which causes these problems. I'm not quite sure where the problem is, I personally think, that the SWT runs 1.4.1 into a segfault condition.
werpu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Ok I finally found out what the cause is Reply with quote

I finally found out what the cause is. It simply is the gentoo generic kernel. I switched back to the standard vanilla kernel and eclipse now runs blazingly fast (thanks to 1.4.1 which makes a huge difference) also finally wine seems to work as expected (just started putty)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: