Windowed 3D good! Fullscreen 3D bad! T.T
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiryou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Windowed 3D good! Fullscreen 3D bad! T.T Reply with quote

Hello everybody. Im a long time reader, first time writer (always wanted to say that). For the record, im a hardcore windows user but i've since come over to the Linux fold. I've done this about 5 times and this time, Gentoo has stuck. It seems to have take to my Inspiron 8200 quite well and i've had a lot of fun tinkering and playing around, however there is one slight problem.

3DDesktop, Neverwinter Nights and (sometimes) X Screensaver tend to run very poorly. All of these tend to run in fullscreen. However, running Neverwinter nights windowed gives very good performance indeed. It seems that fullscreen is a bit of a problem. The Res is 1600x1200 and my laptop can handle that (at least under windows). Im using the 4496 Nvidia Kernel and GLX with a 2.6.0 kernel (gentoo-dev).

Please forgive me if i've forgotten anything. Im still getting used to this Linux Lark but its going reasonably well. The next challenge will be to get Gentoo running on my base unit, Asus A78NX which from what i've read, is a pain! ^^;; :wink:
Khan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one run Neverwinter Nights in a window and not full screen?
Shiryou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.http://pgshopping.com/mdkxp/en/artcls/nwnfaq.php

Check that out dude. It should help. So has no-one else had poor X 3D performance? It seems to happen with XScreensaver on and off too. I wonder if 1600x1200 is too much for the 3d accel?

Also, have people had the bottom right of their window flicker as if the z buffering was really bad?
creese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resolution might be the key. My laptop (based on a crappy S3 ProSavage DDR) does well in small windows. If I make 3d windows too large it runs out of video memory for all the buffers. It then switches to a partial software emulation that is really slow. Remember your Nvidia card is probably running depth buffers as well as screen buffers. 1600x1200 eats memory fast.
Shiryou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case its a pro and Con of Linux. Under windows, i get 1600 x 1200. Its my flatpanels default display. I have to say, i actually prefer the windowed view to fullscreen anyway so in this respect, Linux wins out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: