Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbletech99 wrote:
I would say that editing the kernel config file is definitely more prone to accidental error. If everything is compiled in then it's more like just downloading a distro kernel from a distro other than gentoo (genkernel is a little sucky so doesn't count).

In fairness, this probably just reflects by bias due to more experience with compiling linux kernels...

the config utility tells you if you have a problem with the file. not everything is compiled in the kernel, but most is compiled as module.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll re-investigate this, thanks...

FreeBSD is quite good as a Server OS, I may try it out as a Desktop OS...

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)
bakreule
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way I'm switching to FreeBSD.

I had a hard enough time getting my girlfriend to accept Linux as her desktop. If I start again with all that "No, the hardware isn't supported, there aren't any FreeBSD drivers", or "Oh, it doesn't work out of the box, I'll have to play around to configure it", she'll castrate me. :wink:
CorpseOfMystic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would say that editing the kernel config file is definitely more prone to accidental error. If everything is compiled in then it's more like just downloading a distro kernel from a distro other than gentoo (genkernel is a little sucky so doesn't count).

Not even close. Linux's menus provide far more options than the average user understands. People are given too much access to things they shouldn't be switching on and off. In FreeBSD's config files only the sane options have to be listed at all. There are a hell of a lot more options than are listed in the GENERIC file, and as for those that are left out, if you don't know what they are it's because you shouldn't be messing with them.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbletech99 wrote:

checkout the man page of config and also /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT for possible options you can put into your kernel configuration guide.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bakreule wrote:
No way I'm switching to FreeBSD.

I had a hard enough time getting my girlfriend to accept Linux as her desktop. If I start again with all that "No, the hardware isn't supported, there aren't any FreeBSD drivers", or "Oh, it doesn't work out of the box, I'll have to play around to configure it", she'll castrate me. :wink:

Maybe I'm in a better position because all of my hardware is supported and everything I needed was configured in less than a weekend. The only way my girlfriend knows what OS she's using on my PC is by KDE version: FreeBSD is running KDE 3.5.1 while Gentoo is still on KDE 3.4.3. Unless she needs Windows (or is using my Mac, her prefered machine), she always chooses FreeBSD now because she prefers KDE 3.5.1 over 3.4.3.

At least while she's using FreeBSD I can be sure that anything she does that requires sound (a lot of things basically) won't throw up any device busy errors. These are quite rare in Linux now with nearly everything supporting ALSA but the odd app still causes problems. I'm looking at you RealPlayer and Audacity.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? KDE 3.5.1 has been unmasked since February 1st.

Unless you're complaining that Gentoo has a stable track as well as the bleeding edge... which I can't see as something to complain about.
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
Huh? KDE 3.5.1 has been unmasked since February 1st.

Unless you're complaining that Gentoo has a stable track as well as the bleeding edge... which I can't see as something to complain about.

Where did I say KDE 3.5.1 was masked? Where am I comlaining about anything? I simply stated that KDE in Gentoo is still at 3.4.3. Would you be happier if I'd stipulated that I was talking about stable?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyfraser33 wrote:
Would you be happier if I'd stipulated that I was talking about stable?

Of course. It's like comparing Debian Stable to Debian Unstable - there can be a large difference in the versions.
RandyB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone still learning unix systems both Gentoo and FreeBSD are challenging. I tried FreeBSD
a couple of months back from the Linux Format cover, but as I needed to get the system working quickly
and had some problems switched over to Suse 9.2. It became unstable because the hd is dying, so
tried installing Gentoo again today on a different hd that I installed into this laptop but no joy as
installation reliably failed with the liveCD from Linux Format. Tried the installation instructions and read that
they were not complete (rtfm-??), so decided to try FreeBSD again and it installed mostly without problems
as I have advanced on the learning curve over the last few months. Much prefer the BSD documentation
so far. Ended up reading this thread after finding it as a result of a google search that landed here while
looking at a software package.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this thread should be renamed to "Invasion of Gentoo!" since FreeBSD was here first and drobbins stole big ideas for Gentoo directly from FreeBSD, ie Ports in FreeBSD was widely known and respected in unix land, now we have PORTage in Gentoo linux land....

In fact, Gentoo is more likely to steal people from FreeBSD than it is from us, I used it again a while back and it's obvious that Gentoo is newer and more polished. The user experience is better I feel with Gentoo and existing linux skills from other distributions are more transferrable to gentoo than to unix, eg the bootloader is different in BSD as is the default shell.

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbletech99 wrote:

In fact, Gentoo is more likely to steal people from FreeBSD than it is from us, I used it again a while back and it's obvious that Gentoo is newer and more polished.

Definately not. BSD users are different mentallity. The only reason they would switch to Linux is if something really doesnt work/is broken in BSD.
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the difference between openBSD and FreeBSD
openBSD seems more apealing to me(more Free(no blobs and no nda)) and more secure
when openBSD write some driver that remplace blobs such as the OpehHAL for atheros cards does FreeBSD use them?
w00dst0ck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference all depends on what you plan on doing with your system. You can use either one to get your very basic desktop needs up and running, but I honestly find that FreeBSD offers the best of both worlds.

All of the *BSD's, NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD share code. So in regard to the wireless drivers, yes, FreeBSD probably did take OpenBSD's code with a little tweaking done to make it fit the FreeBSD kernel design. This is what the BSD License is all about.

OpenBSD is truly an amazing piece of engineering and I love that it's choosen a very specific goal and that is to be the most secure and correctly engineered OS in the world... so far some would argue that it already has reached this goal, and some will not agree. I personally find that FreeBSD gives me the best of both worlds. The security of OpenBSD (with some acceptions) and the flexability of Gentoo and other GNU/Linux systems.

Oh and one thing you probably wont ever see in OpenBSD... nvidia drivers for 3d acceleration, which you can get with FreeBSD and I think NetBSD. This could change of course, if Nvidia opens their drivers code up.... highly unlikely.

Again FreeBSD gets the job done for me, and it also has a great package management system that Gentoo & FreeBSD users love. (Ports - FreeBSD and Portage - Gentoo)

Hope this answers your question.
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
i don't care about the nvidia drivers because i don't have nvidia cards...

by the way
some people say that OpenHal is illegal?
does somebody know why?
mabe it's just illegal in the US if they did not use some chinese wall for the reverse engeenering
W3BMAST3R101
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbletech99 wrote:

I enjoy using it as both. :)
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W3BMAST3R101 wrote:
humbletech99 wrote:

I enjoy using it as both. :)

Please stop bumping every Gentoo-bashing thread you find by adding nothing. Choose one or two and add your opinion, leave the others alone.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried PC-BSD and it was nice, but one thing I noticed immediately was that it was a bit slower compared to Linux, which is one reason why I gave it up.

I'm just straight up used to Gentoo GNU/Linux more than any other operating system. I know the ins-and-outs of it, which is probably the only thing keeping me from going for FreeBSD.

I also am not a fan of Ports. I love the Portage command line, it's great and simple.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baigsabeeh wrote:
I tried PC-BSD and it was nice, but one thing I noticed immediately was that it was a bit slower compared to Linux, which is one reason why I gave it up.

Slower? What hardware you got? I heard that on some latest Core processor motherboards it worked slow but worked 10x faster on same hardware when loaded from VMWare. Maybe some hardware compatibility problem because on my computer PC-BSD feels more responsive than Linux (nForce2 + AthlonXP 2500+). I admit that all nvidia chipsets sucks badly- unstable shit IMHO.
kevmille
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using PC-BSD as well. I really love it. The majority of packages are quite stable. Ports is quite similar to Portage though. I love portmanager but updating packages in Portage is much easier.

I can't wait until the Gentoo/FreeBSD project becomes stable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: