Tri-booting... eek
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Tri-booting... eek Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo for about 4 months. Before that I used RedHat for a month. Well anyway, I got frustrated at how some of my software wouldn't run under Linux. Specificly my homeschool software and my sound editing software. And since I need both of those badly, I've got to keep Windows on here.

Well anyway, I'm in Windows now, and I absolutly can't stand it. Yesterday, I got 5 BSOD (blue screen of DEATH!). I've had explorer.exe crash numerous times. Also, XP (and 2k sometimes) doesn't let me change some of my hardware settings.

So what I'm wanting to do is tri-boot Gentoo, XP (maybe 2000.. depends how bad XP pisses me off today), and FreeBSD. Now I'm still researching FreeBSD and if it doesn't support some of my hardware, then I'll just dual boot. But anyway, how would I go about doing this? One catch: I want LILO to be my boot manager? Why, b/c I think it's alot prettier then the Windows boot loader. Yes, I know I can use Windows to load Linux and it would be alot happier about doing it that way (windows that is), but I don't want to. Oh, and why not Grub? Because I could never get Grub to boot off /dev/hde.

So for those of you out there that have done dual- and tri-boot machines, what are your experiences with them, and how hard is it to do?

Here's my system so u all can tell me if I'm gonna have any problems with FreeBSD:

AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz
256MB (soon to be 768MB next week) of RAM
2- 60GB IDE Hard Drives
GeForce 4 Ti4600
SoundBlaster Live! with Digital I/O card
40x12x40 CD-RW and a 24X CD-ROM

-ee99ee2
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tri-booting... eek Reply with quote

ee99ee2 wrote:
I've been using Gentoo for about 4 months. Before that I used RedHat for a month. Well anyway, I got frustrated at how some of my software wouldn't run under Linux. Specificly my homeschool software and my sound editing software. And since I need both of those badly, I've got to keep Windows on here.

Well anyway, I'm in Windows now, and I absolutly can't stand it. Yesterday, I got 5 BSOD (blue screen of DEATH!). I've had explorer.exe crash numerous times. Also, XP (and 2k sometimes) doesn't let me change some of my hardware settings.

So what I'm wanting to do is tri-boot Gentoo, XP (maybe 2000.. depends how bad XP pisses me off today), and FreeBSD. Now I'm still researching FreeBSD and if it doesn't support some of my hardware, then I'll just dual boot. But anyway, how would I go about doing this? One catch: I want LILO to be my boot manager? Why, b/c I think it's alot prettier then the Windows boot loader. Yes, I know I can use Windows to load Linux and it would be alot happier about doing it that way (windows that is), but I don't want to. Oh, and why not Grub? Because I could never get Grub to boot off /dev/hde.

So for those of you out there that have done dual- and tri-boot machines, what are your experiences with them, and how hard is it to do?

Here's my system so u all can tell me if I'm gonna have any problems with FreeBSD:

AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz
256MB (soon to be 768MB next week) of RAM
2- 60GB IDE Hard Drives
GeForce 4 Ti4600
SoundBlaster Live! with Digital I/O card
40x12x40 CD-RW and a 24X CD-ROM

-ee99ee2

Hmm....why not grub?

I've been using it to quad-boot for some time, and had no issues....and our hardware is strangely similar (except I have four HDs!)

IMHO, grub is much much easier to set up for dual, triple, quad and beyond booting. The only thing I had a little trouble comprehending at first was the whole (hd0,0) thing being one number off from the real partition number.

Are you sure that it didn't work because of a silly thing like that?

Other than grub, the only thing I can suggest after that is something like System Commander. I've used it in the past to boot multiple OS's, and it does work like a charm.
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm sure it wasn't something silly like that. At first, it was, then I realized I was messing it up with that. The thing was, it wouldn't rechonize anything past IDE 4 (that's the 4th IDE device, and since I can have up to 8 with my 2nd IDE controller on board, it wouldn't work). Besides, even if it was me, I find LILO more to my liking. Don't know why, just always used it, and I just want to stick with it. Personal prefrence :)

-ee99ee2
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had used system commander once adn had 5 OS on a machine....lol....i dont know why, other then i wanted to try to do it...you can use a software like this to help if you cant get it figured out
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: