AMD 64 Crashes?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxpenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: AMD 64 Crashes? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just wondering, those of you that have bought an AMD 64 with 1gb of ddr400 RAM - have you experianced frequent crashes (complete "freezes") with your AMD64?

I've found that it freezes with my system until I take out one of the 512MB ddr400 ram sticks. Does anybody else have similar trouble (this happens in both linux and windows so isn't a gentoo problem) and does anybody's AMD64's work with a gig or more ram (ie - I'm wondering if its a problem with these particular ram chips, this brand of ram or the amount of RAM).

Thanks,
Kioshen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ressemble to a corrupt memory module. Boot from your livecd again and run memtest on your memory modules. If it doesn't work you could try this one : http://www.memtest.org/

They have modified the original code base to make it work with amd64 and a couple of bug fix too.

Quote:
(ie - I'm wondering if its a problem with these particular ram chips, this brand of ram or the amount of RAM).

Maybe try to specify the MB brand and modules brand if you want to ask this question ... i'm not a mind reader ;). Anyway, I'm pretty sure sure it is a malfunctionning module. I have no problem with one of my servers that happens to be a dual 244 opteron with 2gig of ECC ram. Not even with my other amd64 machine too.
magnesium
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived with my AMD 64 system crashing for far too long, and then I did a little bit of research into it. It turns out that on my particular ASUS K8V-Deluxe there were some capacitors that had blown. It's actually a problem with the capacitors, and not something I messed up.
If your motherboard is an asus K8V-Deluxe and has RLZ-0333 type capacitors near the memory and CPU slots, return your motherboard. I'd suggest RMAing directly to asus so you don't have to wait for 2 months for a replacement like I did.
check out http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=85257 and check your capacitors. If there's brownish/black gunk comming out of it, that's a bad sign.
Kioshen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they had a massive recall of their motherboard. Mine had already been returned (it helps to have a friend in the tech parts business ;)). Like I said next time post your entire system spec. It would have help me more than you know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: