View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Which filesystem for AMD64 Reply with quote

I should be getting my Athlon64 from FedEx today and I was wondering what filesystem I should use. Someone told me reiser is quite buggy on the amd64 platform so I was wondering what alternative would be next best? XFS?
madtomkidd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try reiserfs... but if you're looking for stability you should go with ext2... if you want stability with journaling, you want ext3... of course, if you're wanting to mess around with things... go for reiserfs... or, you could install the system on ext3 and setup some storage that uses reiserfs and see how that behaves.

Hope that helps!
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i've got reiserfs for a month now without any glitches, my boot is on reiserfs too.
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im liking xfs, no problems since installing. I always used ext2 for /boot and am using xfs for / everything else gets nfs mounted.
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use reiser for / and ext2 for /boot...I just heard somewhere that reiser didn't behave in amd64. Methinks what I'll do is just use Reiser and see how it goes.
siu00mjt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had reiserfs on my machine and its been running sweetly all the time.
1 * 1024 crucial ddr333
Gforce 7600 256mb
2 * maxtor max9 160Gb ata133 drives
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your reiserfs partitions, its only a matter of time before they bork, amd64 or not.

You can probably tell, I've had to many bad experiences to try it again.

v4 is as buggy as hell, imo.
J.M.I.T.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Filesystems
We strongly recommend sticking with ext2/3 for now. We have had random reported problems with reiserfs on amd64, and have heard of major problems with running JFS on 64bit systems (which definately seems odd considering it was designed for 64bit systems initially). Though we have had successful reports of XFS, and no negative reports at all.

Please report any problems with any FS to me on amd64, also let me know if you have success with one that is marked as bad here.

The reiserfs problems only appear to happen when you copy files from a reiserfs partition to an ext3 partition, e.g. copying a kernel to /boot. It causes a kernel panic, this has been reported by many people.

For further informations read this nice doc about amd64 on Gentoo:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~brad_mssw/amd64-tech-notes.html
Use at own risk...
borh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using reiserfs v3 on my opteron for a little more than 2 months now without any problems. Just make sure you don't mix ext3 and reiserfs partitions, if you don't want to hit the bug mentioned in the amd-64 tech notes mentioned above.
BTW, has anybody tried copying files reiserfs->ext3 with newer kernels (2.6.3 etc), to see if it might have been fixed?
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh....thats interesting. I'm using reiser right now. I have /boot formatted with ext2. Don't really see the point in journaling a 100MB partition that I almost never mount. And if need be I can format it using reiser or re-format / with ext3 after backing everything up. Knoppix is a wonderfull thing sometimes. I will say though that I already installed a kernel and no kernel panic. But I will keep it in mind. Maybe I'll switch it when I get home just to be safe...
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've got my /boot on ext3 and am running reiserfs on everything else. No problems copying kernels (yet). I haven't tried copying from ext3 to reiserfs. *shrug* Maybe I'm just lucky; I assume that warning is there for a reason. I'm on an Athlon 64 3000 / ASUS K8V Deluxe / Plain 'ol Seagate 60gb hdd.
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I've got reiser for / and ext2 for /boot...it all works fine...So I think I'll leave it. I make regular backups of /usr/portage and I build packges for EVERYTHING so I think I'll be okay. Now I think I'm off to fix my 32-bit gentoo (will be used for gaming and possibly a few benchmarks just to test what I've heard about better performance from compressors).
lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't experince the bug here reiserfs/ext2 bug here. Maybe it was fixed in 2.6.3
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using 2.6.2-gentoo-r1 here...
molander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazycat wrote:
Well, i've got reiserfs for a month now without any glitches, my boot is on reiserfs too.

Not trying to start a flameware but it has been my experience that reiser works great for the first few months. After that it seems to get corrupted easily. The tools couldnt fix it and I was forced back to ext3. I have seen this on several of my machines and machines at work. I would advise that you stick with ext3 especially since you are presumably running in 64bit.
TucDemonic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been using ext3 for as long as i have had a amd64 and it works great no issues at all.
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in the Athlon64 gentoo technotes that XFS supposedly works okay. I used to have a link to performance charts between the the different FS's and I can't remember how it performs vs ext3. I remember a while back not being real happy with ext3's performance...I think, if I remember correctly, its CPU utilization wasn't all that great either (a bit on the high side).

EDIT: PS@TuDemonic, actually I'm glad you mentioned this. I'll have to keep an eye on it...and my backups regular. :) I'm really interested in other users experiance with Reiser (3.6, not 4. 4 is still tooooo beta for even me :twisted: )
amax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use only ext3 journalized or XFS (for /home or for /var)
it is highly stable and usable.. dont use XFS for /boot or /

reiser is stupid and slow thing..
all other fs same
mb4guns
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No word on reiserfs updates on 2.6.3, I extensivly tested on 2.6.2 and reiserfs was borking in combination with ext3. But also noticed corruptions on reiserfs only....

ext3 all fine
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amax wrote:

all other fs same

Have you ever actually seem benchmarks on reiserfs? Ext3 is slow by comparision and I can vouch for this in real-world experiance as well. Reiser is MUCH faster doing file searchs (binary trees are a wonderfull thing).
theotherjoe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amax wrote:

all other fs same

look ma a troll...

gee, the main reason for people to use reiserfs in their
production environments is because it's stupid and
slow? - get a life!
amax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe...

reiserfs is not acceptable choice under highl load env..
and, also, reiser is very specific fs. many small files warehousing ...

and... in production mode peoples can use anything :)) for example reiserfs partition for storing large oracle database files ;-))) I see them...

haha
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amax, have you ever cataloged the files on a typical system? What's the average file size, would you say? If I had to venture a GUESS I would say that the average file is well under 1Meg...so if ReiserFS stood up well for these "small" files then I would have to say that it is probably the best one for the job. ALSO, if memory serves Reiser outperforms ext3 in just about everything with the exception of the unlink operation. Since unlinks are far less common than searches or reads, for example, I again would have to say that ReiserFS is the best candidate for the job. Also, a number of high-performance database systems that I have been told about understand how to use a physical drive or partition rather than a file on a filesystem this not requiring the overhead of a filesystem to begin with.

In short, if you don't have anything really and terribly usefull to say I respectfully request that you not say anything at all. I would personally post numbers but www.namesys.com appeared to be down at the moment so I can't. I will say, however, that ext3 is by no stretch of the imagination faster than reiser so please don't make such claims unless you are willing to provide verifiable and reproduceable proof in the form of a GENERAL CASE senario, not some outlandish "well this FS only has 7 10 gig files on it so <insert fs> performs better." The fact of the matter is that most, though not all, are more interested in normal use performance when questions like this are asked. In closing, refer to the first sentence of this paragraph.
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have dualboot gentoo32/gentoo64,
for both roots i use ext3, for /usr/portage and /var/tmp/ i use reiserfs
for /home i use xfs.
noi problems so far
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm happy to report that I've yet to have any issues with reiserfs. Actually I've had better luck with it in 64-bit than in 32. It's survived quite a few hardlocks with X relating to attempting to use Radeon drivers (I know, it said not to...but I had to try) with the only thing being required to fix the FS was the replaying of a couple of transactions. And I use ext2 for /boot and I've not had any issues. I don't quite get the point of journaling a 100MB filesystem that never gets mounted "rw" anyway, personally.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: