I'm using a mac. OUCH
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: I'm using a mac. OUCH Reply with quote

I would like to take this opportunity to rant about Apple. I'm working for someone who has trouble w/ their macs and am waiting for an ibook to get home. Please excuse my poor proofreading since the maximum resulution on a G3 powermac w/ a CRT is 640x480 and i can't see the right hand side of what i type.

First off, i must say,. in apple's benifit, their hardware is decent (if overpriced) and the powerbooks are just badass. However the OS is pathetic. It is the least organized OS i have ever used. Even Windows is organized, but MacOS is worse than mandrake. Everthing is just sorta lumped together. What is the point, purpose, or even the name of that bar at the bottom of the screen? It has varous config options that are only changed once during setup. Then what are itunes ant quicktime doing on there also. My favoritre topic to rant on is the apple menu. It is a combination app menu, config menu, etc. with no sensivble organization at all.

What i'm currently doing is waiting for the laptop to get home so i can show the owners how to switch printers. Why couldn'yt mac have made the process make sense. (I know how to do it, they just get confused or something.)

Another thing that pisses me off is window shading. I somethimes use it, but for gods sake, there needs to be some way to get those bars out of the way. (I guess that was fixed in OSX).

OSX seems like a great improvement. In fact my client got it from work the day it cvame out. I put it on both the powermac and the ibook, but it ran so damn slow. These aren't the best machines, but they are OK.

And fuinally, my biggest gripe w/ apple. Theior support. Only 90 days or you haave to buy an expensive apple care plan. A replacement part comes with no tech support, jsut hjardware warranty and ano setup support at all. They want $50 bucs to explain to you how to get arround an option they forgot to put in the GUI. (And is probobly used all the time).

This was an airport station, thayt you have to upgrade firmwaare, desktop admin, etc. about twice before the option to use the thing in bridged mode appears.

And that gets me on the topic of upgrades. Why can't i dl 1 patch to upgrade from OS 9 to os 9.2.2 I had to dl OS 9.0 to 9.1.0 os 9.1.0 to 9.1.x os 9.1.x to os 9.2 and os 9.2 to os 9.2.2 before i could inmstall an airport admin util. Why was that even necessary and why wasn't there one patch.

Ok, its out off my system. I'm all better now.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm using a mac. OUCH Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
Please excuse my poor proofreading since the maximum resulution on a G3 powermac w/ a CRT is 640x480...

Since that statement is obviously factually incorrect, it calls the rest of your "rant" into question and suggests that you have very little experience using a Mac. One wonders if you dislike Apple more because you're simply not familiar with it...

--kurt
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm using a mac. OUCH Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
gsfgf wrote:
Please excuse my poor proofreading since the maximum resulution on a G3 powermac w/ a CRT is 640x480...

Since that statement is obviously factually incorrect, it calls the rest of your "rant" into question and suggests that you have very little experience using a Mac. One wonders if you dislike Apple more because you're simply not familiar with it...

--kurt

On this one it is. It may be kinda old, though. its grey.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm using a mac. OUCH Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:

Every PowerMac ever made, including the original 6100/60 has been capable of resolutions higher than 640x480. I believe (but am not positive) that every PowerMac ever made has been capable of resolutions at least as high as 1024x768. Certainly the G3s are capable of at least 1024x768.

Perhaps you have an after-market video card or there are other extenuating circumstances for that particular macintosh. (though I honestly suspect it's user error) However, to state that "the maximum resolution on a G3 powermac w/ a CRT is 640x480" is disingenous at best and calls your entire post into question.

--kurt
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm using a mac. OUCH Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:

I worked on a prerelease prototype of the original Power Macintosh 6100, before it even had a model number. It just had a red "SECRET" stamp on it where the nameplate should go. It did 1024x768.

I worked on a Macintosh IIfx in 1991. It did 1024x768.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a trick to get the res better. On the display size selector ther is no option higher than 640. Could it be the CRT. It is a piece of crap, but i thought all crts this recent could support higher.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be the video cable - I think some monitors advertise resolution availability via certain pins. What is the model name of the Mac? Wait a minute, you said "power mac", but did you mean "PowerBook"? Is it a laptop?
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope its a desktop. Its no big deal, it may be replaced w/ an imac soon anyway. Just a minor problem.
surak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most macs (aside from early laptops & all-in-one macs before the AIO G3 and iMac) allowed for 1024x786, even more if the monitor permitted it (as rac mentioned) and also color settings and amout of VRAM. If you lower the amout of colors used (say, from millions to thousands or 256), it'll free up more vram and allow you to use higher resolutions.

Quote:
However the OS is pathetic. It is the least organized OS i have ever used. Even Windows is organized, but MacOS is worse than mandrake. Everthing is just sorta lumped together. What is the point, purpose, or even the name of that bar at the bottom of the screen?

If you're using OS9, you're probably referring to the control strip and it's not as pointless as you think. It's purpose is to bring common and frequently used configuration options to an easily accessible point on the screen and saves you the trouble of mucking around in the control panels just to do a simple task like changing the volume or putting the system to sleep (including changing monitor resolution :-) ). It's very much like the icons on the right side of the Windows toolbar, but more functional, IMHO. There are also many 3rd party cs modules out there.

Quote:
My favoritre topic to rant on is the apple menu. It is a combination app menu, config menu, etc. with no sensivble organization at all.

Well, actually it's just an app menu, but it doesn't mean you can't put folders, files, or bookmarks in there too. The point of the apple menu is much like the control strip - it's meant to give you instant access to whatever you want to put in there. You can control what goes in there or not, so it can be as organized or unorganized as you want. One great thing I love about the classic Mac OS is I can put almost anything anywhere so I call the shots on organization.

Quote:
What i'm currently doing is waiting for the laptop to get home so i can show the owners how to switch printers. Why couldn'yt mac have made the process make sense. (I know how to do it, they just get confused or something.)

Install drivers. Open the Chooser (in the Apple menu). Choose your printer. Makes sense to me. :P

I do, however, agree with you on Apple's service and warranty. The warranties are too short (1yr), you only get 90 days of phone support and the warranty extensinsions are too expensive. Apple has a history of kinks and problems in new hardware products, but they usually are quick about fixing the serious problems. Going through firmware upgrades can be a pain, but usually it's worth it. As for the system updates, you don't need to do it like that. Upgrade 9 to 9.1 and 9.1 to the latest (9.2.2 is it now?) and everything should be fine.

Last edited by surak on Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surak wrote:
Quote:
My favoritre topic to rant on is the apple menu. It is a combination app menu, config menu, etc. with no sensivble organization at all.

Well, actually it's just an app menu, but it doesn't mean you can't put folders, files, or bookmarks in there too. The point of the apple menu is much like the control strip - it's meant to give you instant access to whatever you want to put in there. You can control what goes in there or not, so it can be as organized or unorganized as you want. One great thing I love about the classic Mac OS is I can put almost anything anywhere so I call the shots on organization.

I think the original implementation of the freestyle Apple menu was a third-party program called HAM (for Hierarchical Apple Menu). What I used to do with HAM when System 7 came out and you could make aliases, was to put an alias to my hard disk in the HAM folder and name it '!' to raise it to the top. That way I could open any folder or file on the entire disk straight from the Apple menu.
surak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there were a bunch of utils like that... BeHierarhic also comes to mind. There was also one that added the arrow function to allow you to quickly run through folders in the apple menu before Apple put it in. Forgot the name.. Pop-something, I think. I found a BCS Mac Software Exhange book from 1992, which lists well over a thousand freeware/shareware apps. Kinda makes me nostalgic... :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info on Apple support. I think this will be a key factor in my decision to avoid using their products. Until now, the combined factors of cost and not knowing if I'd like it, have prevented me from seriously considering their hardware.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prob my client was having w/ the printer was jhe didn't read the box saying to goto page setup in all open apps. methinks the way windoze handles multiple printers is simpler, but that isn't actually apple's fault.

As for the control strip and apple menu, the unlimited config is probobly the problem since everything and its brother installs to it. Even worse than the windoze system tray. But a lot of those control panel applets are pretty useless most of the time.

I'm back on my gentoo com and all is right with the world.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Interesting info on Apple support. I think this will be a key factor in my decision to avoid using their products. Until now, the combined factors of cost and not knowing if I'd like it, have prevented me from seriously considering their hardware.

Why does everyone always bash Apple's support? It's almost identical to what you get with any Windows machine...

90 days of technical support is (at least last I looked) better than what Windows XP gives you since I believe XP limits you to a certain number of incidents. Regardless, they're very similar.

On the hardware side, all Macs come with 1 year of hardware repairs. That's the same as Dell and Gateway and I believe HP as well. Sure, you can get 2 and 3 year extended warranty programs and sure, they cost more. Just like they do with Dell, et al.

Where is this support deficiency that everyone is always clamoring about?

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Where is this support deficiency that everyone is always clamoring about?
In the fineprint, they may not be any different, or Apple's may even be better. I've never used support from MS. I might actually need support from Apple.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: