View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablored
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Gnome2 people? Reply with quote

I was wondering how many gents are running the new gnome2 betas, and what was their method of install.

With an 'emerge rsync' today, spider's gnome2 ebuilds have appeared in my portage tree (currently masked).

I have tried the garnome scripts as well as the ebuilds, and have met a few problems.

I'd like to hear some success stories and see some screenshots. Is it just me or do the k's always seem a little thin when AA'ed? kde related? :)
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: emerge :) Reply with quote

I use.... * drumroll * ...
Code:
emerge gnome

: )

you are... sooo .. surprised, I can hear the "ohh..."
Manny Calavera
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g2 is great work...just too few progs ported

see you,
- Manny -
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I think QT is a better framework (*flame flame*) I prefer Gnome2 for some reason...In fact, I like everything, there is nothing I don't like ;)
I think There will be much more Gnome people when 2.0 got final because many don't want to install a beta and many don't want to have hard work (those who don't know about garnome for example).

But let's see...I have been trying Beta3 (worked well except the panel crashed every ~30 seconds ;) ) and I am currently compiling garnome 0.10.1...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed without a problem after reading what Spider had to say here:
- http://www.gentoo.org/~spider/gnome2/index.html

Here is a shot:
http://geocities.com/canaljava/imagens/gnome2.png

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished emerging gnome2 a couple hours ago. First impressions: This is definitely cooler then gnome1.4 and even though I dont really like the gtk+ toolkit (as compared to qt), i think overall it looks pretty good (themes at http://www.sunshineinabag.co.uk ).
What impressed me more is that it compiled with gcc 3.1 (-march=athlon -O2 -g -pipe) and seems semi-stable (the panel sometimes crashes, but reloads instantaneously). Metacity works and more importantly, AA is on (admittedly not as good as in kde, but works).
Next stop: try to find out the state galeon2 is in and try to compile it :)
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galeon2 state ain't that good :? , well mozilla gtk2 state ain't that good, tried cvs and you have to patch and disable gtk, resulting in no plugins, well you're using gcc 3.1 so maybe that ain't a problem, I'm now trying to compile mozilla with gcc 2.95.3 just to get the freakin java and flash plugins to work, aaarrrgggh :evil: , I hope those plugin guys would recompile their plugins with gcc 3.x. Going to try it again in a little while, now using mozilla-cvs, missing galeon :( .

Cya lX
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: