Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>mankei

Thanks! I got the amd64 version installed and working thanks to you. I used the config from the website where the patch is and everything went smoothly.

One question though, do you have direct rendering working?? When I do
Code:
glxinfo | grep rendering
I get 'no'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
ajv
mankei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, from my /var/log/XFree86.0.log:
Code:
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering not yet supported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer cards

The only way seems to be using the binary driver from ATI, but I don't think they have released one for the AMD64 2.6 kernel yet.
gmh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Cant login and get atkbd.c error Reply with quote

Cant login and get atkbd.c error

I get a bunch of atkbd.c errors then cant login
keyboard unresponsive at login prompt

thanks
gmh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Working Reply with quote

Used http://www.muru.com/linux/amd64/
config

Thanks
gmh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Kind of off topic Reply with quote

Hey could anyone let me know iif there is an easy no daming way to remove the "designed for windows xp" sticker from the notebook and the license sticker on the bottom

ajv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the summary of things that aren't ( or I can't get ) working...

wireless - tried the wrapper but couldn't get it to compile. I wonder if I compile it on a 32-bit machine if it will be able to run on this one. I may try later.

touchpad - can't get any of the extra functionality out of it. Mainly I'm pissed about not having tap-to-click or scrolling. Evidently the synaptics driver won't compile properly against the 4.3.99.902

the multimedia buttons - not recognized by xev, I don't know of any other way to find out what key codes they cause

no direct rendering - no solution to this one other than ati giving us some 64 bit drivers. I won't hold my breath.

I haven't tried any of the multimedia card readers, but I assume that you could get them working. Other than these things, I think this laptop is really great!! Hopefully soon there will be more support and we can get more things working.

BTW - If anyone has gotten any of the things above working, please let me know, and how.

Thanks,
ajv
DefconAlpha
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: :( Reply with quote

64 bit linux really doesn't seem to be suited for this laptop quite yet... you really only get a minimally functional linux terminal / vesa X system.

The trackpad does officially suck.

Oh, and my optical drive has already broken in it....
...OS X at last :)
gmh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Xf86config Reply with quote

What are the optimal frequency settings for the display

Thanks
ajv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>DefconAlpha
I agree with you on that one. As a matter of fact I am in the process of doing a stage 3 athlon-xp install on it. I plan on using the 2.4.24 kernel wit it instead of the latest. From my expirimentation it seems as though I should be able to get most of the hardware functioning properly that way.

>>gmh
I am using 37.5-60.0 for the horizontal sync and 50-70 for the vertical and it is looking nice!
ajv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am now running my M6805 in 32-bit mode as an athlon-xp. Everything is working properly ( video, touchpad, ethernet card ) except the wireless card. I downloaded the ndiswrapper and got the .inf and .sys files from the windows partition and everything compiled fine. On boot, the modules load fine. However, I get nothing in ifconfig -a or iwconfig. Also, the little light indicating the wireless card is powered on doesn't light up. I am thinking maybe this is the problem. Alt+F2 does nothing. In the BIOS I set RF to 'On', but still nothing.

Has anyone gotten anywhere with this?? This is the last piece of the puzzle and I'll be happy.

Thanks for any help,
Adam
Elotemuygrande
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran the memtest program contained on the livecd and it showed up with 1000+ errors in a number of locations. If you have this laptop you might want to check it also; maybe they're using very low grade sticks. I'll see if I can get a replacement tonight.
thither
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The touchpad is working great for me, including tap-to-click and scrolling, in both gpm and XF86 (4.3.99.902). I'm running the vanilla kernel.org 2.6.2 kernel with the muru patches.

To get it working I had to add psmouse.proto=imps to my boot string. I also reran the Synaptics drivers in WinXP, which seem to include some sort of flash/firmware update - don't know if this had anything to do with it.

Has anybody had any luck with the modem yet? WinXP reports it at com3, but I'm not having any luck connecting to ttyS2 (or any ttyS? ports). I'm a bit of a gentoo newbie and am unfamiliar with devfs, is there something obvious I'm missing here? I am seeing this in my lspci output:

Code:
00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Intel 537 [AC97 Modem] (rev 80)

Can anyone clue me in?
ajv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the touchpad working great. Only difference is I am running in 32-bit mode ( me --> cheater ). I have pretty much given up on the 64-bit for now :cry:

Anyway, sorry, I can not help you with the modem, I haven't even looked twice at it since I have no need for it. However, I am having hell getting the wireless card working ( which I do need ) using the ndiswrapper package. I dunno, I just can't get it working.

So if anyone can help thither with his modem and me with the wifi card, it would be much appreciated!! :D

ajv
ajv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace to mini pci wireless card in this laptop? We have access to it via the bottom removable panel but I don't want to mess this thing up since it is quite new. So if anyone has, knows how to, or knows where I can get a new pci card to replace the Broadcom one in here, please let me know... I am getting desperate.

TIA
ajv
thither
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajv wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace to mini pci wireless card in this laptop? We have access to it via the bottom removable panel but I don't want to mess this thing up since it is quite new. So if anyone has, knows how to, or knows where I can get a new pci card to replace the Broadcom one in here, please let me know... I am getting desperate.

ajv, have you tried a regular PCMCIA card? I'd certainly give that a shot before trying a mini-pci replacement, and you can get 802.11 cards for dirt cheap these days. You might want to look around and make sure the card you get is supported, though - maybe at this faq.
ajv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> thither
Well, you see, I really don't like PCMCIA cards. I hate having to carry them around and have a bulky antennea sticking out the side of my laptop just waiting to be broken off. Anyway, I ordered a new mini pci card today. I has an Atheos chipset which, from what I've read, should work no problem with the madwifi drivers. It wasn't too bad, only $100 and if I can't get it to work in my laptop I can send it back and get a refund.

This is the one I ordered:
http://www.discountechnology.com/products/wistron-802.11abg/Acer_NeWeb_802.11a%2Bb%2Bg_mini_pci.htm

Wish me luck :D and I will post back here after I get it in to tell the results of my ventures.

ajv
scottymace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: M6805 Modem Reply with quote

The driver is here:

ftp://ftp.smlink.com/linux/unsupported/

It's a pain to use, you have to run an executible to activate the modem. I suppose it could be scripted, but still is a pain.
thither
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks scottymace... I tried the latest version (2.96) from their FTP site, but it includes a binary .o file which is compiled as 32-bit and can't be linked in 64-bit mode (I also had no luck compiling it with -m32). Are you running a 64-bit kernel, and if so what version did you get working?

This seems to be an ongoing theme wrt binary drivers - WiFi, 3D accel, and modem all seem to need them, and I don't know of any hardware manufacturer at all that makes 64-bit binaries available...

Anyways, thanks for the pointer.
thither
scottymace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: M6805 Modem Reply with quote

thither,
I actually am on my third or fourth attempt at getting any Linux distro working. :roll: I think it was Fedora Core 1 that I used to test the modem out, so that would be 32 bit. Also, the latest unsupported driver is mainly for the 2.6.x kernel. If you go back a directory or two you will get the actual "supported" drivers that are for the 2.4.x kernel. I am really having a hard time with power management on this thing. I just tried Fedora Core 2 test 1 and it seems to be closer, but still no love. I'm not really going to worry about 64 bit right now until the ATI and broadcomm drivers are there. I'm going back to Gentoo as soon as I get some free time. It seems to be the best place to be with this laptop.

Scotty
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where yall are going for wireless drivers. But when I was using debian ... damn ... alsmost 2 years ago. I used linux-wlan there website isn't the best layout, but there drivers are pretty good. I don't know what they support now-a-days, but I used them with the linksys ver 2.4 and 2.6 wireless usb adapters. You might want to give them a try:

http://www.linux-wlan.org/
Spoony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the m6805....I'm having a hard time getting it to boot.

Since the whole 64-bit ati driver thing, I just went 32bit, compiled as a generice i686. I'm using the 2.4.25 kernel. I'm not sure which USB module to install. I have noticed that there is no native ps/2, everything is USB based....which sucks, but hey. In my day we had a serial port and we were happy! ;-)

It gets to usb.c on boot, and then freezes....any ideas? I don't know if I want to switch from to the 2.6 kernel just yet. I'm always nervous about new kernels...took me forever to go to 2.2 from 2.0, and I didn't jump on 2.4 until 2.4.15 or so.

One more thing, when my laptop boots, it tells me I've got 1024kb L2 cache. the m6805/7 has the athlon 64 3000+. the 3000+ is supposed to have 512kb cache, the 3200+ is supposed to have 1024kb cache. Anyone else notice this?
ajv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Spoony, I have the m6805 as well. I am not sure what is causing your problem with the usb modules, but I will post my .config file up here when I get home from work. I am using the 2.4.24 kernel compiled as an athlon-xp.

One quick question, are you compiling the usb items as modules or into the kernel?? I have read that on this machine, not compiling the usb stuff into the kernel will cause boot problems. You might give that a shot, otherwise I will post my config file.

AFAIK, the mobile Athlon64 does have the 1M L2 cache. I was unaware that the Athlon64 +3000 was supposed to have a 512K cache, but I am sure that this thing has the 1M cache.
Spoony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did try both (into kernel and as module). It just wouldn't work. I'm gonna give 2.4.24 a shot.
ajv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go
http://avaughan.com/config-2.4.24.32

This is the config I use with my 2.4.24 kernel in 32 bit mode. Everything works fine for me.

Hope it helps.

ajv
Spoony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajv, thanks! I got it working before your post, but scanning your config file helped me remeber a few things I forgot to do.

My tap-on-pad click does work for me. I am using the 4.3.99 devel snapshot of X. I didn't do anything special, just emerged X 4.3.0, then emerged 4.3.99 upgraded by patching.

I can't get my nic card working...I've read alot of things saying that you need to disable acpi to get it to work...tried with and with out...no dice.

Anyone get your wireless card to work?

This is a killer laptop...once its figured out how to get everything to work (atleast work to a functional level) a howto should be written for this laptop. I have a feeling alot more people are going to be buying it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: