View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cto2mac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: KDE still wont come up Reply with quote

I have reinstalled again and followed the advice of the forums and to a T followed the install guide and desktop guide and gotten the xserver to start, i even managed to get the virtual screen size to be the same as my physical screen size, but the next step according to the desktop guide is to type kdm, i have typed it and no dice. I did the emerge kde and when it finished the computer said that here were like 2 config files that had to be updated and to type emerg --help config and that only confused me more. I just want my hard earned linux, my wife is really not happy with the computer not being able to be used for normal user applications since most of them run from kde or gnome. please help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE still wont come up Reply with quote

Hi
First, check if kdm exist ( It should be in /usr/kde/(the number of your kde here)/bin
Check if your kde path is in your path.
If not add it to it, logout and login (should be done automatically). You should have in /etc/env.d something like kdelibs, kdedir and maybe kde-env.

gl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to see what files are in /etc that need to be updated run

Code:
#find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'

to run kdm you must be root ...you could also emerge superadduser adn create a normal user then from the cli log in as the user you created and

Code:
$nano -w .xinitrc

to this file just add this single command

Code:
startkde

now as that user from the command line you can just type startx and that will start kde.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: