Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Whats up with all the load/reload stuff?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Whats up with all the load/reload stuff? Reply with quote

(This is probably related to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=12663 ):oops:

For a while now, this happens 100% of every reload: Login, click the 'view your recent posts' link, then, when I review what was loaded, the page is mangled or truncated. Seems like the page will load, progress bar will reach between 60 and 90% then stall for a half second, then the screen flashes and the progress starts all over again, and this time comes to an end. Even this page where I'm composing this message has a stray string at the bottom:
Quote:
<input type="hidden"
:roll:

Yet....

If I login, click search and search for username, all linked documents seem to load immediately, without the flash/reload trick, and display without failures! :?:

Seems like a handoff is getting interference..... what is this, the NFL? :lol: 8O
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats up with all the load/reload stuff? Reply with quote

dunbar wrote:
Seems like a handoff is getting interference..... what is this, the NFL? :lol: 8O
We can only hope not. As far as I know, noone here gets paid millions and whines alot. Nor have there been any steroid scandals. I don't see any ad banners around yet either. So far it looks like this isn't the NFL.
ejdmoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats up with all the load/reload stuff? Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
dunbar wrote:
We can only hope not. As far as I know, noone here gets paid millions and whines alot. Nor have there been any steroid scandals. I don't see any ad banners around yet either. So far it looks like this isn't the NFL.

According to that, this is also not MLB. :roll:
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber has to be taking andro or something. How else can you stay at the computer 24/7/365 and rack up 2700+ posts.

I, rizzo, call for a FULL inquiry and mandatory drug testing for all forum moderators! And don't think rac will get away with some collective bargaining scam this time.

The real question is going to be whose thread will klieber make his 3,000th post to? I bet I could then auction off my account (Everquest-style) for big bling if he made post 3K in a thread I started.
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzo wrote:
klieber has to be taking andro or something. How else can you stay at the computer 24/7/365 and rack up 2700+ posts.

Try getting a really boring job. :)

Actually, I haven't been posting nearly as much this week. Between managing the slasdotting of the server yesterday and studying for my CISSP, I haven't had all the time that I usually do.

I notice kanuslupus is coming close to overtaking me -- it will be nice to pass along the torch that so many other people seem to place great emphasis upon, but for which I care very little. :)

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
I notice kanuslupus is coming close to overtaking me
Close for throwing hand grenades or something. I've given my opinion on post counts.
dunbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: But cereally, folks... Reply with quote

OK, so my sarcastic humor led folks astray....

Still and again, the problem of load, stall reload, incorrect loading seems to persist, despite my weak attempts at humor.

Anyone else suffering similar problems, or do I have to go back to using Windows 3.11, Mosaic browser and start ranting about Linux stinks, and generally act rabid (foam at the mouth) etc?
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using Opera by any chance?

Otherwise, this is the only report I've received about non-Opera related browser trouble. You might want to start looking at your ISP and/or the path your packets take to reach the forums server.

--kurt
dunbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opera - 6.05, affirmative. Warning: this stall problem only exists w/gentoo forums, I doubt it is my end. I visit many forums using the same (phpBB) software at mandrakeuser.org, linuxiso.org, and linuxforums.org; these forums do not suffer same problems in my Opera 6.05 browser. Lets not say Opera is the cause, because other sites work fine with Opera.

Path? Ummmmm, without divulging IP addresses, what should I not want to see? I see a lot of cogentco stuff. Besides, the path to gentooforums is not the same as everyone else; we can't rule out a problem in the path.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a hunch, I checked something.

mandrakeuser.org: 2.0.0
linuxiso.org: 2.0.0
linuxforums.org: 2.0.0
forums.gentoo.org: 2.0.2
phpbb.com: ???

I wonder if 2.0.1 -> 2.0.2 broke Opera.
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunbar wrote:
Opera - 6.05, affirmative. Warning: this stall problem only exists w/gentoo forums, I doubt it is my end. I visit many forums using the same (phpBB) software at mandrakeuser.org, linuxiso.org, and linuxforums.org; these forums do not suffer same problems in my Opera 6.05 browser. Lets not say Opera is the cause, because other sites work fine with Opera.

Ah, but other browsers work just fine with these forums...

Others have reported problems with Opera and phpbb.com, so it also may not be just these forums.

So, at this point, we know that the problem has something to do with Opera and phpBB. It may be specific to these forums, but that hasn't been determined yet.

Quote:
Path? Ummmmm, without divulging IP addresses, what should I not want to see?

You don't want to see any single hop that has a high response time. (say > 300ms)
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since both of these threads are dealing with the same problem, I"m locking this thread in favor of this one

--kurt
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: