View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castorilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Ziga's bootcharts working for gentoo, sent patches to Ziga and he merged them.
To install, emerge baselayout 1.11.6-r1 and sysstat, download bootchart from cvs, run install.sh, reboot. After you reboot log in as root and run /etc/bootchart/bootlog stop. Then go to Ziga's page, put the gzipped logs there and save the png or svg.

Here are some charts that I have produced with Ziga's help. You can emerge librsvg and view them with rsvg-view

this chart is the default boot sequence

this chart is the default boot sequence with RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"

this chart is with bug 69854

this chart is with bug 69854, bug 55329 and bug 70689.

this chart is with bug 69854, bug 55329 and bug 70689. Removed coldplug and alsa is on default instead of boot

Enjoy. :)
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged baselayout-1.11.6-r1, tried to apply your modules-update patch and got a reject on /etc/init.d/modules:

Code:
/etc/init.d/modules.rej

*** 81,91 ****
        return 1
     fi

-    if [ -z "${CDBOOT}" ] && touch /etc/modules.conf 2> /dev/null
     then
-       ebegin "Calculating module dependencies"
        /sbin/modules-update &>/dev/null
-       eend $? "Failed to calculate module dependencies"
     fi

if [ -f /etc/modules.autoload -a ! -L /etc/modules.autoload ]
--- 81,91 ----
        return 1
     fi

+    if [ -z "${CDBOOT}" ] 2> /dev/null
     then
+       #ebegin "Calculating module dependencies"
        /sbin/modules-update &>/dev/null
+       #eend $? "Failed to calculate module dependencies"
     fi

if [ -f /etc/modules.autoload -a ! -L /etc/modules.autoload ]

Can someone post the patched /etc/init.d/modules?

edit: I'm an idiot ^^ I had forgot etc-update, now it works
busfahrer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From grub to (console-)login: 17 seconds.

Newcastle 3200+.

Edit: I use parallel boot and have disabled module calculating.
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've skimmed through this and other threads related to speeding boot time, and still can't see what i'm doing wrong (i've removed everything unnecessary with rc-update, and i'm already starting in parallel, prelinking, etc.). but i know i'm doing something wrong, because my slackware install booted MUCH faster than gentoo.

with the same kernel (minus gentoo patches, but with the bootsplash patch and with the same modules compiled in) and, more importantly, the same services (mostly essential stuff, plus a few extras like cups): 13 seconds from grub to login in slackware, 32 seconds in gentoo. gentoo's startup cannot possibly be that much clumsier, so i'm assuming the extra 19 seconds is due to my own ignorance...but it's annoying that something i could do in a few minutes on slackware (i.e. comment out unnecessary sections of boot scripts to speed things up) after just a few hours of experience with that distro still has me stumped in gentoo after more than a year. is it just me, or is slackware's boot process easier to follow?

anyway, i suppose it was good (if slightly demoralising) to see how much faster slackware was...i thought my lovingly crafted gentoo setup was reasonably lean and efficient, but obviously not. now i can work on getting it up to speed. 8O
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you apply the patches safely to baselayout 1.12.0_pre11-r3?
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_irl wrote:
i've skimmed through this and other threads related to speeding boot time, and still can't see what i'm doing wrong (i've removed everything unnecessary with rc-update, and i'm already starting in parallel, prelinking, etc.). but i know i'm doing something wrong, because my slackware install booted MUCH faster than gentoo.

with the same kernel (minus gentoo patches, but with the bootsplash patch and with the same modules compiled in) and, more importantly, the same services (mostly essential stuff, plus a few extras like cups): 13 seconds from grub to login in slackware, 32 seconds in gentoo. gentoo's startup cannot possibly be that much clumsier, so i'm assuming the extra 19 seconds is due to my own ignorance...but it's annoying that something i could do in a few minutes on slackware (i.e. comment out unnecessary sections of boot scripts to speed things up) after just a few hours of experience with that distro still has me stumped in gentoo after more than a year. is it just me, or is slackware's boot process easier to follow?

anyway, i suppose it was good (if slightly demoralising) to see how much faster slackware was...i thought my lovingly crafted gentoo setup was reasonably lean and efficient, but obviously not. now i can work on getting it up to speed. 8O

oh yeah, i still have this memory of my early slackware experience - breath-taking. and i've been demoralised too because my very much customised gentoo didn't catch up. i gave up trying when i could suspend-to-ram my laptop - and ever since i didn't care. but you just woke up a sleeping goal :evil:
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge sys-apps/initng
It's a faster but experimental alternative to sysvinit. All you have to do is:
1. emerge it
2. change your grub/lilo conf to use initng instead of sysvinit (grub users add "init=/sbin/initng" to the end of their kernel line)
3. use ng-update (instead of rc-update, same syntax) to set which services/daemons/whatever to start at boot - the defaults probably aren't what you want

Homepage (with links to documentation and forum):
http://initng.thinktux.net/index.php/Main_Page
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for that link. i'll definitely try it out - after some test my server is waiting:
http://initng.thinktux.net wrote:
Service monitoring is also available, automatically respawing daemons that die without being explicitly shutdown, a critical feature for server systems that require constant uptime.

Soul_rebel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recompiled some apps with -Os instead of -O2 or -O3, seems to improve a bit startup time.
The app I recompiled are: acpid, anacron, cups, dbus, portmap, fam, fdm, vixie-cron
Anything that needs to start fast, instead of to run fast, is better compiled with -Os

I also moved kdm earlier in the boot, and coldplug later, managing almost all my hardware with modules autoload.
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_rebel wrote:

I also moved kdm earlier in the boot, and coldplug later, managing almost all my hardware with modules autoload.

How did you did that? And it's safe (wait for coldplug loading before to start kde -even with autologin-)?
Soul_rebel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70689
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried initng on my amd64 box (masked from portage). could boot several times, but then resulted in a reocurring kernel panic upon loading syslog-ng. couldn't boot with sysvinit no more neither. used a livecd to chroot into my system, un-merged initng AND syslog-ng and rebuilt syslog-ng. i'll wait some time before i try it out again on a amd64 system.
bladus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlinkEye wrote:
i tried initng on my amd64 box (masked from portage). could boot several times, but then resulted in a reocurring kernel panic upon loading syslog-ng. couldn't boot with sysvinit no more neither. used a livecd to chroot into my system, un-merged initng AND syslog-ng and rebuilt syslog-ng. i'll wait some time before i try it out again on a amd64 system.

i've initng installed since 0.3.x on my amd64 system and never had such problems
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladus wrote:
BlinkEye wrote:

i've initng installed since 0.3.x on my amd64 system and never had such problems
how much is the gain you see in the boot times?
xororand
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought that the parallel boot process brought so much performance. I have a basic desktop system with additional services like Apache-2, fnfxd, dhcp on ethernet, etc. RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes" shortened boot time to roughly 60% of the normal time. Here are two charts made with bootchartd-0.8: http://weblog.frexx.de/2006/03/01/gentoo-linux-parallel-startup/
Foxhacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an old IBM Thinkpad 570, with a 333mhz P2 cpu with 128megs of ram my computer boots less than 30 seconds mainly due to compiling the kernel yourself. Another way to startup really fast is by going to hibernation, sure suspend to ram is much more efficiant because it doesn't use any battery life, but hibernation is not buggy like suspend to ram and uses very little battery life. If i use hibernation I can get to the console in 3 seconds, but if i hibernated in fluxbox it'll take 5 seconds. Just thought I should put in my two cents.

d_(^-^)_b
socksz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
i have the command:
Code:
dhcpcd eth0

very slowly, in other distribution, he assign istantly the IP Address,
how can i change it for more fastest command?
Thanks
Kraymer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: suspend to ram is already there! Reply with quote

sebest wrote:
Anyway if you want a really fast shutdown and startup you could use suspend to ram.:
http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/

Actually, for suspend to ram, you don't need the software suspend patches. As root, just do
Code:
echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

(you might have to enable some acpi stuff for that if you haven't already). I edited /etc/acpi/defaults.sh so that this is done whenever I press the power button. This actually works better and much faster (like 2 seconds) on my machine than suspend2!
Quote:
you start exactly where you left. it's the same functionaly as "hibernate" in windows.

Suspending to disc is the other thing. Also quite useful but might need quite some experimenting to get the configuration right.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some topics refuse to die.... :)
Lake-end
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, nice thread!

I am wondering if you people could help me. The problem is that the boot process takes a very long time AFTER the service Local has started.
Service Local itself does not start anything, /etc/conf.d/local.start is empty, I don´t start anything with it. So it is not the Local service that holds up the boot, but something else that comes after that. And that something else is the mystery here. I have nothing else starting after that, at least there is no other output after the "Service local started", it just takes almost 10 seconds from there to get to login prompt. I do have xorg-server installed, but it is not started automatically, I start it with "startx" if needed.

This is happens in HTPC/DVR (Digital Video Recorder) machine, so I am VERY interested to shave that extra ten seconds of. Can you pretty please help me in this?
Kraymer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shot into the dark but maybe you're starting services in parallel and it's not local.start but something else that consumes these 10 seconds?
Lake-end
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, but not that easy unfortunately :(

I disabled paraller booting and the same thing persists.
Does anyone know what/who is responsible for writing that text that comes between "Starting local ... Done" and Login prompt? It goes something like this "This is <hostname>.<domainname> <uname -a> <time>".
Two things happen after "Starting Local ... Done" they are that above mentioned "greeting" and login prompt. I think those are my prime suspects, unless someone else can point a finger at some process behind the curtains :)

EDIT: OK it seems to have fixed itself, I compiled cernel with CPU hotplugable support and HW/sensors for my mobo and now it boots properly, for the duration at least.
EDIT2: Second boot and the problem is back again, weird.

Last edited by Lake-end on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kraymer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, then maybe it's just your ttys taking their time to spawn to the consoles. Reduce their number (/etc/inittab I think) and see if that makes a difference.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: