View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al'Capone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Ogle Reply with quote

I've been following some of the issues with users having problems playing dvd's and compiling mplayer and xine and the obvious question comes to mind
:arrow: Has anyone tried ogle? ogle is very cool and all the other players out there including mplayer are using some parts of its code.

there is also videolan or vlc which in my opinion is pretty straight forward to get going.

I for once tried to get mplayer going and it bombed on me and went to their site to learn me some howto and after reading their documentation all i can say is i wasnt very impresed.

Xine is good but it lacks the refinement of ogle in that you get ogle going and it is like putting it in your home dvd player menus and all

just thought to let all you guys know that mplayer isnt all that.

cheers

and thanks god for linux choice :wink: [/img]
dArkMaGE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... i feel an xine/mplayer war coming on... :) what phun
personally ive only ever used xine so i cant really comment on the others
one thing though, does ogle support other video formats (avi, mpeg, blah blah blah) or is it just for dvds cuz 90% of what i watch is divx avi's so a dvd only player will do me no good
Al'Capone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: xine Reply with quote

just realized that xine released a new player xine 0.9.9 got to go check that out. (is there an e-build ??)

I didn't meant to start a flame war at all just that everyone seems to want mplayer and xine and they are having a lot of problems compiling it.

while vlc is a straight shutter and ogle is the same.

i mean if you can get a dvd player going don't loose all your hair over it try another one.... after all we have choice more soo than microsuck winblows.

cheers

Al

[/quote]
ozric100
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had alway used ogle but I could not get the ebuild to work. I tried Xine and man or man.... IT worked and it worked better the ogle every did. No I had never build ogle just rpm -ihv ... blah blah so I don't know but ... I like Xine alot... oh you need the xine-dvdnav plugin to watch css dvd's. And Yes I buy my DVD's, I just need to watch em.... Take that ya no decss DillWeeds.
dArkMaGE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, its pretty funny... i often have to switch from windows to linux in order to watch movies cuz xine handles more types than windows media player

and to think, i used to _have_ to keep windows around just to watch movies
Al'Capone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozric 100 wrote:
Quote:
I tried Xine and man or man.... IT worked and it worked better the ogle every did

Was that the new Xine 0.9.9 ? (new release?)

Please let me know because the old one 0.9.8 wasn't that hot

Also here in Canada we dont have to care about the DMCA and encryption as much as you guy's do in the good O'le States.

so far the Big White North is still free :P mind you that might change

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: