Question on ISO v1.2 (135mb)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INSANE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Question on ISO v1.2 (135mb) Reply with quote

When installing this if you choose stage1-ix86-1.2.tbz2 is it necessary to run the bootstrap.sh to complete installation or is Stage 2 and 3 already done.

Quote:
If you are using the "from scratch, build everything" install method, you will want to use the stage1-ix86-1.2.tbz2 image. If you're using one of our bigger CDs, you'll also have a choice of a stage2 and stage3 image. These images allow you to save time at the expense of configurability (we've already chosen compiler optimizations and default USE variables for you.) The stage3 image now also includes complete linux sources and a Portage tree snapshot, eliminating the need to do an emerge rsync later.

Also 3 installs now I put in passwd as told to and it gives me BASH error or permission denied (usually not found). Any hints?

Lastly. I have 2 IDE HDs and a SCSI HD. I am attempting to dual boot with WinXP and the Windows system files are on the SCSI which is Disk2 (C: Drive). Disk 1 is where I am installing Gentoo and Disk 0 is just Disk 0. That was all in Windows.

Well when it gets to grub Im lost pretty bad, always unsuccessful..

Here is the setup.
Boot: HDD1
/: HDD2
Swap: HDD3

Can someone fill me in how to run that Grub for a dual boot please

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

This wont work along with 20 other ways I tried. I want to just dual boot.

Thanks for the help!
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find more information about dual-booting Windows with Grub by reading the GRUB manual:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/index.html

Take a look at the section on Chain-Loading. Do not use the "Setup" command on any drive where windows is stored. This would erase the Windows boot-loader. You'll need to leave the windows boot loader in place, so that GRUB can give it control of the boot process. That's what Chain-Loading is.
INSANE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I read it but Im more of a LILO user :D Im just wondering about the SCSI and if that would affect the bootup since the system files for Windows are on the SCSI and not the drive where Gentoo is. My main machine is sitting here at the Grub screen right now waiting for me to configure it HAH, but Im afraid I will screw it up, and I prolly will :\
INSANE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I read that and am still completely confused. Im unsure how to proceed because I dont know if the SCSI matters and if it does what is it called in Grub and .... Im lost as you can see hah!

I thought slack was hard when Ive installed it.. wow that was easy! Although I never installed slack with a SCSI. I ran the find /boot/grub/stage1 and it told me (hd1,0) but other then that Im lost. Any help would be soooo greatly appreciated. Feel free to just tell me what to type in!! I dont wanna lose my Windows.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that grub sees no difference between ide and scsi.
I was working with insane on it, and he has 2 ide harddisks (one on master of ide0, another slave on ide1) and a scsi drive. His configuration is definately unique, but after some trial and error we found out that his system sees the scsi drive as hd4, and the slave on ide1 is seen as hd1.

Now, the only thing we have a problem with is when booting on winxp it complains about ntldr not being found, but you hit enter and it boots. My thoughts on this is that we set the mbr on hd4 and not hd0 (ide). I'm not sure if this will fix that problem, do ya think it will?
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1 old IDE harddisk on primary master, and 4 SCSI harddisk drives, i use the IDE drive for RedHat linux (rescue OS), 2 SCSI drives for WInXP and another 2 for gentoo. as everyone knows grub has a unique way of naming devices, actually it depends on BIOS, anyway u can assign it by creating a file called device.map in /boot/grub, this is how mine looks
Code:
localsystem grub $ cat device.map
(fd0)     /dev/fd0
(hd0)     /dev/hda
(hd1)     /dev/sda
(hd2)     /dev/sdb
(hd3)     /dev/sdc
(hd4)     /dev/sdc

I also had problem booting any windows OS installed in scsi drive but it resolves as shown in my menu.lst
Code:
localsystem grub $ cat menu.lst
default=1
timeout=3
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/gentoo.xpm.gz

title Red Hat
        kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10smp ro vga=775 root=/dev/hda2
        initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.4.7-10smp.img

title Nazgul
        kernel (hd0,0)/nazgul ro vga=773 root=/dev/sdc1

title Crome
        kernel (hd0,0)/crome ro vga=773  root=/dev/sdd1

title Win XP
        root= (hd2,0)
        map (0x81) (0x80)
        map (0x80) (0x81)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

Red Hat = self-explained
Nazgul = gcc 2.95.3 base gentoo (soon will be removed)
crome = gcc 3.2 base gentoo
Win XP = self-explained

I hope this will help
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about that.. (although that was VERY informative, thank you!)
What do the values 0x80 and 0x81 mean to grub?
I've read the map section of the user manual, but it only talks about hd descriptors and no hex. (At least thats what 0x80 and 0x81 look like.)
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guessing to just use hd descriptors instead lol.

Well, insane has so many issues with gentoo that he just decided to go with another one for now. (USB Keyboard, etc.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: