Need to unplug before boot?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keschrich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Need to unplug before boot? Reply with quote

I've been having a rather odd problem lately which I can't seem to figure out.

When I have to reboot the computer for any reason, the screen doesn't turn back on when the boot process starts and it just sits there. The only way I can get the computer to turn on is if I actually unplug the computer (or turn off the power strip) plug it back in and *then* power up the PC.

At first I thought it was an issue with my computer, but for a little while I had wiped Gentoo and was running strictly XP and it worked perfectly fine.

I'm totally baffled on this one, if it means anything I'm using an Abit KT7-Raid mboard with a Nvidia TNT2 AGP video card..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try disabling power management in the bios (easy) and kernel (requires comiling a new one). Just as a test.
keschrich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, all power management is turned off thru the BIOS, and I never compiled anything into my kernel to begin with, still same problem however.
cerebus_k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem before, most recently on my abit kt7-raid mother board. It stated happening to me when I replaced a bad cdrom (a frequent occurance for me but at $20 per I guess it could be worse) and added a dvd player. I'd do a linux reboot, or hit the reset button on the case and my monitor turned and remained black with the monitor power light remaining yellow. After a few head scratches I figured out that it's something to do with the ide devices not being initialized when the bios got around to accessing them. There is a simple and relativly painless fix. In one of the setup configuration menus for this motherboard there is something like an IDE Delay value that I set to an arbitrary 3 seconds and after that my system reboots without a problem.

And just for those who wonder, I had to reboot to install GenToo.

Hope this helps.

bill
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: