Help with new Ultra5 install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl_678
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Help with new Ultra5 install Reply with quote

I am doing my third Gentoo installation but on a new architecture. (Sun Ultra5.) The install has been going well and I have configured sw raid on the machine. (Am still booting off of the Live CD) Now I am walking through the installation of Gentoo and am getting muddled in installing support for th onboard NIC on the U5.

If I do a ifconfig, I only see the lo interface so I know that the iface card is not running. So I need to add the module for the NIC. Which brings me to my first question:

What is the correct Kernel module for the onboard NIC on an Ultra5?

I played arounf trying to install different modules that looked right and ran into another problem. I cannot install any modules! Whenever I try to add any NIC modules, I get an error that looks like this:

/lib/<full path to modules>/<modulename>.o: init_module: no such device

Is this an error because I am not loading the correct module or is there something else going on?

TIA for any thoughts.

jl
caspar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the appropriate module -> ask Google
Quote:

/lib/<full path to modules>/<modulename>.o: init_module: no such device

I think it is a general error because you probed the wrong module.
Pcassimans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Ultra 5 here myself and i am installing gentoo on it for the first time myself. I use gentoo sparc release 1.4 rc5 and gentoo did found my eth adaptor. Are you using a dhcp server? Did you type the dhcpcd command? I know this isn't mentioned in the x86 install guide but is in the sparc one.

"It said Windows 95 or better, i tried Linux!"
jl_678
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

I need to clarify this. The problem is not that the module does not exist becaues I check and ensure that .o file exists. It definitely does. (I am only modprob-ing .o modules that are currently installed in my system.) The problem is that when I type modprobe nad the module name, I get that error. That is the same error regadless of the NIC module selected.

JL
jl_678
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Solution!! Reply with quote

Okay this was my bad. The solution is that the module cames pre-installed with Gentoo. In past installs, Gentoo started the network module automatically, but did not in this case. (Is this a bug?) Anyway, I just had to manually activate the interface and turn on dhcp and everything was good.

One final point, for those using RAID. You can restart RAID after a reboot (befre setting up the fstab) using the "raidstart" command. This was not all that well documented.

jl
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: