OK just ordered UEFI motherboard...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: OK just ordered UEFI motherboard... Reply with quote

Going to be doing a lot of reading before it arrives on UEFI and Grub2. I'm sure the community will get me through it, as you always have before. Fun stuff, and I'm going to put my new quadcore CPU to use finally.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/ good reading
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir. New paradigm to lean.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Just got my Gentoo install fully moved over to my new hardware. Fairly easy, since it was a 790 to 990 chipset move. All drama was provided by BIOS to UEFI switch. I'm currently using rEFInd and efistub kernels to boot Gentoo, no grub, grub2, or elilo needed. and will add a new Win7 install soon. Can't say enough good about rEFInd and Rod and his rodsbooks webpages. Good, helpful stuff. Had a bit of difficulty with my rtl8111/8168 NIC, but got that sorted through use of this forum.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup on a new build was to carry over my prior grub2 setup and add Windows 7's boot manager into the chainload. So I kept an MBR setup for the time being (1TB drive with 9 partitions).

Friendly advice. Be very careful on EFI/GPT when dealing with Windows 7 PE (no issues with the older XP, etc. boot.ini setup), particularly if you find you need to migrate partition offset location (due to resize (extending) but especially an actual move of your Windows 7 'boot' C: partition). Windows 7 seems to be fairly storage hungry. After modifying drive partition entries within the registry under linux for the new offsets as Windows 7 no longer would boot (always fun). The PE environment and Win 7 boot DVD will not function properly at all for doing a simple repair to the undocumented newer windows boot manager boot sector entries. Even after changing those registry entries, I had to ultimately disable EFI entirely to get things back fully functional. Your partitions will all show available with their data under the Windows PE in this scenario (with EFI supported DVD boot), but the actual bootsec, etc. related tools and less-manual repair wizards route may act quite broken.

Meaning long story short, you may boot fine to your installed Windows 7 partition offset with some form of (U)EFI on/auto for boot entry priorities (in my case it was on a Gigabyte UD5H motherboard with F14 BIOS which defaults to UEFI auto) but running a Windows repair environment to fix a more complicated and generally Microsoft unsupported boot partition layout change may very well not work until EFI is disabled. There won't be any clues on WHY things aren't working fully. I had to dig deeply to find even the modest reference from Microsoft regarding this being one of the possible causes of their obscure PE fails. The same issues seem to affect Win 2008 Server where Microsoft seems to have the new attitude of reinstall/restore rather than allow a repair as before.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to install it on its own HDD, so that should help, but it's always nice to be warned of obstacles ahead.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you install rEFInd in Gentoo ?

I don't see any packages.

Thanks
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bammbamm808 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to install it on its own HDD, so that should help, but it's always nice to be warned of obstacles ahead.

I did that and I'm using Grub2. It's working pretty good on my setup.
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:

To the best of my knowledge (I'm rEFInd's maintainer), nobody has yet created a rEFInd package for Gentoo, so if you want to use it, you'll need to download it from the rEFInd site and install it outside of portage. There's an install.sh script that should do the right thing 90% or more of the time, so it's pretty straightforward. You can build it locally, but be aware that the drivers and BIOS-boot features require the TianoCore EDK2, for which there's no Gentoo package. (All other features work fine when built against GNU-EFI, but the drivers can really help a lot in many configurations.) The BUILDING.txt file in the rEFInd source package describes the build process and pre-requisites in more detail.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srs5694 wrote:
d2_racing wrote:

To the best of my knowledge (I'm rEFInd's maintainer), nobody has yet created a rEFInd package for Gentoo, so if you want to use it, you'll need to download it from the rEFInd site and install it outside of portage. There's an install.sh script that should do the right thing 90% or more of the time, so it's pretty straightforward. You can build it locally, but be aware that the drivers and BIOS-boot features require the TianoCore EDK2, for which there's no Gentoo package. (All other features work fine when built against GNU-EFI, but the drivers can really help a lot in many configurations.) The BUILDING.txt file in the rEFInd source package describes the build process and pre-requisites in more detail.

This, to answer the question about installing rEFInd.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: