ebuild for Netscape 7?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: ebuild for Netscape 7? Reply with quote

Any chance to see this soon?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving from Networking & Security to Other Things Gentoo.

EDIT:
In doing too many things at once, I segfaulted. I had intended to move this to Gentoo Chat. Why, you might ask. This could be a fine line, but here is why. The post asks about an ebuild that doesn't exist. In the past, these types of questions were put into Gentoo Suggestions. Since there is no ebuild, there is no 'problem', therefore this isn't an Assistance question. That turns this into a discussion. Thanks for you paitence, hopefully noone will be afflicted by this.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I moved this thread twice, I'm just posting to give it more visibility.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, they're up to !7! now?

I haven't been keeping up with netscape (Use mozilla) but are they integrating them together and just calling it 7 or something?
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is the netscape version for linux so old anyway?...i only emerged it once and it was so ugly i killed it almost immediately and emerged mozilla
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, netscape 7 is based on mozilla 1.0.1 (not yet released, work in progress :) code. there are some little additions, like integrated plugins, aim/icq support, a close sidebar button. and some things missing, like popup blocking, dom inspector, javascript debugger, chatzilla, etc (most of them are available through an xpi though.)
I strongly feel like gentoo should have en build for it. its much better than v4 or v6 :)
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
Jesus, they're up to !7! now?

I haven't been keeping up with netscape (Use mozilla) but are they integrating them together and just calling it 7 or something?

Back in the day there was Netscape 4.x (actually, Netscape just released 4.8 earlier this week, so it's not really "back in the day," but I digress). Then Netscape Corp. decided to open-source their browser starting with version 5. Thus the work on the new browser was started (as Mozilla). Soon, the Moz developers found that the existing codebase they were working from was woefully inadequate, so they decided to start from scratch. Thus the Mozilla line that we know today was born. Once Mozilla got to version 0.9 (or something - I don't remember exactly), Netscape made the decision to release Netscape 6.0 based off of the recent Mozilla releases (this, by the way, was a Bad Idea, as Mozilla was still very much beta code at the time, though I found it usable enough to be my primary browser). It was basically the same code as the Mozilla versions, with a couple of extra things, some branding, and a lot of "Shop" and "Buy Things!" buttons. Mozilla repackaged, basically. Later on, they released Netscape 6.1 and 6.2, based on more stable versions of Mozilla. Now that Mozilla 1.0 is out, Netscape's basing version 7 off of that branch.

So it's actually quite silly. I can understand skipping version 5 (which was the version the Mozilla project originally abandoned), but releasing 6 when they did was really a mistake, because the beta versions of Mozilla just weren't ready for prime-time use by your average computer user, and the differences from 6 to 7 basically include Mozilla's progress from a not-quite-complete browser to a complete browser. Version 7 was probably named so for purely marketing reasons, to distance the release from the buggier version 6 line (though 6.2 was pretty good, if I recall, being based off of Mozilla 0.9.9 or something).

The moral of the story: Netscape is silly. Just use Mozilla instead. You'll be getting the same browser. In all reality, what's called "Netscape 7" right now is essentially "Netscape 5," the next major version since the 4.x line.

rommel wrote:
why is the netscape version for linux so old anyway?...i only emerged it once and it was so ugly i killed it almost immediately and emerged mozilla

The netscape version is old because the 4.x line is still occasionally useful. As you could probably gather from my earlier statements, installing the new Netscapes when you've got Mozilla is kind of silly. 4.x will be the last of the old, non-Mozilla codebase, so that's the last line that really makes any sense to install if you don't want Mozilla. I still encounter random pages that just refuse to work under Mozilla (due to horrible website design), which I have to bring up in Netscape to view or use. On slower systems, Netscape 4.x will probably feel a bit snappier than Moz, too, though Mozilla works perfectly fine for me . . .
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, taking a look at an older roadmap on Mozilla's page, it seems that Netscape 6 was branched off of M18, the last of the milestone builds released before they switched over to version numbering, starting at 0.6. So Netscape 6 was really not at all ready to hit prime-time yet. There's also some mention of these things in their FAQ and scattered around on the mozilla.org website in general. I had thought that there was a comprehensive, complete history somewhere on the site, too, but I can't find it right now.
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, One more link that talks about this: http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/history/netscape.htm
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that little history chat doesnt solve our problem, which is : there is no ebuild for it yet !
(well, since its not officially out yet - should be a matter of hours now - its acceptable to wait a little more :-)
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose. I was really just posting it because I wanted to illustrate the fact that Netscape 7 is, for most intents and purposes, Mozilla 1. So if the original poster had wanted to just try out "the new Netscape browser," he might not have been aware of the fact that Mozilla is essentially the same thing. But whatever. Ebuilds for all! :)
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this time its officially out.
check out http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp .
ebuilds ebuilds ebuilds !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: