December newsletter
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaccret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: December newsletter Reply with quote

Hi,

Something wrong with december newsletter ?
gentoo-dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be out in about 11.5 months
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL :)
Timbers2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are newletters gone forever? A note on the home page letting us know the status would be nice.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged above post here.

Please everyone, stop making melodramatic leaps from "somewhat late" to "gone forever." The newsletter is assembled by humans* like yourselves who, perhaps like yourselves, have responsibilities outside Gentoo that may take precedence for lengthy periods.

*Outsourcing to leprechauns, wood nymphs and garden gnomes just didn't work. They have a proprietary mindset, too-literal interpretations of deadlines and won't generally work for free.
Timbers2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, of course, true that the newsletter is edited by people and that they have other things to do. A simple note on the home page would take only seconds to add, and it would stop all these questions. Strangely enough, when something is called "monthly news" people expect it to be out approximately once a month. When it isn't out on schedule, people will wonder about it. I don't think anyone cares if it's late or even skips some months as long as we know what's happening with it. I think that is all anyone wants.
Punisher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why gentoo don't have people that make this tasks exclusively?. Idon't know exactly who make newsletter now but if is a developer who don't time for make this, why don't choose people no developer for this tasks?. For example, choose five or six persons very knowed in forums for make the newsletter.

Sorry for my english.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punisher wrote:
Why gentoo don't have people that make this tasks exclusively?. Idon't know exactly who make newsletter now but if is a developer who don't time for make this, why don't choose people no developer for this tasks?. For example, choose five or six persons very knowed in forums for make the newsletter.

Sorry for my english.

Because no one else has volunteered to do the work.
Punisher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
Punisher wrote:

Sorry for my english.

Do people know that gentoo need volunteers for this task?. Where I can see info about this?.
mgrela
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punisher wrote:

Do people know that gentoo need volunteers for this task?. Where I can see info about this?.

Would you like to do it ?

Best regards,
Punisher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgrela wrote:
Punisher wrote:

Would you like to do it ?

Best regards,

Why not?, but i don't know where i have info about this topic.

Edit: I see info about help for newsletter into newsletter, :lol:, sorry.
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why didn't they publish a short note about this on the Gentoo frontpage? That would've taken like a few minutes to do...
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
Punisher wrote:

Sorry for my english.

I think Punisher's point is that you guys are afraid to relinquish power, so you'd rather have no newsletter than a newsletter run by someone who is not a developer and doesn't want to be a developer.
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
Merged above post here.

Please everyone, stop making melodramatic leaps from "somewhat late" to "gone forever." The newsletter is assembled by humans* like yourselves who, perhaps like yourselves, have responsibilities outside Gentoo that may take precedence for lengthy periods.

*Outsourcing to leprechauns, wood nymphs and garden gnomes just didn't work. They have a proprietary mindset, too-literal interpretations of deadlines and won't generally work for free.

Please everyone who drags up this tired old argument, stop acting as though a couple of minutes to communicate with newsletter readers is in any way unrealistic for people who have volunteered to take on the responsibility of creating the newsletter.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twstd3bc wrote:
AllenJB wrote:
Punisher wrote:
I don't know exactly who make newsletter now but if is a developer who don't time for make this, why don't choose people no developer for this tasks?. For example, choose five or six persons very knowed in forums for make the newsletter.

I think Punisher's point is that you guys are afraid to relinquish power, so you'd rather have no newsletter than a newsletter run by someone who is not a developer and doesn't want to be a developer.

Funny, I thought Punisher clearly and simply asked why non-developers can't be given the job. Take credit for your own conspiracy fantasies please, don't ascribe them to others.

AllenJB gave a succinct, accurate answer: we're not awash in volunteers for this job. "Volunteer" around here means, "show us what you've got." Nothing is handed out for the asking; proven ability to contribute is required. All developers were contributors first and we have valued contributors who choose not to become developers.

Every issue of the GMN contains this section, under the heading Getting Involved (emphasis added):
November GMN wrote:
The GMN relies on volunteers and members of the community for content every month. If you are interested in writing for the GMN, do write in to gmn-writers@gentoo.org with your articles in plaintext or GuideXML format.
We solicit feedback from all our readers on the newsletter. If you have any ideas for articles, sections, or have anything to say about the GMN, don't hesitate to email us at gmn-feedback@gentoo.org.
Amid all the inquiries and complaints here about GMN delays, I've yet to see one member speak up and say, "I submitted XYZ for the newsletter, I see it's delayed--do you need more material?" Not once.

If the community organized a group that produced and delivered a regular stream of quality articles to the addresses above, I'd wager it would be most welcome and publishing delays would become rare. Past issues can serve as style guides and spark new ideas. To make the job even easier, learn GuideXML--it takes an hour or two at most--and submit articles in publication-ready form.

What are you waiting for?
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
timeBandit wrote:
Please everyone, stop making melodramatic leaps from "somewhat late" to "gone forever." The newsletter is assembled by humans like yourselves who, perhaps like yourselves, have responsibilities outside Gentoo that may take precedence for lengthy periods.

Please everyone who drags up this tired old argument, stop acting as though a couple of minutes to communicate with newsletter readers is in any way unrealistic for people who have volunteered to take on the responsibility of creating the newsletter.

Fair enough, I'll keep that in mind. But as noted in my post above, every newsletter contains contact addresses for the newsletter team. Perhaps an interested party could make an inquiry and post a useful status report here.

Better communication would be nice but absent that, it's better to ask than trot out the same old assumptions (on both sides).
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:

Amid all the inquiries and complaints here about GMN delays, I've yet to see one member speak up and say, "I submitted XYZ for the newsletter, I see it's delayed--do you need more material?" Not once.

If the community organized a group that produced and delivered a regular stream of quality articles to the addresses above, I'd wager it would be most welcome and publishing delays would become rare. Past issues can serve as style guides and spark new ideas. To make the job even easier, learn GuideXML--it takes an hour or two at most--and submit articles in publication-ready form.

What are you waiting for?

Since you guys make it so easy to contribute, haven't you ever wondered why noone ever bothers? (other than "too lazy" or "nobody wants to") This argument has been going on for years (every time the GMN/GWN goes on hiatus). I'm not trolling you, but honestly, the problem is you, the developers in charge. You have the power to make it work, but dropping a contact email address here and there obviously doesn't work, yet you won't take a proactive approach (which is fine if you have better things to do). You probably don't care about the GWN so much, but is it really so hard to just let it die (officially)? The people who worked the GWN when it thrived are no longer here for it, and having these long hiatuses just seems to disrepect the intent of those who started it. It's not a bad thing to just stop publishing it (as such) instead of just having it limp to its death in such an embarassing way. I'm really not trying to piss anyone off here, so please don't take it that way.
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:

Better communication would be nice but absent that, it's better to ask than trot out the same old assumptions (on both sides).

Better communication isn't just something that would "be nice". It's simply part of what you do when you volunteer to take on the responsibility of putting out a "monthly" newsletter. It's simply something you do when you take on any responsibilities even as a volunteer.

If the GWN is an official part of the gentoo project than it reflects on the entire project.
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this suggestion already in 2007:

Paapaa wrote:

Since GWN can't be published at constant pace, I propose this:

1. Let's start calling it Gentoo Newsletter.
2. Let's publish it when there are enough stories or some important stuff. No need to hurry it. No need to answer to threads like this.

Or.

1. Let's not have any regular newsletter, but only news and articles posted on the front page whenever they are ready. Why does it have to be (quasi) weekly?

If the devs can't deliver a newsletter monthly, or even announce that it will be delayed, stop calling it GMN. This gives a very bad impression of Gentoo!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: