AMD64 in 32 bit land troubles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: AMD64 in 32 bit land troubles Reply with quote

Just a few random thoughts and questions on some things I've noticed and had problems with. I gave up on 64 bit because I have a Radeon 9600.

1. I have the MSI Via chipset motherboard. Through trial and error I have found that I need the AMD AGP controller compiled in (or as a module to) my kernel, the via agp drivers are totally useless. The agp controller really is on Via's chipset though, and not on my processors. Is this the way its supposed to work?

2. The latest 2.4 kernels have no AMD agp support for my processor and I have not been able to get X working with a 2.4 kernel at all (I only tried 2.4 because of the following problem). Am I missing something to get it to work?

3. Games are weird. MOHAA works fine (except for sound, but thats another thread). COD works for about 30 seconds then crash's without fail with cvswinex. Regular wine just complains that my video card doesnt have all the features necessary to play the game (I've even copied and pasted the important parts of others wine config files on the forums here that do work with the same results). The UT2004 demo (linux native) shows me the nvidia splash screen, then the menu ( which is corrupted a little bit) for about 1 sec and kicks me back out to my desk top.

4. Out of curiosity do Nvidia chipset users use Nvidia agp or AMD agp drivers?

I know the games stuff really doesnt belong here, but I was just wondering if #1 and #3 may be related, am I doing something completely dumb not having Via agp drivers on a Via agp chipset. I actually ran with them for some time with identical results. MOHAA is really confusing me, its the only game working, which makes me think my setup is actually correct.
lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no us nvidia users use the built in agp drivers in kernel 2.6 :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: